Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default ETFO: Strike Action to Include Teachers Missing Class

AM980 News Talk Sports ETFO: Strike Action to Include Teachers Missing Class Local News

Ontario's education system could be thrown into complete chaos next week.

Public Elementary School Teachers in London, and across Ontario, are planning to ramp up strike action to protest the governing Liberals controversial anti-strike law.

Parents will get 72-hour notices of strikes planned next month, which will affect operations in each public elementary school throughout the province, the Elementary Teachers' Federation of Ontario said Wednesday. A union spokeswoman confirmed that the strikes would include teachers not being in class but would not provide further details.

``It is unfortunate that we have been placed in the position of having to strike by Education Minister Laurel Broten, but we will provide parents with ample notice to ensure the safety of students,'' ETFO president Sam Hammond said in a statement.

``By her actions, the minister has let everyone down by stripping teachers and education professionals of their democratic rights, and shutting down recent talks at the provincial level.''

The Thames Valley District School Board says they're looking at all options, and trying to keep parents informed.

"Safety of students is our first priority, in terms of any decisions made," said TVDSB Director of Education Bill Tucker. "If that can't be acheived, we'll probably have to take a look at school closure."

"Lockout is a very last resort," he added. "There's no denying it's a tool school boards can use, but from my perspective I prefer to keep kids in class and teachers at work."

But Broten and Premier Dalton McGuinty are defending the unpopular legislation, which also freezes the wages of most teachers and cuts their benefits. McGuinty insists the legislation is needed, even though it appears to be preventing some teachers from accepting new contracts.

The legislation, also known as Bill 115, does take away a teacher's right to strike - but only if the Education Minister decides to issue an order in council. It also does not take effect until Dec.31st.

The federation represents 76,000 elementary public school teachers in Ontario.

Back on November 18th, the Thames Valley District school board reached a tentative deal with the union representing public high school teachers, averting strike action.

It's been approved by the Ministry of Education, and the TVDSB.

High school teachers have scheduled a ratification vote for Dec. 5th.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

While it may be an unpopular view, I think they should walk out. Little progress(none) has been accomplished so far, maybe if they go on a full strike this will be settled faster.
    Cole is 8 years old! January, 2005
    Nate is 5 years old! January, 2008
    Judah is 2 years old! October, 2010
    Avery Grace born & passed Feb 4, 2007.

"Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?"
    Anita Diamant (The Red Tent)

AH! I am all for them having more rights, and getting more respect but GAH!!! I have exams to write for a week mid December! :S
    Hopefully the government sees how seriously this is effect not only the teachers but the children and will some how amend things.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol View Post
    While it may be an unpopular view, I think they should walk out. Little progress(none) has been accomplished so far, maybe if they go on a full strike this will be settled faster.
    Agreed!

Other unions still have their right to strike, ETFO should also.

Expert Forum User

I feel the same way as you, Carol.

Formerly Jacksmommy
    Becky ~ Mom to two busy boys, Jack & Ben

~Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind~
    ~Dr. Seuss~

Expert Forum User

I agree.

Me too. The whole thing is ridiculous.

Is it all elementary school? Public and catholic boards?

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by AuntPetunia View Post
    Is it all elementary school? Public and catholic boards?
    As far as I know, Catholic elementary settled. The press release is public only. There hasn't been any job action at our school; all sports, clubs, parent teacher interviews, school events etc have been normal. We are with the Catholic board.
    Last edited by Pomegranate; 11-29-2012 at 08:51 AM. Reason: SPELLING

ya i believe its just public.
    jennifer mommy to 4 amazing kids!

I agree!

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Well, I think we all agree with Carol. Rep for you!
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

Expert Forum User

I really hate how the government is pulling the “protect the kids from the strike“ crap. What a bunch of BS. We would be hugely inconvenienced by strike action, but I strongly disapprove of this tactic to turn us against the teachers legal right to strike.
    Wife to Doug and Mother of
    Alex, Nick, Hanna, Mya, Madeline and twin sweethearts, Isabelle and Abigail
    Sewing Mei Tais for Canadian Mamas

I'm surprised it may be happening soon, but all things considred, I am 100% behind the teachers.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Michelleshere View Post
    I really hate how the government is pulling the “protect the kids from the strike“ crap. What a bunch of BS. We would be hugely inconvenienced by strike action, but I strongly disapprove of this tactic to turn us against the teachers legal right to strike.
    ITA

Formerly Jacksmommy
    Becky ~ Mom to two busy boys, Jack & Ben

~Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind~
    ~Dr. Seuss~

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast