Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default recommendations for windows

Does anyone know of a reputable place which is very very reasonably priced too to buy a small window? We recently realized that the seal in our main bathroom window is gone and there is a tonne of water inside the two pieces of glass. I don't want a mold problem to develop in this house, so it needs to be replaced right away! This house is 18-19 years old, so some of the windows in it are original. This is something else that is going to have to go on a credit card, as we don't have the cash to pay for this! My husband may be able to put one in himself but he has never put windows in, so who knows? Ahhhh when does this end? the joys of owning a house! I am hoping not to spend a tonne on this one window! I would really appreciate ppl's recommendations of places they have bought windows from, etc. Any clue what kind of price I am looking at for this? I am not certain of the exact dimensions of this window but it's fairly small just not tiny tiny.
    Thanks for your suggestions! and fingers crssed for me that my DH and I don't come across more needed projects for this house right now! Have enough debt to get rid of...the next big project is saving up for a new furnace and central air conditining unit (also original to the house-bills costing too much and we want to get the high efficiency energy saving units as soon as we can pay fro them!).

I had some windows replaced last year, and after I think 5 quotes, had them installed by Eurotech. There was a flyer that came in a package with a coupon in it, but I don't think you needed it. I just called them, and they were able to quote me a price. Home Depot as well I found had good prices on windows if your DH is able to install himself.

BabyDaisy:
    Any clue what the labour was to install a window? I just want some idea of the amount I am looking at ahead of time so I can factor all of this in. Nothing against my husband, as he is a great handyman for sure but like I had said, he has neve rput a window in ever and I want to make certain it goes in properly, etc. I am thibnking perhaps someone who has done this before may be our best bet just to be safe, you know?
    Where is Eurotech located? I am not certain I've heard of them but maybe I have and just threw a flyer out in the past seeing as I have never been in the search for a new window til now. Why does everything have to be so bloody expensive these days? I am so obsessed with money and lack of right now so this is the reason I say this lol!

Expert Forum User

Im in the same boat, except my windows ARE molding in the cold weather. when its warm not a single problem thankfully. Windows are soo expensive. Luckily some companys offer a payment plan which is what I may have to go for. I cannot afford new windows throughout the hole house, plus fix my porch and put in a new back door. If its possibly to get ur dh or another family member to install the windows id reccommend doing that because just installation costs alot. We are hoping dh's uncle will be able to make it down before winter to help us out as we have never installed windows before.
    April - Mommy to Ivy, Sophia & Ryker

Expert Forum User

We just had our front window replaced. Mind you it was 115 by 53 inches, so a big window. But we first went to Home depot and was quoted $2700 for the labour and window. We went to Warehouse disposal (820 Cabell St)and purchased our window there. We got 40% off the window, and they recommended a guy they like to tell people to use. He was good with installing it. All together it cost us $1500, 400 of that was a labour charge and the window was $1000 and supplies were the rest of the cost. We were pretty happy with it all.

Quote Originally Posted by 2boysmom View Post
    BabyDaisy:
    Any clue what the labour was to install a window? I just want some idea of the amount I am looking at ahead of time so I can factor all of this in. Nothing against my husband, as he is a great handyman for sure but like I had said, he has neve rput a window in ever and I want to make certain it goes in properly, etc. I am thibnking perhaps someone who has done this before may be our best bet just to be safe, you know?
    Where is Eurotech located? I am not certain I've heard of them but maybe I have and just threw a flyer out in the past seeing as I have never been in the search for a new window til now. Why does everything have to be so bloody expensive these days? I am so obsessed with money and lack of right now so this is the reason I say this lol!
    I'm not sure what the breakdown was exactly, but I had three windows replaced, all were 3 feet by about 5 feet, and it came to just under $2000, including everything, and I paid extra to be put on a payment plan, don't pay for a year. I have nothing to compare to for quality of the workmanship, I thought it was great, but I am no expert. The installers did not speak english, but they were in and out in about an hour and a bit. Quite fast! I'm not sure where they are located, a salesman which was extremly helpful and friendly came out to my place to show the options and prices etc.

I hate how everything costs a fortune as well, I can't even afford the payments monthly...lol!

Expert Forum User

within walking distance of downtown but a good part

my DF is a glazier by trade he has been installing windows for almost 16 years mostly out west , i can tell you that if your DH want to install then himself it would be cheaper to buy the windows from glass canada and install them yourself. home depot in more expensive and glass canada can cut the window to the right dimensions.. and what ever you do dont get Thames Glass to do any work . DF worked for them and most of their workers do hack jobs. if you get the dimensions i can ask DF what the cost might be and where to get it

I sell AVON I sell SCENTSY JOIN THE PARTY!

We had almost all our windows done in October and I had 4 quotes. I love the people at MP Windows and the job was done on time and very professional. They were great to deal with and I would HIGHLY recommend them. Although they were not the cheapest, I believe you get what you pay for. We had Strassburger windows installed but they offer different brands. I dealt with Giselle and felt she was very honest. She told me our front windows did not need to be replaced when other companies were willing to charge me to do them also.

Expert Forum User

within walking distance of downtown but a good part

oh and dont go with sears . they installed my grandmas Windows and forgot to put caulking on it and needed to be replaced within a year

I sell AVON I sell SCENTSY JOIN THE PARTY!

We've had most of the windows in our house replaced since we bought 11 years ago and we've always used W. Smith Aluminium and I've always been happy with their work. Our basement windows were the last ones we replaced and we paid $800.00 for 4 windows and their installation and that was about 2 years ago.
    Mommy to three adorable kids!

Expert Forum User

Homecastle did our windows at our 1st house...they did a great job, it wouldn't hurt to get a quote, right?

At our current house, we had a quote done by Beverly Hills Home Improvements and for just the bathroom window it was $660.00 including labour. The whole quote was for over $5000.00 so maybe if you only needed one window replaced they would charge more.
    Lynn, newly employed mom to Evelyn (13), Sophie (10), and Georgia (6)

GIRLS ROCK!!

there is a business on kijiji for whole sale and they are 90% cheaper than stores

Thanks for all of the suggestions/recommendations ladies!

In case you are still looking. We just had 5 windows installed in our home. Two upstairs bedroom ones, which were quite large, one in the bathroom. (we were having the same issue you are having) and one in the kitchen and one in the dining room. Total with tax & instalation was aprox $2500.
    The installer came and it only took him one day to do all 5. He was very fast, very clean and very friendly.
    The company we used was call FM Windows. They only advertise in flyers and mostly go by word of mouth. They manufacture the windows themselves, and they are under warranty for 25 years. (only because we got their installer to put them in.) The sales man told me that even if you buy a window that has a warranty, the warranty company might not honour it if they find out that you put them in yourself. They have to be installed by a professional.

If you want, the guys name is Bill Sanderson and his number is 519-652-8458

When we got ours, they had a great payment plan. 24 equal payments, no interest.

Hope all goes well.
    Rochelle
    aka Justin's Mom