Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default Moms who work full time

I just found out today that I got a full time job that I had applied for-eek-I start Monday. While I am excited to have the opportunity, I don't know how I am going to get my act together on a daily basis. I will be home by 5pm, but my kids are still young so they are usually both in bed around 7:15-7:30 pm.

How do you fit everything in that needs to be done? I am so worried about the kids too- they are used to having me home most of the time and I know that it will be a big transition for them. Does it get easier with time? I am having huge mommy guilt right now, even though this looks like it will be a great opportunity and company to work for. I am so conflicted emotionally, plus, the house it not clean, I have so much to do now this weekend, ack!

I have a slow cooker so I am thinking that may help as well- I just need to learn how to cook more than two things with it.

Any advice/tips would be great. Please tell me that it will be okay and that my kids will survive.
    Formerly known as London skye

Check out my Kijiji link! Lots of great stuff priced to sell!

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-se...AdIdZ425988249

Expert Forum User

I think it's a team effort. Everyone has to work together. Keeping things clean as you go is a time saver. Frozen chicken nuggets heated up some nights or picking up a rotisserie chicken and a salad sometimes is often the easiest way to get through the week. I noticed working outside the home I had to relax my standards of what I considered clean a little bit.

Expert Forum User

i am in your boat...during the week i cook enough every other day to last us the next day as well. once in a while (every couple of weeks) we'll have cold cut sandwiches, another time take out, another time we go out to eat. make those 2 hours count. and don't feel quilty. lots of other families do it and they survive.

Expert Forum User

Will you be able to hire someone to clean your home for you? I'd probably do that if I could swing it financially. Then you can more or less dedicate the weekend to your kids/your family.

Expert Forum User

I struggle with only seeing my girls between 5:30 and 7:30 each night, and then for an hour in the mornings. So we always focus on having fun. I don't clean the house while they're up because I can do it when they're sleeping - it gives us more play time. Giving my oldest DD some chores has started to help - making her bed, tidying shoes, etc.

A slow cooker is an awesome help. So too is having a “meal prep“ day where you cook 6 or 7 meals in one day to freeze for later. I find the website Freezer Cooking Menus | Once A Month Cooking tips from Once A Month Mom very helpful for quick meals to prep. If there's something I can toss all the ingredients in a freezer bag then put on the stove later - that is gold to me.
    Married 2005. DD1 2007. DD2 2011. Beta Sigma Phi 2013.
    ... and one cute little kitty!

DH & I get home home at 5:30 and kids (7 & 5) go to bed at 8:15pm. It is crazy busy at 5:30 rushing to get supper ready, talk about their day etc..but, what has worked for so many years is meal planning (although i'm still in kitchen until 7 it seems)...and being okay with a messy house. My dishes are clean and the kids have clean clothes, etc..but...i don't care if we are picking clothes (clean) out of laundry baskets b/c i have no time to put away, or if there is a mess in the living room...I want quality evening time with kids for the short time I'm with them. I catch up on cleaning saturday mornings. Your kids will adjust...mine are so tired from school/daycare anyway that alot of the time they just want to relax themselves while I cook dinner or sometimes they will help me. DH & I don't work weekends so we get tons of time with the kids then!!

Like the others have said, it is busy, but you can do it! I find that meal planning for the week is really helpful. I don't meal plan by day, but right out meal ideas for the week, then I just look at my book at night and decide what we will do the next day, and do any prepping before bed.
    I usually do the dishes after dinner, then sweep or anything else that needs to be done after the girls have gone to bed. My girls are 4 and 2, so they go to bed at 8 and 7:30. I don't find it too rushed most nights, there is time for dinner, clean up, homework, playing.
    It will take a few weeks to adjust, but you will find it gets easier and a routine is formed.
    I also do my lunch and dd1's snack the night before so that I don't have to worry about it in the morning.

Expert Forum User

You will get use to it. Just be warned that it you will feel like life is a hamster wheel until you get use to it. You just go, go, go and don't actually get anywhere. It does get better.
    I have several goals:
    1-Get everything done for the next morning (lunches, pack bags, supper plan/prep, choose cloths, etc) before I sit down at the end of the day/go to bed. I leave crazy early but even when I didn't it was nice not to have to stress about the little things.
    2-Do all of the mundane stuff (cleaning etc) during the week so the weekends can be fun. I try to focus on quality time over quantity of time.
    3-Let it go. The world won't end if they eat frozen food or the house isn't perfectly clean. You are human, you can't do it all, and that's okay.

Enjoy your new job. It sounds like a wonderful opportunity.

