Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Working Moms-Advice For Survival

Ladies,
    let's collect our thoughts on how to survive beeing a mom and working FT...
    I do lower my standards as to housekeeping and spend last few hours of the day with my DS regardless of what else has to be done. I do use a lot of help from family- mom or MIL in particular. I don't think I'm doing a great job anyway, despite beeing constantly sleep deprived he he he. I wish the days were longer...
    When do moms do housekeeping? I know it is hard to do during his nap time - too noisy. What are your priorities?

I've downsized to a sweet little yellow brick home in Old East. My backyard is a haven for birds :)

As far as housekeeping went, my priorities were the girls' room, their laundry (endless!), the bathroom and kitchen. I had a frig magnet that said 'Please don't write in the dust'
    Love seeketh not itself to please,
    Nor for itself hath any care,
    But for another gives its ease,
    And builds a Heaven in Hell's despair.

- William Blake (1757 - 1827)

Expert Forum User

housekeeping? I do that on sunday....lol some of it anyway....
    Mom to DS - 9.5 years old
    AND

Expert Forum User

We try to tidy up our main floor when one of us is playing with DD. Other that that, we do our dusting with DD playing in the same room, we do the vacuuming when the other is getting one of her meals. This is all usually on Sat or Sun. We tidy upstairs every chance we get, usually every night as our family room is upstairs so it is easy to do.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I wash dishes and tidy the kitchen while my pokey DD is finishing her dinner. I tidy the main room after she goes to bed. Her playroom only gets clean when DH or MIL do it, since I can't really bend over that much these days, and I don't care - she'll just get it messy again!
    The rest is done on the weekend. I make DH do a power-hour with me while DD plays (we're lucky - she's pretty independent) and we'll do some dusting, vacuuming, clean the floors, clean the kitchen, change linens, etc. I do laundry once a week on Sundays.

I've never found house keeping a problem. It was easy to do when DS was an infant, then when he hit the toddler stage i made sure I had two of everything. DS has his own mop, so when I mop he mops too. I have a bit of water to clean up after him, but at least it's clean water.
    For me the toughest part of being a working Mom is nutritious meals on work days. Now that it's BBQ season it will definetly be easier, but I can only use the crock pot so many times in the winter.
    Mom to the Desmanian Devil ( May 05 )

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by cari View Post
    I've never found house keeping a problem. It was easy to do when DS was an infant, then when he hit the toddler stage i made sure I had two of everything. DS has his own mop, so when I mop he mops too. I have a bit of water to clean up after him, but at least it's clean water.
    For me the toughest part of being a working Mom is nutritious meals on work days. Now that it's BBQ season it will definetly be easier, but I can only use the crock pot so many times in the winter.
    Ooooh I like the mop idea. Last week she helped me clean a toilet. Wiping all the places after I wiped them. She also likes playing in the laundry when I'm folding and picks out all the socks for me. Trying to get everything done is tough - I feel like I'm always on the lookout for something that doesn't belong in the room....seems never ending.

She likes to do whatever I'm doing...I suppose I could get more done if I switched to all natural/non toxic cleaners and then she could clean with me without me worrying about the hazard...hmmmmm.

DH also has his "chores" to do. Been a bit of a battle lately, I used to have a spreadsheet that listed everything and you checked off daily what did/did not get done. People say men are visual - this way he could see exactly how everything was divided. And I had one room a day listed where we set a timer and would both clean the room for say 15-20 mintues. Timer went off and were done no matter what. This actually worked really well. lol After 3-4 weeks we would run out of things to clean in the kitchen and started pulling out the applicances. Whenever he slacks I threaten to bring back the spreadsheet. I know, spreadsheet, very anal, but he literally did nothing...nothing when we started living together and I knew if I felt like the maid it wouldn't last more than 6 months if that....

