Thread: I'm the Mama!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default I'm the Mama!

Why is it that my 18m baby can say things like tractor,
    dog, please, or can pipe up with sudden sentences like "I like that song" or "who is that?" but can't or won't say MAMA!
    Every once in a while we get her to say it, but when she sees family pictures she says everyone's name and then calls me dada, or nothing.
    If I get back to the daycare to pick her up, she screams and runs to hug me, but when DH comes into a room she screams his NAME and runs to him. Hmph.
    She used to say it consistently; it was her first word even. But she kept losing it here and there as is her style.
    argh. I just want a name!
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

My baby says “hi“ “uh oh“ “all done“ “bye bye“ and “daddy“ but she doesn't say mama! DH says it's because she has a much simpler way of summoning me: “waaaaaah!“

[/url]

Expert Forum User

I have the same experience. The Weehemoth has names for the cats, the car and Daddy, but I am just Neeeeeee - a.k.a. the one with the NeeNee (nursies), and only when he is upset or it's 4am. Hrmph.

I asked our SLP, she said that often the Mamas don't get a name because they are always there - a name isn't needed for something that is never far away. I'm not sure I buy it, but I am hoping that someday I'll have a real name.

04/05/12 & 28/09/12 - Mama loves you, Babies.

Both my girls said Mama first, said it a few times so we knew it was real and about me. Then they dropped it and took a while to get it back. DD2 is 18 months and still only says Mama if she really wants something, if I'm in another room or she's angry at me. Otherwise she says Dada if I ask her to say mama
    I know a fabulous Scentsy consultant

Expert Forum User

Probably it's when you're not around that she says it most.

I only hear Mamamamama when he wants something. He's a Daddy's boy through and through, but if he's hurt or hungry it's me he shouts for.

Expert Forum User

I think what CMR posted about the SLP posted is right on. No need to have a name for someone that's always there....

Expert Forum User

I wasn't Mom/Momma/Mommy until my son turned 4 LOL. Those 3 years waiting for the “Mommy“ to really come out were painful. Especially since everyone else had names.

Today I went into the pet store while dh was in he van with the kids. He and dd swear that babydd was yelling MAMA! when she saw me come out of the store. I will decide to believe them
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Jude says Daddy and lot more than Mum. I agree it's because your usually steps away and she already has your attention most of the time so you don't need a name.
    Dh has taught the kids unknowingly to call me Mum. (he calls his mother Mum) I don't like Mum and would love to be called Mommy, but not one child has called my Mommy despite my constant reminders to dh I prefer Mommy/MOM. The closest I got to Mommy was when Nate was a toddler he called me Meema because when he would get upset he'd say “mameemameemamee“ and it morphed quickly into Meema. Meema is still better than Mum. Mum makes me think of silence...something I don't get! Darn Dh! He gets called Daddy.
    Last edited by Carol; 05-26-2013 at 09:11 AM.
    Cole is 8 years old! January, 2005
    Nate is 5 years old! January, 2008
    Judah is 2 years old! October, 2010
    Avery Grace born & passed Feb 4, 2007.

"Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?"
    Anita Diamant (The Red Tent)