Expert Forum User

Default Switching from Canon to Nikon?

I've been with Canon since I got my first point and shoot so I stuck with it when I went to dslr.
    A monthish ago I upgraded to the Canon 7D. Long story short that camera has a manufacturer defect and I can get a refund to buy whatever I'd like (another 7D or not). I've noticed that a comparable Nikon is a nice chunk cheaper ($400ish). Reading reviews they are similar. I'm going to go in and look at them today.

Anyone made the switch from Canon to Nikon? I know it seems like a stupid not big deal what's the fuss about, but I feel like it is breaking my brand loyalty which I don't usually have (other then ketchup!) and am scared there will be a new learning curve (I have a wedding to do in 3 weeks).

Expert Forum User

If money is the only motivating factor, I wouldn't do it. You'll have to buy all new lenses. I have more invested in lenses than my body so that would be a deal breaker for me. I guess you could try and resell your old ones to buy new, but it's not guaranteed, right? (I've bought a couple used lenses in the past and I wouldn't do it again.)

Expert Forum User

I was going to say the same thing as Reese'smom. I wouldn't change brand unless the only lenses you currently have are the kit lenses.

I've spent more on lenses than I have on the body, so switching from Nikon to another brand won't happen for me.

Expert Forum User

Just out of curiosity, why would you not buy used cameras or lenses?

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by lc01045 View Post
    I would buy a used body - and I did. But I would not buy a used lenses unless the discount was worth the risk of having a lemon lens. Its hard to trouble shoot potential issues sometimes. The only lens I bought used has needed 200$ in repairs/cleaning in only a year. I'm hoping it will be okay now, but who knows?

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by lc01045 View Post
    I would never buy a body used because digital cameras do not have a potentially infinite lifespan, unlike film. My current body is only rated for about 150 000 photos. For a pro photographer, that body may only last a few years. You can find out the number of photos the camera has taken, assuming the counter hasn't been reset (again, risky!) The savings wouldn't be worth it, especially for entry level cameras. I bought two used lenses and the one made funny noises (I think the auto focus was a bit off). I paid a lot for it too. Both lenses had dust flecks that I wasn't informed about. I could go on. Ha. Now if I want to save $ on a lens I buy it in the US, new. I have never purchased from Kijiji, but every used lens I've seen on there is at least as good of a deal to buy new in the US.