Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

***Document everything****, keep a diary if you do anything make sure you have all the info written down as several years later it is useful, communicate in E-mail with him as much as you can as that is time and date stamped. Anything you do or say write down. Go though your banking and take screen shots. Find any info you have in the house, such as drivers numbers, sin numbers, tax info, debts. Move all child passports and birth cert to a safe location. try to remove yourself from any joint debt and If you can't make sure the credit cards are closed ASAP. I have dealt with this and if you need some one to talk to send me a message and I can try to help.

***Document everything****, keep a diary if you do anything make sure you have all the info written down as several years later it is useful, communicate in E-mail with him as much as you can as that is time and date stamped. Anything you do or say write down. Go though your banking and take screen shots. Find any info you have in the house, such as drivers numbers, sin numbers, tax info, debts. Move all child passports and birth cert to a safe location. try to remove yourself from any joint debt and If you can't make sure the credit cards are closed ASAP. I have dealt with this and if you need some one to talk to send me a message and I can try to help.

Denis Burns is supposed to be good...but expensive. He represented my dad when my parents divorced. The retainer was large to start out with.

Remember though, anything paid to lawyers means less divided up between the divorcing parties.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by mrsdavis View Post
    Remember though, anything paid to lawyers means less divided up between the divorcing parties.
    Keep this in mind!!! I would do as much of it yourself as you can. Like temporary custody of the kids and getting the right to live in the house. I'm pretty sure that unless you have 3 particular factors (ex: emotional or physical abuse, infidelity and something else that I can't remember) that you'll have to do 1 yr of separation before you can apply for divorce.

Do your very best not to speak badly of the children's father in front of them. I know that you're mad and hurt and you have every right to be. But as Dr. Phil says, if you talk badly about the other parent, you diminish the child.

And hugs! I can't imagine how badly you must be hurting right now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12