Thread: Houses

Expert Forum User

Default Houses

We are planning to build a new home again on a larger lot in our neighbourhood in the next couple of years. I go back and forth on what style of house I want though. I absolutely will have in my next home:
    - mudroom off of the garage
    - either main floor or 2nd floor laundry
    - master en suite bathroom
    - larger recroom area for the kids
    - 2 car garage
    - large pantry in the kitchen

I love that in a side split, you get a really great, large recroom. Space for the kids to just play. You have the lowest level for storage or to finish it for a craft room/hobby room, and workout room if you choose. Plus the bedrooms are separated from the other areas of the house. (most of the time though, laundry is in the basement, and I would not want to continue carting laundry up and down like we do now). I drew my own floor plan, which is a combo of these two homes:
    http://www.hayhoehomes.com/images/mo...0(01Nov11).pdf
    and
    http://www.donwest.ca/floorplans/Lit...kside%20II.pdf

I love that in a 2 storey everything is separated. You can have main floor laundry or 2nd floor laundry (we have basement laundry now and that is my biggest pet peeve in life - hauling all the laundry up and down 2 flights of stairs every.single.time.). You can entertain on the main floor but the kids are upstairs in their rooms and not as bothered by the noise level.
    Right now I am loving this house http://www.hayhoehomes.com/images/mo...0(01Nov11).pdf

And one floor - obviously you don't HAVE to go up and down the stairs. You can have everything you need on the main floor and have the basement open for a recroom, storage, crafts, etc. The basement has a large footprint, too, so there are lots of possibilities. This would be good as I have really bad knees and worry about getting around as I get older. I would like to think our next home will be our final home. I like this one
    http://www.hayhoehomes.com/images/mo...0(01Nov11).pdf

What's your favourite style of house? What features are important to you in a house? What features do you love in your house and what do you think you'd change if you could do it over again?
    Last edited by ZooMama; 10-07-2012 at 08:59 AM.

Expert Forum User

I love, love, love my current house for the stage of life we are currently in. We have the Hayhoe Hudson model and it has a lot of features I *had* to have, such as a mudroom from the garage entrance (and a separate garage/front door entrance...in our last house, both doors opened to the same foyer and it drove me bananas!), a big walk in pantry, 2nd story laundry, etc, etc. I would have liked an extra bedroom upstairs as an office and would change the layout of this house to include that if we were building again. I would lose my open, 2 story foyer at the front door, but it would be worth it. While I love having a 2 story now, our next home will be a ranch/bungalow style, but that is years in the future! We will likely stay here until our kids are in highschool, at least.
    Happy planning! Glad you're staying in the 'hood when you build

Expert Forum User

Oh I didn't realize that was your model! Good to know you like it! I like second floor elevation B. We have no real reason for a 4th bedroom other than offering to have people stay over if they come from out of town. I guess we could have it as an office/library though with a daybed or something though. Our current lot is a postage stamp. The back fenceline is 30ft wide. There is absolutely no privacy either...and the builders built the house next to us incorrectly and instead of stepping down the grade like they were supposed to, they did the foundation 6“ higher than ours. So...we are also in a little valley because the house on the other side is 6“ higher (it's supposed to be) and then ours goes down and the next one goes up. Grrr. There were only 3 of us when we moved here and we have just outgrown our little house. But yes, we love this neighbourhood... we want a larger lot with some privacy in the backyard. (my goal is to talk DH into an inground pool someday )

Expert Forum User

Find room for a deep freeze on your first floor. We have an upright in our mainfloor laundry.we had to sacrifice a closet for it but so worth it. Our fridge freezer is useless.
    I'm all over two stories. Mostly for the noise separation. We keep a baby monitor on to keep an ear on the kids playing upstairs.
    Have fun.

I have a true appreciatin for any style of home 'done right.' But if I had to choose right now, I'd choose an executive sized Raised Ranch with Loft.

