Default Child going to a different school than home school??

We are hoping to send our DS to the other school that is in our area for SK this fall instead of his home school.

He isn't at either school for JK right now as he was allowed to attend the school that his YMCA daycare is in for Kindergarten. But he won't be going to the daycare next year so we are looking for other options.

We do not want to send him to his home school as his estranged grandfather works there and there has been some safety issues with his father taking off with him in the past.

Do you think if I call Thames Valley and explain the situation if they would allow this? Or should I call the school directly? Who should I call??

I believe both schools are full day kindergarten next year so I don't think that wil be an issue for them to say no.

Expert Forum User

I would call the school board and explain it to them. I would start right off by saying that your son's grandfather works at the school and there are safety issues with his son and you refuse to send him there and need another option. Rather than start with saying you want to attend a different school - because they refuse to do this. Your situation is quite different so I can't see them saying no, but they likely won't provide bussing.
    I would think the receptionist can direct you to the proper person.

Both schools are within walking distance and almost both the same distance from our house.

Houses 4 doors down and on the other side of our street go to the other school that is not our home school.

Here's the school boards policy on students going to schools that they are not in the boundaries for http://www.tvdsb.ca/files/filesystem/2011_AttendanceAreasForStudents_PolPro.pdf . Basically you have to request the exemption in writing by March 1. You make the request to the principal of the school your child would be attending so it might be a good idea to call that school and talk to the principal about the situation.