Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default Where did you buy your dslr camera?

Most places price match so going with the best price isn't a big deal. I've narrowed it down to a Canon 60D with 18-200 lens kit.
    I generally deal with Black's, I'm not a fan of Henry's. Anywhere else I should be considering?
    Future Shop has them, and I think a 30 day price guarantee as Black's does and I think a few other places, although it is on sale right now anyways, $400 off which is a good price.

Expert Forum User

McKittricks on Richmond Row is a great camera shop.
    http://www.mckittricks.ca/ I've bought several lenses there before, and a fantastic case.
    Married 2005. DD1 2007. DD2 2011. Beta Sigma Phi 2013.
    ... and one cute little kitty!

Expert Forum User

I got DH's at sears

Expert Forum User

Refurbished from canon.com

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I went to Henry's
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

I bought mine at Henrys too.
    My musings about my children, my crafts and everything and anything else can be found on my blog.

I got mine at best buy.

Expert Forum User

Costco and Best Buy

Expert Forum User

I bought mine off the local version of kijiji. I had it checked out at a camera store before purchase. Camera works fantastically and was a fraction of the price new.

Expert Forum User

I bought my first two at Future Shop, and my most recent one at Henry's. Why don't you like Henry's? Just curious, what made you choose the 60D?

we bought ours at Henry's too

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Reese'smom View Post
    I bought my first two at Future Shop, and my most recent one at Henry's. Why don't you like Henry's? Just curious, what made you choose the 60D?
    I've only been in Henry's three times. The first time when I was looking at getting my first dslr. I dealt with a really nice employee. The second time I was looking at getting a flash. I was treated really poorly, he made me feel like crap! I gave it another shot when I was getting a lens and had really crappy service again.
    I like them because they know what they are talking about, but I've been to some of other camera shops and like them better.

As for camera choice, I've been reading the reviews and this seems to be the best camera for what I need before taking a huge price jump and I've wanted to get the 18-200mm lens which it is bundled with for a much better price then buying it separate.
    Do you have a better suggestion?

Do you have a better suggestion?

Expert Forum User

I'm hugely opinionated on this topic having had three bodies, and several lenses. I would never have wasted my money on some of the things I purchased, which is why I'm so opinionated., but I also had no guidance, which is why I will share my views to anyone who will listen. I guess it depends on your reasons for upgrading the body too. I think you mentioned having one of the Rebels before. If you are using it for business, I would upgrade (at least at some point), particularly if you are doing weddings. I have an older Rebel and it doesn't perform well past ISO 400, which is one of my favourite things about my Mark ii (5D). I am not that familiar with the 60D, but if you are considering using it for business at some point, I would rather save for the 7D or 5D (if you want full frame). They are both considered semi-pro bodies. (I don't know where the 60D falls in function wise, but I know it's price point is above the Rebel and below the 7D.) If it's not for business (or maybe even if it is), than I would personally rather invest in new lenses because I think if you are upgrading, you are probably hoping to see something different in your photos, and you'll see more difference by switching lenses than by upgrading a body. I know the difference between my entry level SLR body and my semi pro one, but I doubt many other people would really notice the difference in my work. It's good for those tricky situations like low light, but the Rebel is just fine for most every day stuff. As for lenses, that's largely a matter of personal preference, I think. Just know what you are expecting of a lens. (I don't use zoom lenses at all anymore. Prime suits my style).
    I bought my camera from Henry's online. That sucks about the service. I buy all of my equipment online, which is probably best for me because I don't like people making me feel like crap. Ha.
    Edited to add to my novel. I looked at that lens. It's pretty expensive for a non L series lens. I would definitely test it or read some reviews to make sure it's worth it for you (even if it is discounted). I like DigitalRev TV reviews on Youtube. He has several hands on comparison videos on Canon Lens and bodies. He pretty much helped me choose my latest lens.
    Last edited by Reese'smom; 05-08-2013 at 11:24 PM.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Reese'smom View Post
    I'm hugely opinionated on this topic having had three bodies, and several lenses. I would never have wasted my money on some of the things I purchased, which is why I'm so opinionated., but I also had no guidance, which is why I will share my views to anyone who will listen. I guess it depends on your reasons for upgrading the body too. I think you mentioned having one of the Rebels before. If you are using it for business, I would upgrade (at least at some point), particularly if you are doing weddings. I have an older Rebel and it doesn't perform well past ISO 400, which is one of my favourite things about my Mark ii (5D). I am not that familiar with the 60D, but if you are considering using it for business at some point, I would rather save for the 7D or 5D (if you want full frame). They are both considered semi-pro bodies. (I don't know where the 60D falls in function wise, but I know it's price point is above the Rebel and below the 7D.) If it's not for business (or maybe even if it is), than I would personally rather invest in new lenses because I think if you are upgrading, you are probably hoping to see something different in your photos, and you'll see more difference by switching lenses than by upgrading a body. I know the difference between my entry level SLR body and my semi pro one, but I doubt many other people would really notice the difference in my work. It's good for those tricky situations like low light, but the Rebel is just fine for most every day stuff. As for lenses, that's largely a matter of personal preference, I think. Just know what you are expecting of a lens. (I don't use zoom lenses at all anymore. Prime suits my style).
    I bought my camera from Henry's online. That sucks about the service. I buy all of my equipment online, which is probably best for me because I don't like people making me feel like crap. Ha.
    Edited to add to my novel. I looked at that lens. It's pretty expensive for a non L series lens. I would definitely test it or read some reviews to make sure it's worth it for you (even if it is discounted). I like DigitalRev TV reviews on Youtube. He has several hands on comparison videos on Canon Lens and bodies. He pretty much helped me choose my latest lens.
    I have learnt a lot since buying a few things as well and have mostly made good choices but regret a few things.
    And yes, it is mostly because of the grain beyond 400 ISO that I am upgrading, it is terrible!
    I have my first wedding this summer.
    Thanks for your help, I'll look further into the 5D and 7D as that is what I was originally thinking but after checking out some professional reviews decided I didn't need them. I'll look further into that.
    And for the lens, I am constantly back and forth between my 55-250 and 18-55 so I like the idea of having the 18-200 instead of carrying around both my lenses and having to switch. I do use my 50mm lens a lot as well but when I'm out with the kids I prefer zoom.
    Last edited by sardam; 05-09-2013 at 03:21 PM.

I bought my first DSLR at Mostly Digital and my second at Henry's. Henry's does price match and I found a place in Toronto that was selling the body I wanted for significantly less than I could find it locally. I knew exactly what I wanted when I went in and found customer service to be fine... although I was more concerned with having somewhere local to take it if I had issues and I haven't had any issues yet.

I agree with Reese'smom, I'd invest as much in the lenses as you can as that's where you'll see the most difference in your images.
    Last edited by whirlygirl; 05-09-2013 at 10:41 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast