Default ex lost job...child support

Just found out my ex lost his job and he has obviously reduced his child support payments....can he just do this without providing proof of job loss or showing me something that gives proof of his new financial income? I would assume he is getting a severance package.
    TIA

Social Media Guru

Not if there is an agreement or a clause in the agreement saying so, he would need to make a motion to the court to get it reduced.

Expert Forum User

He has to still continue to pay the amount ordered in your court order until the court order is changed. Paying you less than the ordered amount is putting him in arrears. He needs to file a motion to change along with a financial statement. If everything is in order and you believe his financial statement you file a consent motion to change and a new amount of support is ordered...easy as that. When he gets a new job one of you files the motion to change to raise it back up and the other consent motion to change.

Expert Forum User

No he cannot just change the amount. My ex tried this, but now it comes directly off his unemployment every other week. And it is still at full amount, my court order states a change can only happen every October. And it is based on last years income, not what he makes/doesn't make now, so your ex would still have to pay based on his last years income.

If he lost his job and is on EI, his EI can be garnished 50% and if that 50% is lower than his child support payments that could be why the amount changed. (I'm assuming it is through FRO).
    He will still have arrears though. If it is through FRO try calling them and asking them what the situation is.

no it isn't through FRO....he just handed me a note on Sunday with his cheques for april's child support stating he lost his job as of the end of March and the cheques were for over $300 less than normal...

Expert Forum User

I would be taking his butt to court. Give him a registered letter (you keep a copy also) stating the $300 owing is due by ____, and if not received then you have no choice but to take him to court for the arrears plus interest.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Annmomofboys View Post
    no it isn't through FRO....he just handed me a note on Sunday with his cheques for april's child support stating he lost his job as of the end of March and the cheques were for over $300 less than normal...
    Nice try but if it was so easy to lower CS payment parents would be handing out notes left and right. I would get things going through FRO. They will enforce the court order. If he wants to change the support amount he has to go through the proper channels just like everyone else.

do you have an actual agreement or order for support? tell him he can either pay the right amount, or you'll be going through FRO and they'll just deduct it from his EI. if you have an order, you can contact FRO and re-file with them. if you have a written agreement, you can file it with the court and they'll send it to FRO. like everybody else has said, either you would have to agree, or he would have to bring a motion to reduce the amount of support.
    where does the time go?
    mom to DS (11) and DD (7)

Thanks ladies, we do have an agreement and I let him know he should not have reduced his child support going to see what he comes back with before I go further ;(

Default re

I think he must show that proof to court for reducing the amount of child support until he get a new job and able to pay you the money at full.And all these depends on the court decision that either reduce the child support or find any other way to deal with that.

Unfortunately my requests for his income tax information and proof of income, unemployment have gone unanswered. I guess my next step is to take it via the courts which I was hoping to avoid as I cannot afford it. Catch 22.