Thread: teachers strike

Default teachers strike

With this impending strike coming up ive been asked to take my before and after school care 5 year old all day if needed. I charge 30 dollars a day for her full time 3 year old sister. If this happens, do i charge the same rate for the 5 year old? I love taking care of the 5 year old and am looking forward to it. Do i give the parents a break because its an unexpected cost right around christmas? Or because shes 5 do I charge less? Anyone know?

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I would charge the same. You include food, that's cheap.
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

You charge what YOU feel comforatable with. I do not think anyone else really can tell you. I think it depends on your dynamic with the family and what you feel covers your costs and deserved earnings.

When I had siblings I charged 1/2 price for the second only because I knew some of my families simply could not afford $60 plus a day and I did not need the extra. What made the difference of some spending money for me made the difference of food for them type thing.
    Help my Kaitlyn reach her goal of selling 100 boxes of Chocolate Mint Girl Guide cookies. $5 each and we dliver. PM me

http://dawnfitzgerald.myepicure.com/
    But message me directly to order or book and I can get you a special LM deal

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    You charge what YOU feel comforatable with. I do not think anyone else really can tell you. I think it depends on your dynamic with the family and what you feel covers your costs and deserved earnings.

When I had siblings I charged 1/2 price for the second only because I knew some of my families simply could not afford $60 plus a day and I did not need the extra. What made the difference of some spending money for me made the difference of food for them type thing.
    This

Expert Forum User

I give my siblings(i do home child care) a break.

i pay $35 for DD2 and when DD1 goes (she's 6 - for PD days), i pay $60. A bit of a break, but i would pay $35 each if needed. I understand this is her business.

as a parent I would expect to pay the same. In all reality you would really be doing me a favour so I wouldnt even blink my eye to pay your full price

ETA: I use to do homecare and I didnt give sibling discounts. they don't use less amount of anything or require less work so I just didnt think that was fair to me
    Last edited by million$fam; 12-06-2012 at 05:13 PM.

Expert Forum User

I agree that you have to do what you are comfortable with. I do charge $5 less for school aged kids. Although they eat as much food or a little more and use the same crafts and such, I find the older kids are less work so I don't mind giving the parents a bit of a break.

Expert Forum User

I have one child in school every other day and one full time. I pay $30/day per child when they are at the sitters and $10 each for afterschool when they are there. So if it is a school day for both kids I will be paying my sitter $60 and my afterschool $20 - it is neither my afterschool providers or my babysitters fault the teachers are on strike and they will get paid what they should. Sucks for me though