Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How long is rest time?

For those who do child care in their homes, how long is rest time for the children who no longer nap? What does your rest time consist of?
    Last edited by Mojo3; 01-18-2013 at 02:16 PM.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

We don't have one. Only 1 naps occasionally and when she does nap she'll sleep through anything.

“life is not measured by the breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away“

Expert Forum User

Our HDCP did quiet games and crafts during the younger kids nap times. No one was “forced“ to nap or have “quiet time“. It was one of the things I specifically asked about because I didn't like the idea of my child being forced into quiet / rest time when he no longer napped.

Our rest time is 2 hours. If I have a child who is older 3 and older who is going to school the next year and the parent feels they no longer need to nap, we compromise. The child must lay quietly on their mat for 30 mins, then if they are still awake I give them quiet activities to do on their mat for the remainder of rest time. If it is a school age child they watch a movie during rest time. Rest time is also my break time to have my lunch, clean up, get activities ready, recharge my batteries (jobs out of the home have mandatory break times), so some sort of “rest“ is required at my house. If the parent of a younger child requests no nap, that is not negotiable. And if an older child falls asleep on their own, I do not wake them until rest time is over.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by daycaremum View Post
    Our rest time is 2 hours. If I have a child who is older 3 and older who is going to school the next year and the parent feels they no longer need to nap, we compromise. The child must lay quietly on their mat for 30 mins, then if they are still awake I give them quiet activities to do on their mat for the remainder of rest time. If it is a school age child they watch a movie during rest time. Rest time is also my break time to have my lunch, clean up, get activities ready, recharge my batteries (jobs out of the home have mandatory break times), so some sort of “rest“ is required at my house. If the parent of a younger child requests no nap, that is not negotiable. And if an older child falls asleep on their own, I do not wake them until rest time is over.
    That setup is specifically what I would have avoided.
    My 1 year old DS#3 only had an afternoon nap and he dropped that before he was 3.
    I would never had chosen a HDCP who “forced“ my child to lay down for a nap - even if it was for half an hour.

I hate it when I read how jobs “out of the home“ require this or that. I work “out of the home“ but am self-employed. I also don't get a lunch break or other breaks - I eat on the run or squeeze food in when answering e-mails - I also don't complain about it because as a self-employed person I get other perks, like not having a “boss“.....

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by gogomom View Post
    That setup is specifically what I would have avoided.
    My 1 year old DS#3 only had an afternoon nap and he dropped that before he was 3.
    I would never had chosen a HDCP who “forced“ my child to lay down for a nap - even if it was for half an hour.

I hate it when I read how jobs “out of the home“ require this or that. I work “out of the home“ but am self-employed. I also don't get a lunch break or other breaks - I eat on the run or squeeze food in when answering e-mails - I also don't complain about it because as a self-employed person I get other perks, like not having a “boss“.....
    So you're saying that you could care for, play with, etc. 5 children in your home for 8-10 hours a day, without a single break to sit down, unwind, eat, prepare other activities,etc. and not go insane!!!! Wow, I want what you're having.

Now to answer the original question. If the child is under 3 they must have a nap/rest. They are put down anywhere between 12 and 1 (depending on the child) and they all usually sleep until about 3. If they are between 3 and 4 they lay down for 30-45 minutes and if they are not asleep after that then they can watch a movie or play with quiet toys until the other kids wake up. The 4+ kids watch a movie and have a snack while the little ones rest.
    Jodie
    Mom to 3 boys (9, 7 and 4) &
    our little girl (born Dec 2013)
    www.brightmindschildcare.ca
    www.jodie.lovablelabels.ca

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
    So you're saying that you could care for, play with, etc. 5 children in your home for 8-10 hours a day, without a single break to sit down, unwind, eat, prepare other activities,etc. and not go insane!!!! Wow, I want what you're having.
    I am not a HDCP - never had a desire to be one - so that is not a scenario that I would put myself in. When my three kids have a friend over each = 6 kids in my home, I don't really get a chance to sit down and relax - no, just like I don't sit down and relax at work either.

What I said was the “required nap / quiet time“ was one of the things I asked about and rejected HDCP's for.

There are lots of quiet games / books / activities / crafts that kids can do independently for 10 - 15 minutes if you need a “time-out“.

I simply gave my opinion that I have never been a fan of the enforced nap - that's all.

i am not fan of enforced naps either. it can mess with their sleeping at night.
    jennifer mommy to 4 amazing kids!

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Ivveyy View Post
    i am not fan of enforced naps either. it can mess with their sleeping at night.
    Yeah this. So far my kids outgrow naps well before age 3.

Expert Forum User

that's why i like our daycare provider so much as well. we had problems with dd2 sleeping at night, cut out the naps, she was all for it. works great for us. and for the record i don't know how homecare providers do it but glad they do

When I need a minute to collect myself or prepare something they are given either an organized activity to do or they are asked to play quietly for 10 minutes. I eat with them when they eat while also feeding the 1 year old.

“life is not measured by the breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away“

Expert Forum User

I dont ENFORCE naps, quiet time is 1-2:30, 3ish. All my HDC kids are 2 and half and under. well one is 5 and goes to school in afternoon. But as soon as curtains are closed in playroom they go to there beds, with in 10 mins all 4 are out. So they still need the nap/quiet time.

Expert Forum User

I'm curious, as a parent with a child in a home daycare; what is your conern with a specified rest/nap time?
    My son is 19 months, he can sleep anywhere from 1.5 hours to 3 hours a day for naptime. I know what he is like without a nap, and it isn't pretty. If he wasn't taken to the room and put down in his playpen to nap, he wouldn't nap, then it isn't pretty for the provider, me, or him to have him that upset and overtired.

Expert Forum User

Just to clarify, I don't enforce naps but I do ask that all of the children have some quiet/rest time. The children in my care are very active and I am a firm believer that everyone's body needs some downtime during the day in order to reenergize for the rest of the day.
    Jodie
    Mom to 3 boys (9, 7 and 4) &
    our little girl (born Dec 2013)
    www.brightmindschildcare.ca
    www.jodie.lovablelabels.ca

Just to clarify, when I was referring to rest time, I didn't mean turning out the lights and having them lie down quietly for x amount of time. I understand that that is what rest time may mean to some.

I was more interested in the children who no longer nap. For rest time I put a movie on for them. With all the play etc I feel it is good for the kids to sit down and relax for a bit in the afternoon. So I was wondering for those who do the same or have their children do quiet activities like puzzles and books, how long is rest time?

If a parent does not want their child to have a nap anymore I am fine with that. As a parent I understand and wouldn't want anything to interfere with there bed time schedule.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast