Default Vitamin D and cycle spotting

Ladies:

just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience as me. i was taking vitamin d tablets a while back, and noticed it was making me spot during my cycle... at first i thought it was implantation bleeding but i was not pregnant. I figured it out that the vit d was the only different thing that i had done, and stopped taking it because i did not think it was a good idea.

has this happened to anyone else? i dont think i was taking more than a normal dose.

I am just worried that it will mess my cycle up again ( I just started taking maltelevol to hopefully get some nutrients in to my body to help me conceive ( for those of you that dont know it is apparently the Canadian version of geritol which apparently many woman swear by it to help them conceive. The problem with the maltelvol is that it has vit d in it... i dont know if by taking it it will make me spot and mess up my cycle which in turn will mess up my ttc in about 2 weeks time...any opionions.. thoughts.. what i should do?

Expert Forum User

Have you ttc without taking supplements?
    It seems all your posts are about all these pills you're trying on a monthly basis and when they didn't work 1 month your on to the next set - not trying to sound harsh here or offend you, I do feel for you but I think of pills, no matter the type, as something that takes time to kick in, so if you're supplementing for 1 month you're not really giving them a lot of time to get into your system and stay there. Then you're switching to a different pill the next month... do you see what I'm trying to say??

Maybe take a break from supplements for a bit, concentrate less on ttc and more on just.. life, and then if you're having trouble still, try supplementing for a couple months on 1 brand, then a couple months on another brand - if it even takes that long.

I really hope this post doesn't sound condescending... I do want you to succeed, you seem to want this so badly and I just want to make sure you're giving yourself the best chance.

Expert Forum User

Hmm i'm not sure if vit d is to blame.
    I took it everyday in my pregnancy because moms who lack vit d have been linked to newborns with low birth weights

[QUOTE=IsisBaily;1799948]Have you ttc without taking supplements?
    It seems all your posts are about all these pills you're trying on a monthly basis and when they didn't work 1 month your on to the next set - not trying to sound harsh here or offend you, I do feel for you but I think of pills, no matter the type, as something that takes time to kick in, so if you're supplementing for 1 month you're not really giving them a lot of time to get into your system and stay there. Then you're switching to a different pill the next month... do you see what I'm trying to say??

Maybe take a break from supplements for a bit, concentrate less on ttc and more on just.. life, and then if you're having trouble still, try supplementing for a couple months on 1 brand, then a couple months on another brand - if it even takes that long.

I really hope this post doesn't sound condescending... I do want you to succeed, you seem to want this so badly and I just want to make sure you're giving yourself the best

yes i tried for the first 5-6 months with no supplements except folic acid. I am anxious as you can tell, and worry that my job stresses me out too much which is not helping. I have chronic stomach tension from my job...have had a couple of ultrasounds done over the last 2 years just to make sure everything is fine and they did not find anything so i chalk it up to stress making my stomach hurt. My boss is an anal retentive ass that i cant stand to work for but have done so for the last 5 years and then some...he pays well and i cant seem to catch a break with other jobs. So after the first 5 months nothing happened.. i thought i would try evening primrose oil to help with my ewcm...but i tried it for i think 3 months and i did not notice a change... then the whole melatonin thing...which did screw up my cycle..i only took it 2 times and that was enough to do the damage. The melatonin was not a supplement to help me conceive...i just couldnt sleep...which is something else i battle with..getting a decent nights sleep.

i realize i am looking for pills to help me, but i figure if it didnt work naturally then supplements might help... but i dont want to take them if they will make things worse... ie taking the maltelevol liquid vitamin even though it contains vitamin d which messed up my cycle another time...i figured with all the good stuff in it..surely it cant hurt me even if it doesnt help me to conceive.. but then with the vitamin d ( i have read lots of posts online of people taking it and shortly after they cycles went wonky...so i will not risk it... i am not taking anything this month.

