Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default How many homeschoolers are there??

I am wondering how many other homeschoolers there are on LM's? I noticed this section seems to be pretty dead.
    We have just starting our homeschooling journey. I pulled my 6 or old son from school and I also have a (almost) 2yr old daughter who will be starting "tot school" soon

Expert Forum User

I homeschool, but I don't live in london anymore so I don't know that I would contribute anything of value other than perhaps curriculum recommendations if requested.

We homeschool our children. We don't live in London either. Feel free to ask questions.

Expert Forum User

I homeschool and I am in Toronto... ROFL all of us homeschoolers are from out of town... oh... I plan to move back to the area (St Thomas) in May if that counts.
    ~ Annie ~
    Mom to 4 (B24, G23, G19, G9)

My Blog: It's just my life...
    Follow me on Twitter: @anniecannie

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Im currently homeschooling.

I dont follow any “real“ curriculum just books from chapters in the grade lv D works at. In my case “book smarts“ is not the big goal long term but street smarts and living skills are.

Expert Forum User

That sucks there is so far no one nearby! I have my curriculum all figured out & so far all is well but I am sure I will have questions eventually. Right now we are using All about spelling, Time for learning and an online reading curriculum that I bought (from a homeschooling blogger).
    I also have lots of science experiments planned out

I am looking into starting up a co-op as there seems to be only one in London & it is full & only takes 40 families per year.

I am, and I'm in London, too!

We are a part of KLC - we squeaked in under the closing. Apparently, they went from 25-ish families last year to 41 this year, so they closed off new members until June so they could cope with the huge change without blowing apart from the influx of new people. I'd guess they'll open up for new members again next year.

We've got a hodgepodge of curricula here - it doesn't hurt that I could live for the stuff. Go figure, right? I kind of hope to see more homeschoolers from the southeast end of town around - I can only remember three families, mine included!

Expert Forum User

There is this: Homeschool Curriculum and Affordable Homeschooling Programs - Homeschool Buyers Co-op

I got bravewriter and math mammoth from that site for 50% off regular price. They are out of the states. Might be of interest. I haven't used Math Mammoth yet, but at the price of 47$ for the entire elementary curriculum, even if I don't end up liking it for our family its barely a drop in the bucket compared to 300$ per year for k12 math, which is what we've been using.
    Last edited by WateryTart; 03-18-2013 at 03:08 AM.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by WateryTart View Post
    There is this: Homeschool Curriculum and Affordable Homeschooling Programs - Homeschool Buyers Co-op

I got bravewriter and math mammoth from that site for 50% off regular price. They are out of the states. Might be of interest. I haven't used Math Mammoth yet, but at the price of 47$ for the entire elementary curriculum, even if I don't end up liking it for our family its barely a drop in the bucket compared to 300$ per year for k12 math, which is what we've been using.
    Thanks for that link! I was looking into Math Mammoth but hadn't decided yet...that's a great price!

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by ForgetMeNot View Post
    I am, and I'm in London, too!

We are a part of KLC - we squeaked in under the closing. Apparently, they went from 25-ish families last year to 41 this year, so they closed off new members until June so they could cope with the huge change without blowing apart from the influx of new people. I'd guess they'll open up for new members again next year.

We've got a hodgepodge of curricula here - it doesn't hurt that I could live for the stuff. Go figure, right? I kind of hope to see more homeschoolers from the southeast end of town around - I can only remember three families, mine included!
    How do you like KLC? I would love to hear some feedback because I do not know anyone that is a member.

We use RightStart for our math.

Expert Forum User

We homeschool! I have an 8 year old daughter, 6 year old son and 2 year old daughter.

We are also part of KLC. Ya the influx this year was surprising, it's a fairly new group and people felt we should see how that many families would work out. It's a co-op so the parents run all the activities or organize all the field trips, everyone contributes something or somewhere throughout the year.

There is not much homeschool chatting here, but if you look through the older threads you will find links and curriculum advice. I pm'ed you a yahoo group for london and area homeschoolers.

There are homeschool classes at the Museum London
    Children and Youth Programs at Museum London

There is a Not Going Back To School picnic in the fall, on "the first day of school". There is usually a good turn out.
    Last edited by momx2; 03-18-2013 at 09:02 AM.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.~Michael Pollan, author of In Defense of Food
    If we want to move towards a low-polluting, sustainable society, we need to get consumers to think about their purchases-David Suzuki
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world"- Mahatma Gandhi

Unschooler here (also part of KLC)

Just want to say that while co-ops are great, they aren't for everyone. Our style of co-op isn't for everyone. Like everything homeschooling related, understand what you're really looking for (what your child actually needs not what you think would be good--there is a huge difference)
    Calvin: People think it must be fun to be a super genius but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world.

Hobbes: Isn't your zipper suppose to be in the front of your pants?

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Wethree View Post
    Unschooler here (also part of KLC)

Just want to say that while co-ops are great, they aren't for everyone. Our style of co-op isn't for everyone. Like everything homeschooling related, understand what you're really looking for (what your child actually needs not what you think would be good--there is a huge difference)
    This is so true!

I found when my children were young that I didn't feel the need to be in a group. I did hook up with some homeschoolers before that for park days and things, so met a few families. When my daughter for older she expressed a desire to see people on a more regular basis.

I am a homeschooler, but I would fall into the unschooler category as well
    Last edited by momx2; 03-18-2013 at 08:27 PM.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.~Michael Pollan, author of In Defense of Food
    If we want to move towards a low-polluting, sustainable society, we need to get consumers to think about their purchases-David Suzuki
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world"- Mahatma Gandhi

we home school, sort of anyway, our kids aren't really 'school age'. so we haven't really immersed ourselves fully yet.
    Why yes I'm a Doula! (in training) come check out my Facebook for more info!. Or PM me!
    https://www.facebook.com/greatexpectationsdoula

here is my doulamatch profile: http://doulamatch.net/profile/6878/kate-williamson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast