Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default just need to vent..

I hate this city so much, can't stand to live here anymore, so unhappy here!!! Sorry for this, it has been just too much past few days...
    A home without a cat is just a house...

aveymom

I am sorry you are having such a hard time, I hope with the good weather you can get out and enjoy all the city has to offer. Sometimes you just dont feel at home somewhere, no matter what you try.
    I lived in St Catharines for many yrs (almost 10) and it never felt like home to me, this will always be home, so I know how you are feeling and hope it gets better for you soon.

StacyLyn

Expert Forum User

I am sorry you are having such a hard time.... What seems to be the issue? Just London in General??

Quote Originally Posted by McMommaBearof2 View Post
    I am sorry you are having such a hard time.... What seems to be the issue? Just London in General??
    I know it's hard to understand this, but I'll try to explain all my feelings... I grew up in a small village in the heart of mountains back in Europe. Have been living in Canada for 3 years, just followed the love of my life and move here. Since that my life completely changed. I have Master Degree in social work and Doctor of Philosophy Degree back from Universities in Europe, valid driver's license.....but that means nothing here, I'm just nobody, with no education, living in a city where nobody cares...I'm just tired to start everything from scratch..We have found a beautiful house, out of London, in the middle of the nature, started to work on our mortgage and all that stuff....suddenly our agent who told us not to hurry to place an offer told us that the house is sold, they just accepted 1st conditional offer that came yesterday...Maybe that is the final thing I'm feeling so blue and sad. Sorry again for this!

Expert Forum User

You have every right to feel blue. Do you just have to take upgrades to be licenced here? can you take an equiviance course? I sorry about the house. With the market these days they seem to go faster than then go up.
    With your drivers licence are they making you do the full G1-2 course? or do you just have to do the road test?

Banned

sorry you are having such a hard time right now

I hope pper was right and maybe you could just upgrade your education and licence

girlsmum

Aww, I can't imagine how denegrating that must feel, I can only relate on the part of following the love of my life here to London and after 3 years I'm not much farther ahead of adjusting to London from hanging out in villages around Guelph. You have some high levels of education, and I have heard that Canada is really anal about not accepting degrees from other countries. You are most certainly NOT a nobody, and you have education *en masse*, and I hope you'll forgive Canada for being unkind on this point.

I also hope you can upgrade your education/license and this time of year it is true that houses are selling before the signs go up onto front lawns, I went through this last year, what I DID find on mls had been sitting for months and one year later now, some are still there. A good agent will put you on a hot list of what's *going* up on the market.

Just to say though?............sounds like you came from a beautiful place in Europe. Best wishes to you.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I am so very sorry for everything you are going through right now. I am hoping for a better tomorrow for you and your entire family. Hugs to you!

My husband and I are from England and we just exchanged our valid UK licences for a full canadian driving licence and I think they do that for a number of countries. I will try and find the link but it maybe worth calling them to see if they will do this. As fas as the job / education go my DH is / was in the same predicament where without "canadian experience" no one would offer him a job but how do you get that experience if no one will give you a job? In the end he went through an agency and then got taken on full time (he still cannot get the equivalent job but at least it is a job). I work in health care and I had to take an exam to work here but they did accept my degree .. is it possible you could an equivalency exam? Hope things pick up for you soon.

Don't know where in europe your from but I found this on the ministery of transport website.

Drivers from, Switzerland, Germany, France, Great Britain, Austria and Belgium.
    2 or More Years of Driving Experience Within the Last Three Years
    If you are a licensed driver with two or more years of driving experience from one of these jurisdictions you may get full class licence privileges without taking a knowledge or road test. However, you must pass a vision test and show acceptable proof of your previous licence status and driving experience.

Sorry to hear you're having a difficult time adjusting.

My husband is from South Korea and he had a rough time for the first 3 years and then things started getting better. He has been in Canada for almost 8 years now.

I know that his license was switched over, no problems, because of an agreement between South Korea and Ontario. Have you asked about that at the Ministry of Transportation.

My husband was studying Law in Korea and when he came here, nothing got tranferred, he felt much like how you are explaining. He started out doing odd jobs, custodian jobs and security when he first got here and 2 years ago he got into the Police Service.

It is a long road when you move to another country. I have tried to help him see the 'good' in Canada but it's sooo hard not to compare to the place you lived before.

I hope that you can explore some more now that the nice weather is here and vent away here all you need to!

((hugs))

-- Delia --

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I'm so sorry your feeling this way, I can't even imagine what it must be like to leave so much behind and start fresh in a new country. I don't know even what to suggest that might help. Have you been able to meet people?
    Cole is 8 years old! January, 2005
    Nate is 5 years old! January, 2008
    Judah is 2 years old! October, 2010
    Avery Grace born & passed Feb 4, 2007.

"Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?"
    Anita Diamant (The Red Tent)

Thanks moms for all your helping words! Well, I'm from Slovakia and unfortunately, my country doesn't belong to those "important countries" that you have much easier life after moving to Canada..Yes, I need to go through all those steps, to pass written test, G1, G2, G....And just to have a chance to find a job in the field of social work, I need to get license (that means money, time, learning....) without it, I can only work as a Petsmart employee, that I was before our little one was born..Believe me, I'm tired of all this. I'm so lonely here. Yes people seem to be friendly, but when they keep asking me the same question every time we meet each other, I seriously doubt they really care..They are smiling, but whispering and gossiping right after I close the door. If my English is not perfect and have sometimes difficulties to understand or need to ask to repeat what was told, it doesn't mean I'm stupid. There has been so many nights I cried out....

Expert Forum User

Sounds like you've met the wrong people then Lucka. There are lots of moms here that are good for a listening ear & we don't care that your English is not perfect. The fact that you've made the effort to learn it is wonderful.
    I couldn't imagine going through such an aweful transition. Don't give up though! Work on getting your life how YOU want it...I know it will be alot of work, but Canada is full of opportunities.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pumpkinery-Creations/220912411314225

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! mamabear's Avatar

I'm sorry that sounds really rough. Do you have anyone else from Slovakia that can sympathize with you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast