Thread: Vent!

Default Vent!

So last night the kids told us that DSS will not be attending homework club. It was suggested by the school to help DSS who is 4 grades behind in reading and 3 in math and thier Mom decided against it. They are not in anything else for it to interfere so I just don`t get why you wouldn`t want your child to get extra help. Sorry for the vent I am just stewing on it this morning soo frustrating!

Expert Forum User

Why can't the Dad make arrangements for the child to attend? Does he have joint custody? It would be something as a parent that I would fight for. Would the extra help not be free?

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Have you asked her? I agree, why not suggest you's will arrange it and make sure he goes?

“life is not measured by the breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away“

She has sole custody right now. In mediation he agreed to give it to her for extra acess and she was on her best behaviour while in court now that its over its been hell. We have to get a roll on getting back to court. We have asked about tutors she denies asked about councilling she denies. She ignored us about spectrum activites so we signed them on on weekends and she refuses to bring them on her weekends........ Yes the help would be free and we only have them wed nights and every other weekend and she is difficult to deal with and gets kinda agressive and if she knows the kids told us she will take it out on them. So not sure how to deal with it aside from back to court we go!
    Last edited by Kylee; 10-25-2012 at 09:44 AM.

That doesn't even make sense? What parent would hold their child back from progressing, especially where they're behind? Geez.

I kind of get it. Two of my nieces had serious speech delays, and SIL said they would be fine and grow out of it, or something equally stupid, and didn't get them any help. The younger one is 8 now, and is still really behind. It frustrates me so much that they won't admit when help is needed. I think they were afraid of the stigma of them being “dumb“ when in actuality, the older one is really smart, and no one knew because she couldn't talk. Now I'm getting comments because my youngest is in therapy for speech delays. (It's not necessary. He'll eventually catch up. SIL never got help for her girls.) I just can't imagine not trying to get help for your kids when they need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chelle View Post
    . Two of my nieces had serious speech delays, and SIL said they would be fine and grow out of it, or something equally stupid, and didn't get them any help. .
    This is DSS 10 next month still has speech issues. Super behind and 10 guess what not caught up! This is what DH said her attitude was. I can't see why she can't swollow her pride and do right by her kid! Makes me sad and angry!

PMing you

Expert Forum User

Yeah, very sad but unfortunately also very common. I see it all the time in the school system (I am educational assistant), by brother and SIL are walking billboards for this behaviour(their 4yr old is like 1yr and 7yr old like 4yr) yet continue with their denial, poor parenting choices, and blaming the school to the point that there 7yr old already hated school, has been suspended a few times. My ex is selectively like this. If admitting to any delay/difficulty will benefit him then yes, he milks it for whatever sympathy he can get but as soon as any request, regardless of how insignificant, he will scream foul and accuse me of Munchausen Syndrome (uneducated him really means Munchausen by Proxy).

I am the first to reach out and advocate for help with my kids. No inclination of shame or denial. If you need help you get it... Simple as that and trust me, with the issues experienced with my two kids, I have tapped into just about everything you can think of: medical, therapeutic, psychiatric, educational, etc. You just do it for your kids... That is what makes a good parent. Unfortunately not everyone who procreates should be a parent.

It is unfortunate what your family must deal with. Suggestions: if mom is not on board can you and their father help support this child when in your home? I know it is not an ideal solution but you do what you can do, right?
    Last edited by Tanya-Mae; 10-28-2012 at 07:58 AM.