Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: French School

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Default French School

Wondering if any non french parents are sending their kids to French Immersion? Wondering how you like it and if you can keep up with your kids work?

I realize I have a few years to think about this, but if we do go this route will consider a French daycare in the next year or two...
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

Expert Forum User

within walking distance of downtown but a good part

my parents had family or friends that spoke french and they helped me... or even see if there is an older student in highschools that would help

I sell AVON I sell SCENTSY JOIN THE PARTY!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

We are sending our 4 (will be almost 5 when he starts) to French Immersion SK this coming Sept. I took French throughout high-school but have forgotten a lot over the years lol! (I graduated high-scool back in 1991). My husband never had to take any french in elementary or high-school (he is almost 39 and lived way up north, so not sure if it was an age thing or just where he lived? as to the reason for this). Neither of us know all that much French, so we may have to hire a tutor for him down he road if the going gets tough in terms of home work and assignments. I also have a friend who teaches french, so perhaps she can help at times and my SIL's 4 children all go to a French Immersion school (neither her or her husband knew much French when he kids started) and her kids are doing fairly well in that system. They didn't know one word of french when they first started either.
    Hoping all goes well with my son in the fall. He will also be riding a school bus for the first time ever! I am willing to bet both him and I will have a panic attack on his first day of school! This will be his first time in school. We chose not to send him to JK this year.
    More and more families are deciding to send their children to the FI system. I think it has many advantages for the children (ie: for future jobs, for travel reasons, just the experience of being able to speak another language, etc).
    Good luck with your decision!

Both my sister and I were in French Immersion and neither of our parents speak/spoke French. My mom helped us a lot with our homework especially later on as much as she could. She said it wasn't really that bad because she learned a lot of it with us as we brought stuff home, like music, vocabulary etc. She couldn't come up with a really good sentence or anything, but she could help quiz us for tests and can get the gist of what people are saying.
    I wouldn't let it stop you from sending your kids to FI just because you don't speak french yourself. It's a great opportunity for the future.

Expert Forum User

My girls are going to French immersion. We went to an information evening and the teachers said that its for kids who have no french background...(or parents with frech background). I took it all they way up to OAC so I know some, but feel comfortable with my kids attending.

Expert Forum User

I also went to the info night. My kids will also be attending FI- DD this fall.
    Immersion is for the kids whose parents do not speak french....the analogy we were given was that parents don't need to speak french for the kids to attend,it is for the kids to learn...just because you don't play piano doesn't mean you would not send your kid for piano lessons.
    Last edited by Sleepless in London; 04-03-2008 at 10:21 PM.

My daughter attends FI and my husband and I took it throughout highschool(many years ago) I find it easy right now, we bought a good french/english dictionary. At times homework can be challenging but so far we have been okay. (She's only in grade one) We put her into FI for the challenge. She could already read when she started school and is quite advanced so we wanted her to be challenged and not bored at school. I love the school she attends and to be honest, if they change the school to english only, I would not move her. Yes, learning a second language is wonderful for children and I wish they would bring other languages into the school system. Good luck with your decision. What FI would your child be attending??

Quote Originally Posted by mackenzie&averys-mum View Post
    My girls are going to French immersion. We went to an information evening and the teachers said that its for kids who have no french background...(or parents with frech background). I took it all they way up to OAC so I know some, but feel comfortable with my kids attending.
    m&a-mum is correct........FI is specifically for those that don't have any french background. I have been to many info sessions at numerous schools and most parents that were there also did not speak french either. The teachers did say however if it looks like your child is struggling too much with the language difference then they will let you know and if required suggest that you take them out of FI. I wouldn't worry too much, children absorb information so readily that it amazes me to this day.

My father for instance can speak three languages fluently......one is italian.......the other is english......and the other is german. German???......well when he started school there were only two children that couldn't speak english, him and another little German boy. They became friends and through their friendship they learned eachother's native tongues. Still amazes me to this day.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. ~MLK Jr.

Expert Forum User

within walking distance of downtown but a good part

i went from SK - grade 12 in french immersion and DS will be doing the same... lol i make more then DF cause i speak french .. it is a great opportunity and it will help them in the future.. depending on what school your kids will be going to i can highly recommend Princess Anne .. alot of my teachers are still there and they are always willing to help at recess and lunch also after and before school . so dont worry there is plenty of help

I sell AVON I sell SCENTSY JOIN THE PARTY!

Expert Forum User

I will be sending my son as well next year to French Immersion SK. I hope to take a couple courses at the unversity to learn more french as I only know the basics that I was taught in school over 10 years ago! The internet has many translating tools as well to help us non french speaking parents. ie babble translator!
    Mom to DS - 9.5 years old
    AND

Good point - you give you kids piano lessons even if you don't play piano. lol

The one we were thinking of sending her to is the one on Springbank...Kensall Park? I forget. I think it's the closest to where we live - Wharncliffe and Southdale.

I know having French is a huge asset. Wish I'd paid more attention in high school... I worked years ago someplace with a friend and she made more than me an hour cause she had French even though I don't think she ever used it. And I've seen a number of jobs online that all prefer French or a second language.

And true - kids are resilient. My DH lived in Germany for a few years as a kid only speaking English going to an English school, but his two best friends were Russian and German. No idea how the three of them managed to communicate or decide on an activity since each only spoke their language...but I guess they managed. Maybe as an adult (who doesn't get out much) language seems like more of a barrier than it really is...
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Colleen:
    I am not sure where the cut off line is for your kids attending Kensel Park but I can tell you I live not very far from Southdale and Wharncliffe myself and I called the School Board and my 4 year old son has to go to Princess Elizabeth for French Immersion this fall. They just added the FI in at that school this past fall...he we will be bussed to and from school. You may want to call TVDSB just to confirm the school he will have to go to because the boundaries in my area (White Oaks) were changed just this past year. Princess Elizabeth is slowly adding in a new grade for FI each year. For instance this coming Sept there will be at least 1, if not 2 SK FI classes, a grade 1, a grade 7 and a grade 8 FI class as well. The following year (2009) in Sept, they will add in grade 2 FI, etc...until all of the grades for FI system have been incorporated into their school. They chose this particular school due to the size of it and the fact they don't have many students enrolled in it, so many of the classrooms were sitting empty. there was a threat of it being closed down and in order to save it, they chose to add the FI system into it. There are also regular English classes grades JK-grade 8 at this school as well. I went on a tour of it recently when I went to the info night to find out more about the FI program for my son and it is huge! There are even 2 gyms in it.
    Last edited by 2boysmom; 04-04-2008 at 01:00 PM.

girlsmum

My teen was lucky when she entered french immersion when we moved to London, I actually DO speak french and english equally as well, I spoke french first until age 5, then learned english. The entry grades are SK, 1 and 7, OR at the discretion the principal of the school if the child is deemed that they have a proper apprehension of the french language to enter at another grade level. I would have put Vicky in upon moving to London even if it wasn't grade 7 since she's been around french her whole life, it just turned out that we moved to London for her to go into Princess Anne, just down the street from where we used to live. And I can tell you that Vicky is determined to receive her certificate after grade 12 deeming her bilingual so that she can be more employable.

I give HUGE kudos to parents who do give their children this extra opporunity to learn french, not b/c I'm a bit biased, but b/c the job market today is so demanding that big companies still prefer bilingual employees and they do earn a higher wage. My DH has applied to the Armed Forces and is awaiting approval, and during his interview when he talked family and the recuitment officer found out I spoke french from birth, the guy asked if I'd be interested in joining as well. But I am a SAHM, we can't both be in so I'm stepping down for the opp.

Anyway, long post Colleen(love your name, one of my twins' names) but you are right, ppl with english and french get better jobs and earn more money!!!

Hmmmm, thanks for your reply 2boysmom...maybe a bit of background. My Mom is a retired teacher and she's not a fan of the FI system. I think it would be a benefit to my kid and figured can't hurt to ask around. I've spoken to a few people not - not including here - who went through the FI system and no one has had anything negative to say about it.

Our boundries right now are for White Oaks Public School - and I'd prefer my kid not go there. My Mom taught mostly in White Oaks area for 30+ years and after hearing her stories of some of what she dealt with...well, it wasn't a barrel of laughs. She taught at PE for some of those years and I think she'd have a cow if I sent my kid there. Regardless, it is my decision and if they're bringing in FI I'll definately check it out. I have a few years to go anyway... PE is a huge school...would be interesting to have a school half english and half FI.

Expert Forum User

Kensal park boundries are the river the west side of wharncliffe rd and it includes lambeth, byron and the new subdivision being built off of whiteoaks road (behind bad boy furniture).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast