Expert Forum User

Default Toddler Hearing Tests?

DH thinks I'm nuts, that DS is just being a boy/toddler/kid, but I don't know!
    I know I am sensitive to sudden loud sounds (ie. if I'm going to a concert it doesn't bother me, I expect it, but when there's a commercial that is suddenly louder than the rest, I turn the TV way down), but I often wonder if DS is just being a kid/toddler/boy, or if him being loud is that he can't hear everything as well as we can?
    If we whisper he listens and understands, and will repeat, most often not in a whisper back, but in a loud-ish indoor voice.
    Thoughts anyone?

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

If you cover your mouth and talk to him, does he respond? If you're standing behind him? If you whisper?

We thought DD2 had some hearing loss last year. We got a referral to an ENT for something else and then when we mentioned this they did a hearing test. Turns out it was temporary from a cold she had. She came in my room in the middle of the night and was inches from my face, dead silent house and she couldn't hear me whispering to her. Her hearing is just fine, but man, she is a loud loud loud kid. There is no 'indoor voice' unless she's around strangers and being shy.

I'm confused! You're worried because he responds loudly? If he can hear you whisper and loudly I think you're in the clear. DD1 is JUST learning to speak quieter and it's been an ongoing challenge since she was little.
    I know a fabulous Scentsy consultant

Expert Forum User

I'm worried because he doesn't seem to have a quiet, whisper voice....EVER.... PP you know him, he will mimick and do whatever people do a lot of the time, but it just seems like he is loud ALL THE TIME!

Quiet, whisper voices take time to learn. DD1 is JUST learning hers.

Your DS isn't particularly loud, at least I don't find he is.
    I know a fabulous Scentsy consultant

Expert Forum User

You can self refer to a hearing clinic at Western. We went there with DS1 when we and his teachers thought he might have some hearing difficulty. They were really great with him.
    H.A. Leeper Speech & Hearing Clinic - The University of Western Ontario - Contact Us

Expert Forum User

I think it may just be age and exploration. The Weehemoth is learning about whispering, thinks its funny, but cannot for the life of him immitate it. When we did our initial assessment through Tyke Talk, I brought up concerns about his hearing. What I was told was that if the child passed the newborn screening (done in the hospital) and have not had ear infections, hearing loss is unlikely. But, as a pp said, you can get a hearing test done. We are choosing not to test, because we know that the Weehemoth can hear us and does understand us, but that he chooses to ignore us.
    Last edited by CMR78; 05-07-2013 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Autocorrect strikes again...

04/05/12 & 28/09/12 - Mama loves you, Babies.

M just turned 4 in March and still cannot mimick a whisper. He knows how to whisper but we have never been able to have a whispery conversation as of yet. If you think he should have his hearing screened, like a PP posted mentioned, you can do a parent referral at the H.P Leeper Speech and Hearing Clinic. They are wonderful there My 25mth old has a bilateral hearing impairment. If you have any questions, you can always pm me.
    Last edited by Sdiana78; 05-07-2013 at 01:05 AM.
    "A parent's love is whole no matter how many times divided." Robert Brault

Proud mommy of three wonderful boys

We used to joke that my son was born without an indoor voice. He was always loud until he was 5 or so. I'm pretty sure he gets it from my ex mother in law.

My youngest daughter was similar but we found that by 4 or 5 she was struggling to hear quiet sounds and kept asking everyone to repeat themselves. My sister being an audiologist at Sick Kids hospital, she recommended we bring her in for testing. Turns out she had some pretty serious hearing loss due to fluid in her ears. She had tubes put in and suddenly started complaining that everything was too loud. She's been fine ever since the tubes. It was a simple procedure but made a world of difference.
    Chris Eh Young
    Speaker, Strategist, Simplifier
    www.B2Cy.com

Expert Forum User

i had dd1 tested. she has/had wax build up and hearins loss. we had to put oil in her ears and then take her to the family doctor to get it flushed out. it made a world of difference. now we have to watch for it and swimming, summer, makes it worse for her somehow. once she starts saying what and we have to repeat everything a bazzillion times we start the oil. absolutely no qtips ever for this girl.