Default Halp! Don't know where to start for a father who needs to pay support.

A friend had a baby a few months ago. He has not been contacted by the mother for support. How would he go about starting the process? Can this be done without court and lawyers (please say yes but I feel like the answer is no)? Is FRO only used once a support order is in place?

They are not on speaking terms and he needs a record of payment. She is on welfare, so I'm super confused as to why they haven't contacted him.

Expert Forum User

Did she list him as the father? She could have lied to OW saying she doesn't know who the father is.

He can pay support by cheque (for his records). Just look up the ontario guideline support amount, he can go from their. He can also do a money order to her (for his records)

There was a paternity test done! Through OW. The results were sent in December, I think.

Great ideas, merci! He was given the advice to not give her any money unless it's through FRO. Bank records should be sufficient if it ever goes to court?
    Last edited by OctopusesNotOctopi; 02-22-2013 at 03:42 PM.

cashed cheque would be sufficient. or make her sign a receipt. OW will probably contact him sooner than later, but he might as well start the ball rolling first - contact them about it, or just start paying her. Yes, private agreements can be made, nothing HAS to go through court. agreements can still be filed with the court and go through FRO.
    where does the time go?
    mom to DS (11) and DD (7)

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by OctopusesNotOctopi View Post
    There was a paternity test done! Through OW. The results were sent in December, I think.

Great ideas, merci! He was given the advice to not give her any money unless it's through FRO. Bank records should be sufficient if it ever goes to court?
    He can ask his bank for the cancelled cheques, that will please the courts

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I'm sure there's a feature online where I can click something and for 1.50 I can see a copy of the cheque that was cashed from my account.

Cashed cheques payable to her are more than enough proof he paid.
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Yes he can use cheques make sure he writes child support in the note spot or it wont count.

Why cant he just go to court and set it up?
    Start putting support money in a new account, go to court get it all set up and give fro that info for them to take it. That way he can get access lined up yoo

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Yes he can use cheques make sure he writes child support in the note spot or it wont count.

Why cant he just go to court and set it up?
    Start putting support money in a new account, go to court get it all set up and give fro that info for them to take it. That way he can get access lined up yoo