Expert Forum User

Default Transportation problems non visitation days

Not sure this belongs here or not but I could really use some thoughts on this problem I am having.

My oldest DD babysits for her dad every Sat, which is actually my day but it was asked of DD before me so then I looked like the bad guy by saying no and not allowing her to earn money so what ever i said we would try it. Here is the problem, DD seems to expect me to drive her there and pick her up, well I work most Saturdays and when I am not at work we have things to do and I don't really think it is fair to expect me to drop everything to drive her to go to her dad's to babysit. If it were anyone else they generally pick her up and bring her home.

Her dad doesn't drive and I JUST got my license in Sept so I haven't been driving all that long either. It is causing a lot of problems between me and DD because she just doesn't seem to get it costs me money for her to go help her dad when she isn't even managing to do her chores here. If I don't give her a ride she doesn't make it home until late Sunday afternoon and then she still doesn't get half her chores done and it always ends up in a big fight. I am always the bad guy.

My question is Should the expectation be that I provide her transportation? Yes sometimes I don't have a problem but expecting me to do it every weekend?

I am ready to call it quits with her babysitting due to her attitude and the fact that she is leaving before her chores are done and then they don't get done, I don't ask a lot but she does need to help out. I can't really ground her because she goes to her dad's to babysit and then he has a no show and can't work and I am again the bad guy.

Any thoughts on this situation?

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

No, her dad can send a cab or bus it anything but you dont drive

You definitely shouldn't drive her. Tell her that she has to take the bus or her dad can pay for a cab. That's not your duty.

Expert Forum User

You shouldn't drive her both ways. I would ask Dad to arrange transportation at least one way so that you only have to pick her up. I only say pick her up so that you can be guaranteed that she actually comes home at a reasonable time to get her chores done since that seems to be a big concern.

Expert Forum User

it is a bit of a privledge as a teen to earn your own money - if she has home responsibilities that she is neglecting then I would give her a warning that if they are not completed you will not allow her to work (at any job including babysitting). I would then tell her father that if he expects you to drive her then he needs to compensate you or he needs to find another way to get her to his home.

Expert Forum User

The fact that it's for her dad shouldn't come into play. When you discuss it with her, take that component out and discuss the issues related just like it was a babysitting job for anyone else because that's what it is. It's a job for her to earn money.