I know alot of my posts are about supplements... but i dont have anyone else to ask really... so hence being on this forum. DH thinks just have sex and thats enough... i dont think so... i think that by the end of summer we will still be trying... i have a feeling my chronic stress is doing us no good..and that we will have to go the fertility route and he won't like that at all which is why i am trying to supplements to try and help first.

i understand what your saying..but just wanted you to see it through my eyes..and not like im some pill popper. Thanks for your advice... i had decided before i wrote the post about the vitamin d and the geritold/maltelevol that i will not be taking anything because my cycle seemed to be fine before i started supplementing...its just i feel like i am running out of time.. you know the tick tock tick tock...bilogical clock.. i turn 31 in a few months..and my chances go down even more of a notch.... anyways...sorry for the long post

Expert Forum User

[QUOTE=faith;1800048]
    Quote Originally Posted by IsisBaily View Post
    Have you ttc without taking supplements?

I really hope this post doesn't sound condescending... I do want you to succeed, you seem to want this so badly and I just want to make sure you're giving yourself the best

yes i tried for the first 5-6 months with no supplements except folic acid. I am anxious as you can tell, and worry that my job stresses me out too much which is not helping. I have chronic stomach tension from my job...have had a couple of ultrasounds done over the last 2 years just to make sure everything is fine and they did not find anything so i chalk it up to stress making my stomach hurt. My boss is an anal retentive ass that i cant stand to work for but have done so for the last 5 years and then some...he pays well and i cant seem to catch a break with other jobs. So after the first 5 months nothing happened.. i thought i would try evening primrose oil to help with my ewcm...but i tried it for i think 3 months and i did not notice a change... then the whole melatonin thing...which did screw up my cycle..i only took it 2 times and that was enough to do the damage. The melatonin was not a supplement to help me conceive...i just couldnt sleep...which is something else i battle with..getting a decent nights sleep.

i realize i am looking for pills to help me, but i figure if it didnt work naturally then supplements might help... but i dont want to take them if they will make things worse... ie taking the maltelevol liquid vitamin even though it contains vitamin d which messed up my cycle another time...i figured with all the good stuff in it..surely it cant hurt me even if it doesnt help me to conceive.. but then with the vitamin d ( i have read lots of posts online of people taking it and shortly after they cycles went wonky...so i will not risk it... i am not taking anything this month.

I know alot of my posts are about supplements... but i dont have anyone else to ask really... so hence being on this forum. DH thinks just have sex and thats enough... i dont think so... i think that by the end of summer we will still be trying... i have a feeling my chronic stress is doing us no good..and that we will have to go the fertility route and he won't like that at all which is why i am trying to supplements to try and help first.

i understand what your saying..but just wanted you to see it through my eyes..and not like im some pill popper. Thanks for your advice... i had decided before i wrote the post about the vitamin d and the geritold/maltelevol that i will not be taking anything because my cycle seemed to be fine before i started supplementing...its just i feel like i am running out of time.. you know the tick tock tick tock...bilogical clock.. i turn 31 in a few months..and my chances go down even more of a notch.... anyways...sorry for the long post
    Chronic stress sucks so much. Are there other places in your life you can cut stress, help you relax?
    Wife to Doug and Mother of
    Alex, Nick, Hanna, Mya, Madeline and twin sweethearts, Isabelle and Abigail
    Sewing Mei Tais for Canadian Mamas

Expert Forum User

Oh absolutely Faith, I totally 'get it' and I can see how badly you want this. I feel for you, I really do.

Chronic stress is horrible on a person, it does some crazy things to our bodies too. Sounds like you need a spa day!

What are some things you really enjoy doing that relax you?
    Our family enjoys bowling, mini golf, even taking the dog for a walk can be really relieving. A bubble bath... When you come home at the end of the day, leave all your worries and problems on the door step and come home into family life. Try to breathe, relax, take some deep breaths... I hope you can find a way to destress because I'd be willing to bet that could be playing a big role in this.

Feel free to PM me if you ever want to chit chat or maybe even get together some time.

thanks for listening. i am really going to try this month to relax more, breath, maybe do some yoga..and not take anything at all...do my opk tests, and see what happens.