Expert Forum User

It's surprising how fast you and the rest of the family can get into a routine. I agree that premaking lunches and having dinners made or quicky dinners are awesome ideas. I also like to stockpile snacks like muffins, banana bread, etc. in the freezer to grab so I'm not spending extra money during the day.
    Mommy guilt is totally normal! I try to leave any work (job or house related) until the kids are in bed. Bedtime routine is key, DD1 loves her snuggle time while we read. We have dinner at the table and discuss our days and chitchat and laugh. It's one of the best parts of my day
    Most of all enjoy your job while you're at work and put everything you have into it while you're there. Then when you're at home put everything you have into that. It's a balancing act but it can be done and I'm sure you'll do great! Good luck on Monday and enjoy your new opportunity!

Hailey - April 2008
    Scarlett - April 2012
    Troy - July 2014
    *Currently enrolled in the Perinatal Support Practitioner program through Babies Naturally and looking to attend births as a student doula. Please message me for details!*

Congrats on the new job!

I work part-time, 4 days a week and 3 days off. Three of those are later shifts, so I don't get home til close to 9pm, but the kids stay up til I get home to help with bedtime routine. After my 4th day at work, by the time I get home around 4:30pm, we have an early dinner and then I beg for a nap lol.

You will figure it out and don't be afraid to delegate! It might not get done how you like it though hehe.

Expert Forum User

Congrats on your new job. Is it just you or do you have a significant other? If you do have someone else then it turns into a joint effort. In this household we both work full time. I get off work everyday at 4:30, walk home, get ds from daycare and then get our evening started. Some nights when I have the energy I make a good wholesome meal. other nights we do quick meals like KD or hotdogs or even order out then on the weekend I always make something good and healthy. The house is never as clean as I want it to be. I try to get help from my DH but it's almost like having another kid, I can only nag so much. One good thing he does is if I cook he cleans up after. Usually while dinner is cooking we have a bath or do a quick craft or practice our letters. Some nights we run out of time and there is no bath...whatever, there's only so much you can do. After dinner we get ready for bed. DS doesn't go to bed until between 8 and 8:30 if he went to bed any early we would never get enough time together. I also get him to help me with dinner that's a good way to bond and have some one on one time.
    Once a week we do a class or activity together. Those night are usually busier but I don't mind because I get some time with him.

Yep it's a busy crazy life but it's the only way we can live comfortably and now I'm just used to it.
    I'm

[/B]

I agree with all the previous tips, particularly with relaxing your standards!! We cook mainly on the weekend and simple things like pasta on weekdays. We plan everything for the next day at night once the kids are in bed, we have a routine and stick to it (except maybe friday night) and hubby and I work as a team. We've always both worked full time, my kids don't know any other way. If your kids will be in daycare of after school program, I find their long days make them tired and they need to relax once they get home. We usually give them at least 30 min where they can watch a cartoon and unwind, they really seem to need that time.
    Good luck!

Expert Forum User

Congrats on the job! It is hard but doable. Definitely a team effort. I need to be out of the house to take dd to her school program by 7:30 am and I don't generally get home until 5:30-6 pm. Dh picks her up we have dinner and she is in bed around 7:30pm. The main thing that helps us is to meal plan for the week. This wa we each know exactly what we are having and the first one home starts dinner. Cleaning and other household stuff we tend to do on the weekend.
    Last edited by laurana'smom; 02-02-2013 at 06:46 AM.
    Shannon

Nothing is Impossible, if you just Believe

Expert Forum User

As others have said, developing a routine and making it a team effort will make things go more smoothly.

I do a lot of planning to make things run smoothly. The kids clothes are all put away in outfits because DH dresses them while I am in the shower in the morning. Lunches are always made the night before. We split up the drop off and pick up because I get home earlier, this way I can make dinner so our youngest can eat as soon as he gets home with DH.

We pretty much have a routine for each time of the day and on weekends. It's not written out or anything but a plan to get it all done that DH and I have agreed to.

Expert Forum User

I find the crockpot is great. I even prepare food the night before and put it in the fridge and then just put the container in and turn on
    Crockpot is easy - just add ANY meat product (chicken breast/wings/thighs - bone in or out, sliced beef cubes/strips, pork, etc.
    If using rice soak it in water first (so 1 cup rice/1 cup water) for a few minutes then pour into bottom. Then I add meat, then coat or cover with any sauce (any bbq, or curry, or peanut butter/soy sauce, or diana sauce, etc.). Then you can add veggies on top (frozen veggies, or fresh broccoli, etc.).
    I also love stirfries, cut up meat the night before, put in pan with your sauce, then add frozen veggie bag.
    Frozen pizzas, turn on oven, put in, take out
    Pasta is also easy as you can boil water, then add pasta and set timer, then just add pasta sauce.

I find it's getting the time on the weekends, and having bathtime and booktime each night to make up for not having much time.

I set out clothes the night before, for kids and me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast