Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Now that I am in ..

What can I do to get ready and help minimize costs? We are paying for this without help so I need to be careful.

Is there a way to find out what books I will need in advance? There are a bunch on kijiji etc but I do not want to spend $400 if they are not what I will need.

If you have done the RPN what were the "extra" costs? Them seem so much hihher than other courses. I know books (which is above question), but what else? A couple uniforms I assume Then?? And will those all be due like the first week of classes? They add up to a lot so I would like to budget.

I absolutely HATE that I have to get a bus pass. I will never use it. It would mean needing more time away from my kids and I have my own vehicle. Just seems like a waste of money.

It has been forever . what school supplies should I buy as they come on sale late July early Aug?

If anyone used the payment plan on tuition approx when are the fees due? I know the first $300 now, but the other $2000+ gets divided in 2 I think Trying to decide if it is better to just bite the bullet and pay it now or to split it due to the "extra" costs.

Really my most important question is the books If I can get them second ahnd at all I really would prefer to.
    Help my Kaitlyn reach her goal of selling 100 boxes of Chocolate Mint Girl Guide cookies. $5 each and we dliver. PM me

http://dawnfitzgerald.myepicure.com/
    But message me directly to order or book and I can get you a special LM deal

Expert Forum User

Fanshawe?

I used the book store to see what the current editions where and then searched by ISBN's to find the ones I needed.

Bookstore - Fanshawe College Retail

Burgandy Scrubs and a pocket pal:

http://fanshawe.bookware3000.ca/eSol...m_cols=&entry=
    Last edited by a_bun_in_the_oven; 06-03-2013 at 08:17 AM. Reason: typo

Expert Forum User

I would make an appointment with the Registrar's office to talk to them about bursaries and grants.

This website updates weekly about grants and bursaries that are accepting applications: ScholarshipsCanada - Find Scholarships, Student Awards, Bursaries & Financial Aid -- I would apply for everything and anything that you qualify for.

For books, I would look up the ISBN's on Amazon and Indigo to see if you can get them there cheaper. Also search the ISBN's on the public library catalogue. I've done that a few times. You can also put up ads around school (with permission) looking to buy used books from last year.
    Married 2005. DD1 2007. DD2 2011. Beta Sigma Phi 2013.
    ... and one cute little kitty!

Those show me what is required for spring and summer I am wondering if there is any way to find out what was need for the fall and winter this year and if they should be the same.

I know about the bursaries etc. Unfortunately we do not qualify for a lot because DH does make just enough. I will go that route but honestly just looking at how to budget for now incase there is nothing I get.
    Help my Kaitlyn reach her goal of selling 100 boxes of Chocolate Mint Girl Guide cookies. $5 each and we dliver. PM me

Expert Forum User

I can let you know my extra costs...I don't remember how much everything was though....what you have to buy may be different though.

Scrubs...you want at least 2-3 pairs.
    Parking at the hospital for rotation. 2 days a week at like $10 a pop adds up.
    Parking pass at the school
    Stethoscope
    Pen light (really cheap)
    24 hr watch
    white shoes (our shoes had to be all white, or as close to all white as I could get).

hmm that's what I can think of right now in addition to the books. I will add as I think of more.
    Lori, Mom to Sydney, Paige and Easton

Expert Forum User

as far as school supplies

I used:

Binders....a ton. I have one for each class
    Dividers
    Highlighters
    paper
    pens
    post it makes these really great tab things...they are clear tape on one end and a round tab at the other so that when you tab something you can still read the page due to the clear sticky part.
    pencils and erasers for scantron tests
    pencil case
    a GOOD backpack. You are going to be lugging around some serious books. No word of a lie our Med Surg text was 21 1/2 lbs (I weighed it on the scale).

again I'll keep adding as I think of stuff.

Expert Forum User

double post
    Last edited by SydandPaige'sMom; 06-03-2013 at 10:15 AM.

Expert Forum User

You should contact your Student Success Advisor in Health Sciences - Melissa Broadfoot, she will be able to answer your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by twinmommy View Post
    You should contact your Student Success Advisor in Health Sciences - Melissa Broadfoot, she will be able to answer your questions.
    Thanks. I did not have this info yet . I did have a very nice current 1st year explain this years books to me today . I will use your info to expand on that. Thanks!!

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by SydandPaige'sMom View Post
    as far as school supplies
    a GOOD backpack. You are going to be lugging around some serious books. No word of a lie our Med Surg text was 21 1/2 lbs (I weighed it on the scale).
    You carried med surg?

I don't even open most of my textbooks so also try to find out if they are used much for the course (some courses cover everything we need to know in the BScN program at UWO without actually using the text, it's more background info, I have literally not even had texts for some classes and still get very high marks).

Costco has pretty good backpacks with the laptop zip up area in the back, I found it much better to keep my macbook with me and make notes on it bc often our slideshows are posted so I just make notes on them.

Dr Scrubs offers a discount for Western and Fanshawe students I believe, you don't actually need to take the coupon out of the agenda apparently and can just say you're a nursing student - I found this out after I bought mine. I found some there that are really inexpensive but I really like the Greys Anatomy scrubs because they are more comfortable.

You can park near the hospital and walk if you want to save a bit and not take the bus when doing clinical, I was usually too late to do it but my ex works nearby so I walked from there and friends walked from a couple streets over where they had free parking.

Friends went as a group and bought stethoscopes online to save shipping and it ended up being less expensive than what was offered by the school.

Some hospitals do not allow wrist watches anymore so I couldn't wear the wrist watch I had from first year in second year, I needed a nurses' watch that pinned to my scrubs b/c STEGH is one that has a no wrist watch policy and I was placed there so it may be a good idea to buy that kind from the start (mine was a couple dollars on ebay, way cheaper than stores).

I'll keep trying to think of how I save money, I'm often better in retrospect than in the moment (I still buy most textbooks and don't use most, lol).
    Alicia
    Mommy to Summer, Avery, and Bentley

Expert Forum User

Has anybody done the condensed BscN at western how is it? Any info would be appreciated.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by /wasn't me/ View Post
    Has anybody done the condensed BscN at western how is it? Any info would be appreciated.
    I graduated from the CTF program in 2008. What would you like to know?