Default Filing Taxes With Medical Claims

Hi,
    I am wondering about what I can claim as a deduction regarding medical. I have a plan through work. Can I claim premiums? Can I claim what I've been reimbursed for, or only what expenses I paid for above and beyond my coverage? For example, I only paid a small deductible for dental and then I was reimbursed the rest. What can I actually claim for dental? Also, I was reimbursed for my eye exam but had to pay for some new glasses myself. Can I claim both of those expenses? As you can see I have lots of questions.
    Thanks!

Expert Forum User

Hi there,

I've replied to the second post but thought I would reiterate that you can only claim the costs that you were NOT reimbursed for. You don't get credit for something a third party paid for.

In terms of allowable expenses - almost everything you paid for that wasn't reimbursed that is eye related (glasses/exams) and dental plus chiropractics, orthotics, massage, physio, and certain counselling services where performed by a registered therapist. You can also claim most assisitive devices where required for mobility or the requirements of daily living (hearing/speach etc) along with certain renovations to enhance access. You can also claim tutoring expenses for a child if required by doctor (ie ADD or ADHD or diagnosed learning requirements).

You can claim prescriptions if prescribed by a doctor but you CAN'T claim anything you could also buy over the counter (even if prescribed by a doctor - ie supplements/herbs/vitamins etc).

Cosmetic treatments are no longer deductible unless there is a medical reason for them. Note that Lasik surgery is specifically allowed.

The list is huge and honestly it's constantly changing - if you go with the premise that it's not so much the treatment or the thing ... but rather who is performing it (a medical practitioner) then you'll have a good start to the claims.

thanks
    Last edited by strongmommy; 04-14-2013 at 04:50 AM.

Thanks for your reply -- this helps a lot. Oh, and sorry for asking almost the same question twice. I couldn't see my question posted after I clicked return and I was really in need of an answer.
    Cheers!

Expert Forum User

No problem ....