Default London Business Owner Lives on the Streets for a Week

Brutal week ?drains? advocate | Local | News | The London Free Press

Has anyone else been following Heykel Kader on twitter this week? Props to this guy for raising awareness to our community's homelessness.

Here's his twitter feed -
    https://twitter.com/heykelkader
    My musings about my children, my crafts and everything and anything else can be found on my blog.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

How did I miss this! Thanks for posting!
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

Read it - that's nice to read that London is full of free meals. People may not have a place to go, but hopefully no one dying of starvation, which, in our plentiful society is ridiculous that it does still happen.
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

100% agree! I just wish we could say the same about housing.

One of Heykel's self-imposed rules was to not take anything away from the real homeless, so he did not use beds at the shelters. And if someone wanted to give him food or money, he would work for it - he did lots of cleaning!

What I find interesting is how controversial his journey has been. Lots of people have been sending messages of support, but there are still handfuls of people who scoff. But Heykel is giving a voice to those living in the margins. He is building bridges. The guy has heart. I have a hard time finding fault in that.
    My musings about my children, my crafts and everything and anything else can be found on my blog.

I liked the end when he was asked how to fix it and he said he didn't know, such an honest answer. It's so complicated, and there's no cookie cutter answer that would work for everyone out there.

I'm surprised he's getting any kind of flack for this!

Some say that his experience on the streets can't come close to being real because at the end of the week, he has a nice, warm house to go home to. They say it's different because people are listening to him - because he isn't mentally ill, he is well-liked and has lots of friends, he's intelligent, he's in good physical shape, he's a man . . . - in other words he is rich in resources besides financial resources. Some think it would be better for him to throw his money at the problem, but I don't agree with that. Yes, it's a money problem, but it's not JUST a money problem. It's housing, safety, empathy, kindness, health, education, respect, acceptance, relationships, connections, politics . . .

Geez, well of course it's different!

What he's done is way better than throwing his own $ at it while staying inside his nice warm house. He's creating more awareness, the more people reading and involved the better. That, cannot be underestimated.

I hope that he follows this up with a collection of the stories of people he met this week. I'm interested in understanding more the complexities of poverty. I first questioned my misconceptions of people experiencing homelessness when I heard my friend Abe speak at Ignite London a few years ago - here's the video - Homelessness in London | Ignite London It only took 5 minutes for him to change my mind. There's power to understanding.

And then shortly after, I watched the video stories of these three Londoners about their spiral into poverty, and I understood how it could happen to any of us - Home | The Real Issue Just hover your pointer over the people, and they tell their stories.

I completely agree that awareness and education goes a LONG way!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by corazenia View Post
    Some say that his experience on the streets can't come close to being real because at the end of the week, he has a nice, warm house to go home to. They say it's different because people are listening to him - because he isn't mentally ill, he is well-liked and has lots of friends, he's intelligent, he's in good physical shape, he's a man . . . - in other words he is rich in resources besides financial resources. Some think it would be better for him to throw his money at the problem, but I don't agree with that. Yes, it's a money problem, but it's not JUST a money problem. It's housing, safety, empathy, kindness, health, education, respect, acceptance, relationships, connections, politics . . .
    I think he is great for trying and I hope people start seeing the homeless as real people from this but I also truel hope this does not backfire on the very people he is trying to help.

John clark of ocap did stuff like that and every.single.time people stopped helping us folks becasue they saw how he was getting food brought to him etc they did not realize that its not the same for the ones really there.

His expiernce will only be maybe 20% like real homeless

1) he has most likely a WAY better jacket to keep warm
    2) he is not fighting the demons of addiction , mental health issues, past trauma etc
    3) people are offering him things and talking to him do you think that actually happens to real homeless?

Homelessness is a HARD issue to fix and its not just about finding housing.

giving housing is the biggest damn misconception that everyone has to fix it, they all say ok here is a home screw off your done.

what about life skills? etc etc

ARGG I have threads here on this hang on

just weird

Why We Should Give to Panhandlers

about the homeless

At Stop Lights??

Homelessness

I search my name and homeless and these are just a few that came up. Im sure in there is a ton of info

I absolutely agree with you SP! And Heykel does too if you read enough of his stuff.

For what it's worth, I started the Why We Should Give to Panhandlers thread.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by corazenia View Post
    I absolutely agree with you SP! And Heykel does too if you read enough of his stuff.

For what it's worth, I started the Why We Should Give to Panhandlers thread.
    Oh I know I was not trying to argue.