Expert Forum User

We have a Saratoga Heathcote. Heathcote | Saratoga Homes

There are a few things I wish were different now.

1. We should have finished above the living and dining room. Way easier to do in the building stage then after the fact.

2. We should have bumped the bathrooms upstairs out -- even 2 feet would have been nice -- there's plenty of space to bump out and it wouldn't have effected the roof line.

3. We should have bumped out the whole back wall a few feet, even 2 feet would have been nice for a bit of a larger kitchen -- compared to homes in our area/price range our kitchen seems subpar.

The main floor is pretty closed off, unlike most homes out there now. We've never had an open floor plan. I'm not sure if we'd like it or not. I enjoy the closed floor plan. I actually would love to get some pocket doors for the family room to close it off when DH is watching football, etc.

I absolutely adore having a den. I'm in it right now.... I live here. I would never get a house without one now.

Oh, and the angled closets, etc are a PITA. The main floor bathroom is just strange (especially with 10ft ceilings).

We do have a huge lot (for the city), which I love -- though we are getting a fence next week and the cost is well into the 5 figure range.

Expert Forum User

Once the kids are leaving home (or at least in there teens). DH would love to move to the country, and get a very large sprawling ranch.

We built this house The Wyndham Model | Wastell Builders Group

We modified a few things on the plan though. We changed up the kitchen so that we could have a corner /walkin pantry is but we had to push back the wall into the dining room so the dining room got smaller. We also put a bump out in the dining room for the hutch. The other major change was we eliminated the two story family room and put in a 5th bedroom with a large walkin closet (it is bigger than the master closet). I really like our house, the only things that I would do next time would be to not have a formal living room (we don't use it) and make a larger mudroom and/ or separate laundry area. I also like power rooms that have the toilet and sink side by side versus opposite each other. The room just feels narrow and confined.

Our upstairs hallway is awesome, it is large and open, you don't get a hallway feeling at all, it feels more like a room than anything. It is kind of pointless space but the feel of it is totally worth it. The bedrooms are all a pretty good size, our master got a bit wider because we decided to add the 5th bedroom beside us so I think we got an additional 2 feet or so. The other thing that I would change is to make the shower bigger, I find it is too small but still bigger than a standard 36 x 36 shower. Finally, my dream is always a bigger kitchen and more open concept. I feel that the rooms are all still fairly broken up so I would want a more open space in my next place. We have 9 foot ceilings and love that, never going back to 8 foot ever again.

Oh and the turn in the stairs to the basement is a huge pain in the butt. I like the fact that there is a transition but trying to carry large things down the stairs makes it a real challenge. The turn upstairs is ok because it is open around it but the basement turn is a huge problem.

double post
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 10-07-2012 at 11:33 AM.

Sounds wonderful! When you buy your brick go to Grand River Brick and Stone at Exeter and Wharncliffe; ask for Larry and tell him that his sister recommended him.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

We are in our 3rd house, which is a 4 level backsplit. Our 1st house was a bungalow, 2nd house a 2 story. Personally, I wish we were in a bungalow/ranch style home right about now! With the amount of pain I am in (and DH these days too it seems) that style of house would be the best for us, especially long term as we get even older.
    This style of house is nice that there is that seperation from room to room but is NOT ideal for anyone with mobility or pain issues. I was not in this amount of pain when we bought this house over 5 years ago
    Also with a bungalow/ranch style home, you normally get a very large basement (and that is something we don't have in this house & miss!).

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by a_bun_in_the_oven View Post
    Once the kids are leaving home (or at least in there teens). DH would love to move to the country, and get a very large sprawling ranch.
    This is what my parents own (and in the country @ that) & are looking @ selling in the near future. It's getting to be too big for them to maintain, etc. It's great for a younger family however. They actually had a total stranger put a note in their mailbox just the other day informing them that they are very interested in their house & would they consider selling it. They are very seriously contemplating this one!