Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by momx2 View Post
    This is so true!

I found when my children were young that I didn't feel the need to be in a group. I did hook up with some homeschoolers before that for park days and things, so met a few families. When my daughter for older she expressed a desire to see people on a more regular basis.

I am a homeschooler, but I would fall into the unschooler category as well
    My group has been a life saver. Its really big and very active, both IRL and online. We have classes and trips organized on almost a daily basis. I would be lost and my children miserable without the homeschooling group and the friend opportunities that have arisen because of it. For DD2, who is 5... she really only has friends because of the group.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by WateryTart View Post
    My group has been a life saver. Its really big and very active, both IRL and online. We have classes and trips organized on almost a daily basis. I would be lost and my children miserable without the homeschooling group and the friend opportunities that have arisen because of it. For DD2, who is 5... she really only has friends because of the group.
    We joined when my daughter was 6 I think, maybe 5.5. I found lots of thins to do in the community (Libraries, OEYC) when my children were young so we were quite busy, but at school age there is far less things offered.

I decided to homeschool when my daughter was four, then I made a point of seeking out the homeschool community in London. The online yahoo group helped and we had playdates at people houses and met them at parks, Children's Museum. I also attending Chapter Chats and unschooling chats for adults. We saw people sporatically though, and wanted to see people on a more regular basis.

So the homeschool group I joined I already knew many of the families and our friends were a part of this group, it was helpful because there would be space in the winter for us all to get together. There are many things going on a weekly basis or a couple times a week this year, much more than previous years! But we don't sign up for everything, it would be too busy for us. My daughter takes gymnastics during the afternoon one day a week, outside of our group.

I wasn't trying to talk anyone out of a homeschool group, but I thinks it's important to find what suits your family. There is a big community of homeschoolers in and around London. There are even a couple of evening chats happening this week!

I mention classes at Museum London already.

There is also a Family Gym Time at the Carling Rec Center on Fridays at 10am, it's something a homeschooler initiated. Usually people post on the homeschooler yahoo group if they are going. The cost is $6.75 (I belive) per family.

I think Kids Mashup also has classes during the day for homeschoolers, it was posted on the yahoo group awhile ago.

It's harder in the winter to just get together, but in the summer it's easy to meet at the park, just post on the yahoo group and I'm sure there will be lots of people to play with.
    Last edited by momx2; 03-19-2013 at 08:02 AM.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.~Michael Pollan, author of In Defense of Food
    If we want to move towards a low-polluting, sustainable society, we need to get consumers to think about their purchases-David Suzuki
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world"- Mahatma Gandhi

Expert Forum User

We don't homeschool and I really don't think I'd be the best mom to choose to homeschool but I just heard this morning that Kathleen Wynne has made the comment that she wants to end homeschooling in the province. Anyone here know if that's true or untrue??? Not sure how she could accomplish that........
    Last edited by doda94; 03-19-2013 at 10:41 AM. Reason: ETA spelling.....

Quote Originally Posted by doda94 View Post
    We don't homeschool and I really don't think I'd be the best mom to choose to homeschool but I just heard this morning that Kathleen Wynne has made the comment that she wants to end homeschooling in the province. Anyone here know if that's true or untrue??? Not sure how she could accomplish that........
    Huh?! I can't find anything about it.
    Calvin: People think it must be fun to be a super genius but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world.

Hobbes: Isn't your zipper suppose to be in the front of your pants?

Expert Forum User

My family & I (I have a 6 yr. old son, 2 yr. old daughter & 12 yr old step son) will be visting McLachlan Family Maple Syrup & Pancake House | . on Saturday at 10AM. If others would like to join us I would be happy to meet some other homeschoolers. Hope to see you there!

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Wethree View Post
    Huh?! I can't find anything about it.
    I can't either except for I did find a quote from back when she was Education Minister and introduced the new sex ed curriculum that she basically said that if parents didn't like what was being taught in schools that their answer was to homeschool..........

Just thought I'd pass it by you folks that are homeschoolers that would obviously be a lot more in touch with those issues than myself.....

Expert Forum User

BUMP....Hope to see some others HS`ers Saturday

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12