Sometimes I wonder if working FT keeps things cleaner. No one at home all day to mess anything up.
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

Expert Forum User

I always dream about having someone come in to clean. It really is the bottom of my priority list when i get home from a long day and finallly get to hang out with my family. My theory is that you only live once.
    We do most of it on the weekend and do laundry/basic tidying through the week. We work a lot though - so we fall behind frequently

Expert Forum User

I do a little housecleaning every night after the kids are in bed. Always prep for the next day (lunches, pack bags, lay out clothing etc). Usually dishes and a quick pick-up. Then every day of the week has it's own task. Monday moping, sweeping and vaccuming, tuesday groceries, wednesday washrooms, thursday dusting and organizing, friday vaccum main floor again and special projects. I plan for about an hour of housework everynight. Laundry on the weekend.

I find it's a schedule I can keep up with even during the busy holiday season and other times we're not home much on the weekend. It also has a little wiggle room if something comes up on a weekday.

I'm pritty good at having a freezer full of options for supper. Sometimes I'll get modivated and do a weekly meal plan. I'm working on a perminant meal plan with a 4-6 week rotation but I don't know if I'll ever finish.

I am finding it hard to keep up with things now that I have 2 and back at work FT. I try and set aside one hour a night for chores(usually after BT) and a few hours on the weekend during nap time for the bigger stuff. Doing the dishes while the kids are still eating is one thing I do too. I even had a to hire cleaning lady for while so that I could catch up and get my house ready for sale. People that clean houses (not sure what the PC version is) aren't as pricey as you would think. I find from personal experience if you do a little each day that there is not as much to do on weekends.
    I think working FT and having kids is like having 2 FT jobs. It sucks.
    Formerly Mega Baby Mom:
    Mother of 2 boys born May 2004 and September 2006!

"I don't pretend to have all the answers. I don't pretend to even know what the questions are. Hey, where am I?"
    ~ Jack Handey

The easiest is to do a little bit each day so it doesn't feel like you spend your weekend cleaning. I'll try and do a load of laundry every other day so it doesn't pile up too much. For the bathroom buy some wipes and every other day do a quick wipe down of the counter/sink, etc and you won't need to do a big clean-up of the washroom as much. After bathtime wipe down the tub as well--makes a difference.

I'm in the same camp as Cari... it's not the housekeeping that I find as hard as the cooking... coming home at 5pm and needing to get something nutritious on the table for my daughter by 5:15 or 5:30 at the very latest.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    I'm in the same camp as Cari... it's not the housekeeping that I find as hard as the cooking... coming home at 5pm and needing to get something nutritious on the table for my daughter by 5:15 or 5:30 at the very latest.
    Same here!! Anyone have ideas about non-frozen foods?? I find the Kraft magazines helpful sometimes, but they get repetitive and DD's not a huge fan of casseroles.

The problem with the frozen foods (besides the fat/salt content) is actually that they typically want 45-50 minutes in the oven, and I just don't have that kind of time.

One thing we do that's fast is to make homemade pizzas. We just use fajita shells (since we like thin crust pizza anyway) and put tomato sauce and mozza cheese on them and then load up with our favourite veggies. the whole thing takes maybe 20 minutes from the time I pull out the fajita's to the time dinner's on the table. Yes, it's pizza, but at least it's pretty healthy, and my kid eats it.

I also cut up chicken breasts into "nuggets" and shake & bake them for chicken nuggets. That's pretty quick. And so is soup & grilled cheese with a side of veggies. Thankfully my daughter is really into dipping raw veggies these days, so that helps.

I also try to make something bigger on Sunday's so we have leftovers on Mondays.

this is so me right now!! i just finished my 1st week back full-time. My ds works 2 jobs so, i p/u the kids (at seperate daycares) at 5:15 then come home, rush supper, then it's magically 6:30, then i do baths, the baby goes to bed and then my ds is in bed...the night goes so fast i get nothing done. I like the idea of designating certain nights for particular chores, this may work. My house was destroyed this week, i didn't stick to my meal plan. I have no idea how to stay ahead and not get stressed. I need to get everything ready the night b/f, bags packed for daycare, clothes picked out, my lunch made..etc. I find this easier in the morning when i am dealing w/a grumpy toddler who hates waking up! I can't wait to hear more tips...b/c i'm exausted and my house is messy!...i end up making the kids something to eat when we get home then after they go to bed and my dh gets home i make us something to eat...so much work, but my ds is super picky!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast