Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default suzuki violin lessons

we got our DS a violin as a Christmas present and my Dad is going to pay for lessons. He's done some research and thinks that suzuki lessons are the best bet for a little guy of 4. Does anyone have any recommendations or know where we can find suzuki violin lessons in London?
    thanks!

[/url]

I would ask Annasmom, her daughter takes violin lessons and is around that age.

My boys have done Suzuki violin since they were toddlers...unfortunately the best teacher ever (IMO) of course just moved to Newfoundland. Here is a link to the Suzuki Organization of Ontario with a find a teacher feature. Not sure how current it is though...I will also pm you with our new teacher's info.
    Last edited by calia2313; 12-06-2012 at 03:38 PM.

Expert Forum User

How exciting! My daughter started Suzuki violin in September. She has a private teacher and also attends weekly group lessons.

Here is a directory of Suzuki teachers in Ontario: http://www.suzukiontario.org/directory
    We found her teacher (Louise Bellhouse) that way. Patrick Burroughs is also on the directory and he also came very highly recommended but he lives in the other end of the city.

Pat Burroughs is also the director of the Forest City School for Talent Education (http://www.forestcitytalenteducation.com/) which is where Anna takes group lessons. I was hesitant to do the group lessons at first because our schedule is pretty packed as is, but Louise highly recommended them and she was right. They are so much fun. They are Saturday mornings. To start, the kids do 30 minutes of playing and then 30 minutes of singing, then 30 minutes of choir rehearsal. Anna has now moved up a level so she does 60 minutes playing, then choir rehearsal.

Suzuki violin requires a pretty big parental commitment. I attend Anna's private lessons and take notes and I'm expected to guide her practising every day. I also attend the group lessons and the parent information sessions that are offered while the children are in choir rehearsal. It's a great method and there's plenty to talk about and most of the parents are pretty involved.

Here is a video of Anna practising for her upcoming Christmas concert. I'm pretty impressed with how far she has come in just a couple of months. This video is kinda funny because the song she is playing is called O Come Little Children and her little sister does indeed crawl over as soon as the song begins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWTPKrkhbG8

And another:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJCLq7PUhRM
    Last edited by AnnasMom; 12-06-2012 at 03:50 PM. Reason: fixing links

Amazing! I really want to squeeze her after her bow at the end!

Expert Forum User

We were doing a private lesson once a week. Then in September we switched DD over to the Suzuki Violin school with a teacher in the North end and have not regretted it. Included is a private lesson on Saturday morning, and a one hour group (all ages play together) class on Mondays at 5 pm. We pay $100 a month. She has made some incredible gains in such little time. I am super impressed with the program.
    May the wind always be at your back

Expert Forum User

thank you for all the great info! I feel like our son will really enjoy the one on one time with a parent when he's practicing because of the two little sisters factor

[/url]

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by AnnasMom View Post
    I just have to admit, the first video made me nervous, I kept watching the LO get closer and closer to the fire place LOL.
    THANK YOU TO EVERYONE-WE WON! -BIG LM'S HUGS!!!
    ----------------------------------------------------

Please forgive me, I know that I can not spell
    ----------------------------------------------------

Treasure your loved ones, in a blink of an eye they can be gone and there is no second chance to show them how much you loved them.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by ProudMommy View Post
    I just have to admit, the first video made me nervous, I kept watching the LO get closer and closer to the fire place LOL.
    LOL...it doesn't get hot to the touch. But when I posted this video on FB I added “no babies were harmed in the making of this video“ because it does look like she's going to crawl right in!

Ali

Wow--that's amazing progress! My 6 year old has been asking to take violin lessons. I really like the idea of Suzuki lessons. Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Ali View Post
    Wow--that's amazing progress! My 6 year old has been asking to take violin lessons. I really like the idea of Suzuki lessons. Thanks for the info!
    It is amazing progress... It should likely be noted that not all kids that start with Suzuki likely progress as quickly as Anna. I've met her and heard her play the piano... and I'd have to say she's likely a bit of an exception with quite a gift for music.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    It is amazing progress... It should likely be noted that not all kids that start with Suzuki likely progress as quickly as Anna. I've met her and heard her play the piano... and I'd have to say she's likely a bit of an exception with quite a gift for music.
    She does enjoy music and she has had the benefit of a year of piano lessons (with a fantastic teacher, thanks to jellybean!). Suzuki violin, to start, is supposed to be entirely by ear (with no or minimal music reading) but since Anna can read music already, she has a bit of an advantage, I think. We try to do everything by ear, but it does help that she can also sight read a piece pretty easily too. I think she's progressing even faster on the violin than on the piano because she is learning the violin both by ear and by sight.

Suzuki students are expected to listen to recordings of their pieces every day, so to start you could pick up book one with the CD and start listening. (I hope you don't hate Twinkle Twinkle because you're going to hear a lot of it!!! )

Expert Forum User

I know someone else that uses that same music school and raves about it! Do you have to pay separately for choir, voice and violin or is that inclusive in the $475 fee? I am considering either piano or violin for my DD. Her teacher recommended it to me.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by BabyLove View Post
    I know someone else that uses that same music school and raves about it! Do you have to pay separately for choir, voice and violin or is that inclusive in the $475 fee? I am considering either piano or violin for my DD. Her teacher recommended it to me.
    It is all included. And then after choir, there is open recital time which is nice. We always hang around for that and have a snack from the snack table. And then after recital, often we stay and listen to orchestra rehearsal. It is such a lovely way to spend a Saturday morning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast