Default Need sewing machine recommendations

I am planning on purchasing my first sewing machine and I need recommendations from experienced sewers please!

I was leaning towards a Kenmore brand, only because of feedback from a relative - but no specific model was recommended.

Here is a link to the Sears machines that are currently offered:

Sewing machines | Sears Canada

Would you recommend one of these, or a different model/make entirely. I am not stuck on needing to buy from Sears, although I do have a gift certificate and a coupon to use from Sears!

I am relatively new to sewing, but would like to develop it as a hobby/talent. I imagine I would like the machine to be versatile enough that it be useful to me as my skills would grow.

Thanks in advance!

Expert Forum User

What is your budget? I borrowed my moms Janome... which I shouldn't have done as it's well outside of any sewing machine budget I would have.

Husqvarna makes wicked sewing machines. Pricey, but well worth it.

I picked up a second hand Kenmore and love it! It has to be at least 20 years old and works great! The bottom of it has a 25 year warranty on it.

My very first machine was a Kenmore and lasted me a longtime. The only reason i got rid of it was because I wanted to upgrade to a computerized embroidery machine. Kenmore is actually made by Janome. Stay away from Singer. They used to be the best but now they are cheaply made

I used to work in a sewing machine store so feel free to ask me any questions you may have

I also teach sewing if you need to learn
    Last edited by Eleanor Rigby; 03-23-2013 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Damn Autocorrect!

Expert Forum User

I second that singer sucks, I finally have a one that knock on wood has lasted about two years, but I went through three of four before finally landing on this one. They don't make them like they used to. When this one dies I will be investing in a better one. We just didn't want to put money into something that I didn't use very often.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor Rigby View Post
    My very first machine was a Kenmore and lasted me a longtime. The only reason i got rid of it was because I wanted to upgrade to a computerized embroidery machine. Kenmore is actually made by Janome. Stay away from Singer. They used to be the best but now they are cheaply made

I used to work in a sewing machine store so feel free to ask me any questions you may have

I also teach sewing if you need to learn
    Really! Hmmmmm I'd love to learn how to sew someday lol
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Quote Originally Posted by one ordinary girl View Post
    Really! Hmmmmm I'd love to learn how to sew someday lol
    I'd be happy to teach you!

Budget-wise I don't think I want/need to spend over $300, but if there is a valid reason to, I could. I was figuring about $250 as a ball park, but I am flexible.

I certainly DO NOT want a machine to last only for a couple of years - I would expect a machine to last for at least 5-10 years - all of my relatives who have machines have had them for several years.

I don't do quilting, or embroidery, etc, but then again, I don't really sew yet either! That could well change in a couple of years as I grow more competent and comfortable. I have made simple things (kind of a gathered tu-tu skirt) and simple repairs, but nothing elaborate, and not a whole outfit, or anything like that. I'd like to start with dresses for DD.

So, should I stick with a Kenmore? Which model? How many stiches? Computerized or not? A couple of them are on sale ($20 - $50 off), but I don't know if that is a good price or not, or how frequently machines are on sale. I want to buy a new one, not a used one.

Thanks!

Expert Forum User

I have a 17 year old Kenmore (which my kids will now use), but it barely got any use. I now have a Bernina (because I work in a Bernina shop), and am taking classes. But it totally beats my Kenmores tush.

Expert Forum User

we just bought an older version that came with a desk and everything, it's called a dressmaster and so far we love it. Can't go wrong with the “old“ in my opinion. It's even mint green LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor Rigby View Post
    Kenmore use to be made by Janome but I am not sure if they still are. Husqvarna Viking and Pfaff is now owned by the same company that makes the low quality Singer sewing machines. I believe these machines are now made with more plastic parts than in the past. It is the plastic components that wear out in a couple years.

VSM Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by CBA3C View Post
    Budget-wise I don't think I want/need to spend over $300, but if there is a valid reason to, I could. I was figuring about $250 as a ball park, but I am flexible.

I certainly DO NOT want a machine to last only for a couple of years - I would expect a machine to last for at least 5-10 years - all of my relatives who have machines have had them for several years.

I don't do quilting, or embroidery, etc, but then again, I don't really sew yet either! That could well change in a couple of years as I grow more competent and comfortable. I have made simple things (kind of a gathered tu-tu skirt) and simple repairs, but nothing elaborate, and not a whole outfit, or anything like that. I'd like to start with dresses for DD.

So, should I stick with a Kenmore? Which model? How many stiches? Computerized or not? A couple of them are on sale ($20 - $50 off), but I don't know if that is a good price or not, or how frequently machines are on sale. I want to buy a new one, not a used one.

Thanks!
    I don't know which brand would be the best. My machines were made by Janome (Kenmore and Elna) and the same with my mom's (Janome and Elna). They have been good machines for us and we use them heavily. I won't be parting with my mechanical Kenmore that I bought new 19 years ago. I can clean and oil it myself. My computerized sewing machine costs $125 to be serviced for just general maintenance. It is suppose to go in every year to be oiled and cleaned by a trained technician.

The stitches you would want would depend on the type of sewing you want to do. For sewing little girl dresses and many other items, a basic mechanical sewing machine would be sufficient. They can come with a few decorative stitches to add detail to a collar or hem etc. This is the type of sewing I did with my Kenmore and it has 22 stitches, 6 being decorative stitches. After a few years you may want some other functions but until you know what they are, a good mechanical machine would be a good place to start. I only bought my computerized machine 3 years ago specifically for its quilting features.

Thank you Just Ducky!