Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I hate the idea of enforced nap time and i saw a lot of it at licensed centres but quiet time as many hdp here are talking about benefits everybody. Actually I'm having it right now and i'm a sahm to my kids. We all need time to recharge but kids also need time to learn to be calm, quiet and focused. Time to read and play games, to listen to a story, or work on a craft independently. That's a far cry from a sleep and a very necessary skill. I have 3 crazily energetic kids who never stop so an enforced lets slow it down for awhile is important.
    Cole is 8 years old! January, 2005
    Nate is 5 years old! January, 2008
    Judah is 2 years old! October, 2010
    Avery Grace born & passed Feb 4, 2007.

"Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?"
    Anita Diamant (The Red Tent)

Quote Originally Posted by gogomom View Post
    That setup is specifically what I would have avoided.
    My 1 year old DS#3 only had an afternoon nap and he dropped that before he was 3.
    I would never had chosen a HDCP who “forced“ my child to lay down for a nap - even if it was for half an hour.

I hate it when I read how jobs “out of the home“ require this or that. I work “out of the home“ but am self-employed. I also don't get a lunch break or other breaks - I eat on the run or squeeze food in when answering e-mails - I also don't complain about it because as a self-employed person I get other perks, like not having a “boss“.....
    Wow!! I was just sharing what I do at my home daycare I wasn't telling you what to do!! That is why there is an interview process where parents and provider BOTH get to decide if they are the right fit for each other. Kudos to you for finding a place that met what you were looking for, but that doesn't mean that I have to run that way.
    Also, that is YOUR CHOICE to not have a break during the day and eat while you work. Just like it is my choice to have a break, and if you read my post carefully you would also see that I said that I clean up (from our morning of daycare and lunch) and prepare activities for the afternoon.
    And in no way was I complaining, I was stating the facts and my reasoning of how I run my business.
    Your response was very aggressive.
    Last edited by daycaremum; 01-28-2013 at 11:16 AM.

Expert Forum User

I don't think my response was aggressive.
    I was stating my opinion about forced napping.
    I also happened to state my opinion about self-employed people who compare their work to having a “job“ when IMO these things cannot be compared. You getting to run your business the way you want is a perfect example of that.

I wasn't complaining either... maybe you think I should have just shut up and not expressed my feelings as a parent about enforced napping? Personally, my children are WELL past the daycare age and our HDCP was a fantastic person who was interested in working will all the parents and children in her care so that everybody was happy.

I don't think my response was aggressive.
    I was stating my opinion about forced napping.
    I also happened to state my opinion about self-employed people who compare their work to having a “job“ when IMO these things cannot be compared. You getting to run your business the way you want is a perfect example of that.

I wasn't complaining either... maybe you think I should have just shut up and not expressed my feelings as a parent about enforced napping? Personally, my children are WELL past the daycare age and our HDCP was a fantastic person who was interested in working will all the parents and children in her care so that everybody was happy.
    No, you were stating your opinion of my post. You quoted my post and then said this is exactly what you would avoid, it was an unnecessary comment as you had already stated your preferences (so no, I didn't think you should have 'shut up', as you already had your say), so I found your comments directed at me aggressive and personal.
    My original post was in response to the OP's question about how long everybody had nap. It wasn't for you to give your personal opinion about how I run my daycare, or how I feel like I should get a break because most people do.
    I'm very pleased you had a daycare that you were happy with and that she worked with your needs. I too work with my families' needs, to the best of my ability, there are five families using my services and I have to take into consideration each of the children and myself when making a decision. I do what works best for the group.
    I also mentioned that I wasn't complaining because you said you hated it when people complained about not getting a break. I did not accuse you of complaining, just of being aggressive.
    You are entitled to post your opinions I suppose, but I thought this thread was about the OP's question, not about the way I run my daycare.

Quote Originally Posted by daycaremum View Post
    No, you were stating your opinion of my post. You quoted my post and then said this is exactly what you would avoid, it was an unnecessary comment as you had already stated your preferences (so no, I didn't think you should have 'shut up', as you already had your say), so I found your comments directed at me aggressive and personal.
    My original post was in response to the OP's question about how long everybody had nap. It wasn't for you to give your personal opinion about how I run my daycare, or how I feel like I should get a break because most people do.
    I'm very pleased you had a daycare that you were happy with and that she worked with your needs. I too work with my families' needs, to the best of my ability, there are five families using my services and I have to take into consideration each of the children and myself when making a decision. I do what works best for the group.
    I also mentioned that I wasn't complaining because you said you hated it when people complained about not getting a break. I did not accuse you of complaining, just of being aggressive.
    You are entitled to post your opinions I suppose, but I thought this thread was about the OP's question, not about the way I run my daycare.
    I'm actually kind of glad that gogomom brought this up. I am currently looking for a HDC provider, and realized that it is not as simple as calling up and fitting my kid in. There are questions to ask about the running of a day care, policies regarding naps etc. This is not something I would have thought about earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsdavis View Post
    I'm actually kind of glad that gogomom brought this up. I am currently looking for a HDC provider, and realized that it is not as simple as calling up and fitting my kid in. There are questions to ask about the running of a day care, policies regarding naps etc. This is not something I would have thought about earlier.
    Yes, it is good that she originally stated that she did not like a required nap time, because it is something that a parent looking for child care should ask about when going to an interview. My issue is with her second response which was directed at my description of my daycare.
    There are many, many questions that a family should ask their potential Daycare provider and it is good to get ideas from other parents who have been though it and from providers on sites like this.

I. Don't. Want. To. Say. It........

So... very.... tempting.....

Expert Forum User

I absolutely commented on your post, that your policies regarding naps is a situation I would have avoided. You posted about naps for younger children being “non-negotiable“... I commented with my opinion.
    That is neither aggressive or mean. Parents (and frankly I thought the OP) needed to know that parents will ask questions and either choose or not choose a HDC based on policies and practices.

Quite often a parent chooses a HDC over centre based care because of the ability of the provider to work with the families to make the experience positive for all parties... sometimes that requires negotiation.

I absolutely commented on your post, that your policies regarding naps is a situation I would have avoided. You posted about naps for younger children being “non-negotiable“... I commented with my opinion.
    That is neither aggressive or mean. Parents (and frankly I thought the OP) needed to know that parents will ask questions and either choose or not choose a HDC based on policies and practices.

Quite often a parent chooses a HDC over centre based care because of the ability of the provider to work with the families to make the experience positive for all parties... sometimes that requires negotiation.

Exactly, and home daycare's are also run differently from one another, thus the importance of the interview process that I mentioned before. The interview allows the provider and the parent to ask questions of one another so they can both decide if the other is the right fit for them.

Exactly, and home daycare's are also run differently from one another, thus the importance of the interview process that I mentioned before. The interview allows the provider and the parent to ask questions of one another so they can both decide if the other is the right fit for them.

Ok, I have to ask... If you are a HDC provider, why are you spending so much time online during the day? THIS, is something I definitely do not want to see in a provider....

Expert Forum User

Of course all HDC's run differently depending on the HDCP's preferences and experience. Just like all families have preferences and needs that are different. IME most parents interview at several different HDC's before choosing one. IDK and cannot comment on how many families get interviewed by HDCP's to fill a single spot.

I still cannot see how stating my opinion (that I would reject a daycare with your nap policy) based on your post is aggressive.

Gogomom, I am done the debate, and was trying to agree with you that it is good for everyone to ask questions when looking for a daycare arrangement, whether you are the parent or the provider.
    It is great to interview several HDCP's. And as one myself I can tell you that when I have an opening I have interviewed as many as 5 families for one spot. And sometimes I only have one opening and have only interviewed one family, but they weren't a good fit so I declined to take the child into care. And sometimes a family comes and decides my HDC is not the right fit for them. That's how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsdavis View Post
    Ok, I have to ask... If you are a HDC provider, why are you spending so much time online during the day? THIS, is something I definitely do not want to see in a provider....
    Well, I first went on the forum to check if there was anything new while my kiddos were playing with playdoh this morning.

Then being on a thread about nap time, you would realize that it is now naptime, and as I go about my own business while all my daycare children are in bed, I like to pop on-line through out rest time to check e-mails from parents, check the many Daycare forums I belong too, check my daycare facebook page and when I get in a conversation like this one, I like to check back and see what has been said.
    Our rest time today was from 1:20-3:30, a little later than usual as the kids were enjoying a craft after lunch and I wanted to let them finish before they went to bed.

Thanks for asking.

Expert Forum User

There was no debate - I was not trying to get you (or anyone else) to feel the same way I do. I was not even arguing a point, I stated my opinion.

I was however trying to get you to tell me exactly WHY you felt my post was aggressive, because I didn't then nor do I now, feel that it was.
    Last edited by gogomom; 01-28-2013 at 03:16 PM. Reason: spelling

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Gogomom, I am done the debate, and was trying to agree with you that it is good for everyone to ask questions when looking for a daycare arrangement, whether you are the parent or the provider.
    It is great to interview several HDCP's. And as one myself I can tell you that when I have an opening I have interviewed as many as 5 families for one spot. And sometimes I only have one opening and have only interviewed one family, but they weren't a good fit so I declined to take the child into care. And sometimes a family comes and decides my HDC is not the right fit for them. That's how it goes.
    can I ask are you new to forums in general?

Gogomom is not being agressive or debating trust me.

You cant read tone or attitude in a post and assuming that she is being aggressive is an assumption on your part.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast