Thread: Booster info

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Booster info

So ds is 7.5 and 65lbs, my understanding is they can be out of a booster at either 80lbs or 8 years old. I can understand the weight reasoning but why the age? Can he stay in a booster over eight? Is it safer? He's 52" tall currently and it'll be a while before he's 80lbs but he's a little over 6 months from hitting the 8 year old mark and I'm wondering why then he's suddenly ok to be just in the seat?
    Mommy to three adorable kids!

Expert Forum User

It's an American page, but good info nonetheless.

http://www.carseat.org/Boosters/630.pdf

Check your booster's manual for an upper weight restriction.

04/05/12 & 28/09/12 - Mama loves you, Babies.

Expert Forum User

The provincial law is really just the minimum standard. And before 2005 we didn't even have a booster law... provincial law doesn't always keep up with best practice.

Older kids should be in boosters until they pass the 5 step test - this normally happens between 10-12 year old..

Based on his size, it would be safer for him to ride in a booster beyond his 8th birthday. My niece is 6 and roughly the same size. She definitely still needs a booster.

I really like the pictures on this web page as it illustrates proper and improper belt fit on old kids.

The 5-Step Test

Thanks!! I figured he should stay in the booster and wasn't going to take him out, I just wanted to fend off any “helpful“ tips from family members!!
    Mommy to three adorable kids!

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by aidensmom View Post
    any “helpful“ tips from family members!!
    Gotta love the helpful family members! My mom started nattering the other day about turning my 2 yo dd forward-facing..... GAH!

Expert Forum User

I would have loved to keep my 8 year old in a booster longer since he is just 60 pounds. But he had heard from others that you don't have to be in one once you're 8 and literally threw the seat out the of van on his 8th birthday. I'm not going to get into an argument with him every time we get in the van and add more stress to my life so we just explained to him the importance of wearing the seatbelt and sitting properly while in the van and he's been good about all that.
    Jodie
    Mom to 3 boys (9, 7 and 4) &
    our little girl (born Dec 2013)
    www.brightmindschildcare.ca
    www.jodie.lovablelabels.ca

Wink

Here is a The 5-Step Test car seat you can try: britax frontier 85, adjustable for 10 different heights, I bought it last week, you can check the review, but it can only be used for 2-4 years age baby.
    Last edited by robertcorliss; 05-01-2013 at 03:11 PM.

Expert Forum User

My DS is 8 and DOES not sit in a booster, cause as long as they can seat with bum back agaisnt the seat and feet touch firmly on floor they DONT need a booster. My 8 yr old (just turned 8) is only 54lbs, BUT is tall for his age.

My son will be 10 next week and he still sits in a booster. He weighs 100 pounds now. He has the option now and still asks for his seat. If he had his way he would still be in a high back booster for longer trips. He's a car sleeper and loves the head support. My teenagers stayed in their boosters until they were around 10 too. They never complained.
    Chris Eh Young
    Speaker, Strategist, Simplifier
    www.B2Cy.com

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
    I would have loved to keep my 8 year old in a booster longer since he is just 60 pounds. But he had heard from others that you don't have to be in one once you're 8 and literally threw the seat out the of van on his 8th birthday. I'm not going to get into an argument with him every time we get in the van and add more stress to my life so we just explained to him the importance of wearing the seatbelt and sitting properly while in the van and he's been good about all that.
    Ditto. Mine actually counted down the days until she didn't have to use her seat anymore, then her and her BFF carried the seat to the side of the road on garbage day....

Mine is 8.5 and we stopped using the booster last month. I found it can vary from car to car too. He fit in the van according to the 5 step test before he did my car.
    Cole is 8 years old! January, 2005
    Nate is 5 years old! January, 2008
    Judah is 2 years old! October, 2010
    Avery Grace born & passed Feb 4, 2007.

"Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?"
    Anita Diamant (The Red Tent)