Expert Forum User

Default Potty Training Boys

We are starting to potty train DS, and I've read of a few techniques that are working well for other moms.
    It's where you have them with no pants/diaper on for three hours twice a day, one block of time in the morning, and another block of time in the evening. Then you take them to the potty every 15 minutes for a few minutes.

Has anyone tried this technique? How did it work? Do you have any other suggestions?

Can any moms give me some advice on how they trained their boys, standing up, when they watch us sit down?

Expert Forum User

Ds was not interested at all when we tried at first. My biggest piece of advice is just to wait until they're ready because its a battle you can't win if they are not agreeable to it! He night trained on his own before he was daytime trained. He went to preschool and saw some friends there using the toilet. His teacher took his pull up off one day and that was that. We had a potty seat and he peed sitting down for a long time. Once that was mastered he started standing. I sent him in with daddy a few times to see how that worked and then he wanted to try.

I also would agree that waiting until they are ready is the way to go. With both my boys, they were close to 3 but it was quick and easy with very few accidents. My oldest only wanted to stand up so he would stand on a stool and brace himself with one arm on the back of a toilet seat until he was tall enough. My second, started sitting then when he was tall enough transisitoned to standing.

Expert Forum User

I agree with the others, wait until he is ready or it's only going to cause frustration for both of you. DS1 was 3, DS2 was 3.5 and DS3 has been potty trained about a month and he'll be 3 next month.

As far as techniques, every child is different! DS1 we had to take to the potty every so often and have him go - it took a long time for him to go on his own! DS2 decided one day he wanted to wear underwear and never looked back. DS3 we threw away the diapers, got lots of rewards and told him to tell us when he had to go - we never told him when to go. After one accident he started to tell us when he had to go and is doing great! Still the odd accident but definitely a lot easier then his brothers.

Good luck!
    Jodie
    Mom to 3 boys (9, 7 and 4) &
    our little girl (born Dec 2013)
    www.brightmindschildcare.ca
    www.jodie.lovablelabels.ca

Expert Forum User

When do you “know“ they're ready?

I tend to think he's getting to the point where he's ready, because he will point or touch the front of his diaper and stand there and look off to space while he's peeing, or he will go 'uh oh' and stop what he's doing and poop.

How old were your boys when they were 'ready'?

Expert Forum User

I can't quite remember now but around 2.5... I tried earlier than that but it ended up with a lot of cleaning. I just told him one day I have had enough of changing diapers and basically bribed him with a new car if he went pee 5 times. He did so in less than half an hour lol and it stuck since then... I could just see he understood what the potty was for and he didn't need diapers anymore. He still sits to pee, I think it would be hard to teach them standing at first..

Expert Forum User

We tried on and off with ds around 2..but he just wasn't interested. All of a sudden he just kind of did it. He stopped resisting sitting on the toilet and within 2 weeks was pretty much trained. He'll be 3 in June and he's been trained for about a month or so. It was remarkably easy when he was ready.

Expert Forum User

Ds was 3 when he was day and night trained - shortly after his bday. Dd on the other hand initiated things on her own and is yet to be trustworthy. She pees her pants if she's angry at us or if shes playing house and shes the baby (im sure we will laugh about this someday???) and she is nowhere near night trained. She's 3.5 and this adventure started 15 months ago when she decided at Disney world that she would pee on the toilets like a princess.
    Last edited by ZooMama; 04-15-2013 at 07:02 PM.

Expert Forum User

Yep, if they aren't ready it will be HELL. We tried when my ds was 2 but he just didn't care for it. Just before he was 3 we tried again and he was trained within a weekend.