Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Is Kinect for xbox any good?

I personally find the whole motion thing on the Wii kinda sucks. It's rather hit and miss if it's accurate. Wondered if Kinect is any good? From how it describes it I would think that movement in the same room would distract it or confuse it? Or other sounds?
    Just wondering if they need like a room with no other sounds etc or can it be used mid playroom, with baby toddling b y in the backdrop, babbling away...
    dh wants the stupid xbox and IF I can afford to surprise him I really don't see the appeal. (But then again there are no games on it I like, where as there are for ps3...and HIS game he wants is on ps3.)

I got so many good deals so far shopping that I have saved enough I could probably surprise him with one. Just so worried I'll drop that much cash on something not worth it.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

We have the Kinect and its fun. If you have it positioned right things don't interfere. You have to stand for few seconds before it acknowledges you, so you can move around or sit behind the person playing. It does require quite a bit of space to play though. The sports games are fun for it!
    DS born December 17, 2011

kinect is awesome, it's really accurate, and works really well. if there's people running through the view, it can get a bit confused, but it's a lot better than I expected.

since you mentioned ps3 too though, lol, the move system for it is also really good. go with either one, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

the benefit to the kinect obviously is that you don't need a controller at all which is pretty cool.
    where does the time go?
    mom to DS (11) and DD (7)

Expert Forum User

It can get confused if there is other movement in the “playing area“.

It is so much fun, I've never tried a Wii so have no comparison. We have a game that came with the Kinect (Adventures) and it's big movements; like jumping, waving arms, running...good workout. From what I've seen of the Wii running is moving your hands, which doesn't look as much fun or energetic.

We unconnected the Kinectic when not is use, I think it's annoying when it's on and it kind of creeps me out, like someone's watching me...lol.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.~Michael Pollan, author of In Defense of Food
    If we want to move towards a low-polluting, sustainable society, we need to get consumers to think about their purchases-David Suzuki
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world"- Mahatma Gandhi

One thing that's neat about it is that it will recognize people if they come up beside you. So if I were signed in and my husband came up to play a game with me, it would know who he is. I didn't have problems with interference in the games I was playing, but it's been awhile since I've used it.
    Mom to a sweet baby boy, born August 6, 2012.

great reviews because we just bought one for the “kids“ for christmas!!!!

Expert Forum User

We love ours but if you have a small livingroom like me it is hard to play You have to be a few feet from the sensor and in our tiny house we have to move the tv sideways to do this but it is a lot of fun! It is much better then the Wii IMO (I have both)

Expert Forum User

we have wii, ps move, and kinect..far and away the kinect is better for movement recognition. my 8 yr old plays it the most.

M2M
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I was considering playstation move for the boys

Expert Forum User

my 8 yr old and 12 yr old (ok and me too) find the move rather frustrating..especially with the eyepet games.