Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default After the 5-PT carseat..?

DD1 is almost 7 and still in her Nautalis 5pt carseat. She's just about 41-42lbs, but she seems to be outgrowing it. It goes to 52" and she's only 49" but her head is passing the top??

What comes next for her? What's the diff btw high back and no back booster? What booster is the best and where do I buy it?

Expert Forum User

I believe that a FF seat is still safe as long as the seat shell is not below her ears?

IMO, the high back booster positions the shoulder belt better, and provides more head support should the rider fall asleep. It can convert to a no-back booster as well.

04/05/12 & 28/09/12 - Mama loves you, Babies.

Expert Forum User

Head is okay past that top. It is outgrown when a stated height is passed, the tips of the ears are over the top, the weight limit is height or the shoulders are above the highest slot.

She's in a Nautilus? Are you on the highest slot (I'm assuming based on her height).

If she's out of a Nautilus by torso and you want to keep her in a high back you'll need to get a taller high back booster -- one is fairly high booster guides. No point getting a Graco Turbobooster or something similar since the top position is ~19“, only an inch higher then the Nautilus.

The Britax and Diono Boosters are tall (but a little pricy). As is the Cosco Pronto (I just don't personally like it that much). The Clek Obor is also tall (but very $$).

Expert Forum User

Can you post a picture? (you can blur out her face)

She is at the straps highest slot. I didn't know that about the top of the carseat! Good to know, I assumed it was the same as with other carseats that we've had that said we had to upgrade when they were an inch from the top. Or am I thinking rear facing? I'm going to check the strap placement tomorrow to see if it's still above her shoulders. She doesn't mind being in the 5pt, there's no problem keeping her in it if she's safe. She's just such a light weight.

We kept dd in her 5pt harness until a few months before she turned 8, and then she went into this booster. It comes in pink and purple too...we have pink

Diono Monterey - Canada's Baby Store

Quote Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
    We kept dd in her 5pt harness until a few months before she turned 8, and then she went into this booster. It comes in pink and purple too...we have pink

Diono Monterey - Canada's Baby Store
    I thought once kids hit 8 they didn't sit in boosters anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    They don't have to be by law once they are 8, but if they are not tall enough for the seatbelt to sit properly where it's supposed to, then they are safer in a booster.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    Legally, they are not required too. Kids should ride in a booster until they pass the 5 step test which typically happens sometime between 10-12.

The 5-Step Test

Quote Originally Posted by a_bun_in_the_oven View Post
    Thank you for posting this!

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

DD1 is still sitting in her carseat using a regular seat belt - is that what you mean?

Her head is a bit over the top, but I like it for the seatbelt positioning. Without the seat belt hook it looks like her throat would be crushed by the belt in an accident.
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

No, my DD1 uses the 5pt still, not the seat belt. Same as the other two.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

She would be fine without the 5pt IMO. We use the seat but the straps are just hanging there (as a threat for long car ride so she's less mobile ).

5pt straps at the highest level were are way below DD1's shoulders. I think they're a bit below DD2's shoulders too right now, not sure what I'm going to do there.
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by ChinUp View Post
    She would be fine without the 5pt IMO. We use the seat but the straps are just hanging there (as a threat for long car ride so she's less mobile ).

5pt straps at the highest level were are way below DD1's shoulders. I think they're a bit below DD2's shoulders too right now, not sure what I'm going to do there.
    Hrm... Do you actually want your DD2 to still be harnessed? If so the one seat that has significantly higher slots the then Graco Nautilus would be the Britax Frontier (which also makes the tallest booster too).

BTW -- if you aren't using the harness (which it doesn't sound like you can for your oldest at least), you should remove it.... I'd toss it in the glove box as a “reminder“.

Quote Originally Posted by a_bun_in_the_oven View Post
    Legally, they are not required too. Kids should ride in a booster until they pass the 5 step test which typically happens sometime between 10-12.

The 5-Step Test
    Great info! Thanks!