Thread: Sleeping

Default Sleeping

ds2 (19 months) seems to have discovered that if he stays up past 8 he gets time with just dh & I. We can put him down but he will scream and cry (to the point that the floor will be wet!) so we end up taking him out. It's not like he doesn't get attention/cuddles when the other kids are up. Any suggestions on getting him to a normal sleep schedule; he has finally fallen asleep on dh now.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by svanmep View Post
    ds2 (19 months) seems to have discovered that if he stays up past 8 he gets time with just dh & I. We can put him down but he will scream and cry (to the point that the floor will be wet!) so we end up taking him out. It's not like he doesn't get attention/cuddles when the other kids are up. Any suggestions on getting him to a normal sleep schedule; he has finally fallen asleep on dh now.

This is probably why he is crying..... he knows he will get to come out! I think one of you should go in his room and stay in there until he is asleep, not take him out of the room (if that's what you are doing).

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Mum09and11 View Post
    This is probably why he is crying..... he knows he will get to come out! I think one of you should go in his room and stay in there until he is asleep, not take him out of the room (if that's what you are doing).
    Yes, that's what I would do. Keep his room darkened and don't interact with him at all, but stay in his room until he calms down. If he wakes again, go back in. He won't feel ignored but he'll know you mean business. I hope he's not too stubborn.

I sympathise, as my 17 month old has just discovered screaming tantrums. Argh!

well he's screaming again tonight so will try that

Expert Forum User

Part of me wants to say, take that special alone time with him. Tell him that the special time with mom and dad will be over at X time, give him warnings, “5 more minutes till bedtime“ etc. We've fallen victim to this with DS. Tonight is a prime example, DS didn't go to bed till 9:30pm but he is out cold. He is usually in bed by 8pm but he wanted some extra time alone with us.

I was not paying attention to him for a considerable amount of time while staying in his room with him. Considering all the boogers, wet floor and him not stopping screaming - we did take him out. BUT I see a tooth appearing to poke through on the bottom (he only has 7 teeth) so that could be why!
    Last edited by svanmep; 05-09-2013 at 09:35 PM.

baby orajel should help or next time when he starts crying try wrapping ice cube in a small tea towel with elastic band and see if he starts sucking on it- it worked wonders for my dd