Expert Forum User

Default Sewing Elastic Help needed

I just finished making my own diaper and for the most part it turn out well, that is except for the elastic for the legs (a very important aspect I think), it doesn't go back after it was stretched and sewn. So I was wondering if those who have made their own diapers before could give me some assistance. How do you sewing your elastic so that it actually does the job? Thanks so much.
    DS#1 Dec 06
    DS#2 May 08
    DD#1 Oct 09
    DD#2 Dec 10

Hmm. Are you stretching it enough? I found I really had to pull to get a tight leg. Also, are you using cheap elastic (like that white stuff at Fabricland)? I get better results with a cotton woven elastic like this - http://www.verybaby.com/ccp0-prodsho...r-elastic.html

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I tac my elastic down with a quick stitch, make sure it's in its proper place, and pull as tightly and as hard as I can.

My elastic seems to always turn out now that I figured it out. Lol

Can you post a pic so we can see what the issue is?? Are you sewing it between the layers of diaper, or overtop??

girlsmum

Wink

I'll third what PP have said, make sure you use a good quality elastic and although you keep your dipe sides at a level tension, make sure your elastic is at a very stretched tension, tack it into place in about 3 or 4 spots with pins and hold tightly while running it through your machine.

Leigh's been doing dipes for a bit now, if you post a pic, she's become quite the expert, and although I haven't met PikaJen, I have seen her stash so a pic will help get even more help if needed. I'm planning to redo some dipes I've just gotten where the elastic's given way so I'll be sure to post if I'm not satisfied with my own job. I'm havin' fun with it, and I keep posting that you can never have enough dipes for twins,lol.

Yeah, but I bought all those diapers. I only made 18, and they are a mess. :P