Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default I need some advice on what to do. bathroom or no bathroom?

Dh and I are disagreeing on if we should add a 1/2 bath to our basement and I thought I'd ask for some more opinions.

Here's some back story. We need to finish our house so we can sell next spring once we here some news about dh's job. We own a small bungalow and the original owners put in a 1/2 bath downstairs but they ran the pipes on top of the foundation. Dh and I have gutted the entire basement down to the foundation...no framing, no insulation, just a bit of electrical. The original plan was to put in a half bath which meant ripping out a portion of the cement floor and putting the pipes underneath. Recently however we found out we are likely going to have to replace our fuse panel(I'm reading about a 2k job and unexpected!)
    Sooo, I want to cut out the half bath entirely to recoop some costs, keeping in mind we are moving soon. He wants to go ahead and put it in. If we don't do it, we will have a large rec room, an office/4th bedroom and a laundry room. It's a small house and a standard 70s bungalow. We've replaced the windows, doors, siding, furnace, hot water heater, upstairs bath, updated kitchen, interior doors, pool stuff, landscaping and patio. At this point I'm feeling reno burn out and I want to move on. The house is pretty much done other than the half bath...what would you do? Am I right or is he?
    Cole is 8 years old! January, 2005
    Nate is 5 years old! January, 2008
    Judah is 2 years old! October, 2010
    Avery Grace born & passed Feb 4, 2007.

"Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?"
    Anita Diamant (The Red Tent)

Expert Forum User

If the remainder of the basement is finished, I'd say you need the bathroom down there too. What about putting it in with the laundry room? That's how ours is (not finished yet, but the laundry is down there and it's in the same room where the rough-in is for the full bathroom). But maybe I'm not following right - was there working plumbing for the toilet and everything where you took it out??

Put a bathroom in; I think it is a selling feature for a family wanting to buy a new house.

Quote Originally Posted by ZooMama View Post
    If the remainder of the basement is finished, I'd say you need the bathroom down there too. What about putting it in with the laundry room? That's how ours is (not finished yet, but the laundry is down there and it's in the same room where the rough-in is for the full bathroom). But maybe I'm not following right - was there working plumbing for the toilet and everything where you took it out??
    There was working plumbing, but the pipe was laid across the cement floor of the foundation instead of under it with the sub floor built over top. It looked ridiculous. As you entered the bathroom door you had to step up to the sink and then take another step up to the toilet. It was so they could get the right downward angle towards the main stack of the house. It was a lazy shoddy job IMO. So it means if we want to put in a bathroom, we need to jack hammer out the foundation floor to lay the pipe. It's going to be labour intensive and $$. My dh helped my father do it in his house but we will likely have to hire someone due to time. ...essentially there is no rough in for the drain.

"Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?"

Expert Forum User

If your doing work in teh basement anyway - and you won't be wrecking anything like drywall - you should definatly put it back in.
    A half bath in a basement adds around $10,000 to the value. You won't spend that much if your DH can break out the floor himself.

Expert Forum User

If you happen to have 2 bathrooms on the main floor, I would consider not putting it in. If you don't, I would put the 1/2 bath in, for resale and just in case you are there longer than you think you will be.

Expert Forum User

It would depend on how many other bathrooms you have and what the selling prices of other similar houses in your area have been recently.

Expert Forum User

bathroom in the basement will add value to the home, I say do it

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Pomegranate View Post
    If you happen to have 2 bathrooms on the main floor, I would consider not putting it in. If you don't, I would put the 1/2 bath in, for resale and just in case you are there longer than you think you will be.
    This. Our last home had 2.5 baths already (2 storey). When we redid the basement I didn't bother with the added expense of a 4th bathroom, I don't think it would have added enough value in a 3 bedroom home.

Administrator Site Admin

If there is a bedroom/office down there then I'd say yes for sure. It's way more difficult to add later after the rest of the basement is finished.

Another thing you could consider is the option of a “rough in“ for the bathroom. Many new homes come with that and the pipes are all set up where they need to be so that the new owner could put in the bathroom easily after they purchase the home.
    Leslie

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
    If there is a bedroom/office down there then I'd say yes for sure. It's way more difficult to add later after the rest of the basement is finished.

Another thing you could consider is the option of a “rough in“ for the bathroom. Many new homes come with that and the pipes are all set up where they need to be so that the new owner could put in the bathroom easily after they purchase the home.
    Well that's an idea...We could frame it, do the pipe, close a door and leave it for the next person because I am DONE.

But 10k of value eh? hmm, that is tempting. But I already think we may be coming close to topping out price wise for the neighborhood for a house this size though.

Oh, just one other bathroom, but since the house is small it's nothing to run upstairs, at least for us. Actually even when the old basement bathroom was down there we never used it. It's was so dark and dingy I hated it... and was afraid there might be spiders. lol
    Last edited by Carol; 03-11-2013 at 01:56 PM.

Expert Forum User

Definitely do it!

DH said no to two houses I was seriously considering because there was no bathroom in the basement. He would not buy a house with a finished basement that did not have a bathroom in the basement.

If the rest of the basement is finished, and especially if there is a bedroom down there, I'd put the bathroom in.

Expert Forum User

If there's only one other bathroom in the house I'd add it. Personally I'd never own a house with out a “backup“ toilet (especially if they ever decide to redo the main bathroom).

I hate when dh is right. LOL Thanks all!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast