M2M
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default He eats a huge amount

This baby of mine eats 6 oz every 45 minutes. Which of course is too much, so he throws up. But he is ALWAYS searching for a nipple, and always takes food if offered. This was mentioned to his pediatrician but she said to demand feed, which is fine, but I feel like all I do is feed him, and when he isnt eating hes miserable (hes on gas medication, which has eliminated majority of the gas problem)

What can I do?

(we've gone through almost 5 cans of formula in 3 weeks)

Expert Forum User

I am surprised she said to demand feed a newborn that much formula. I didn't breast feed and was given a chart of the amount of formula you were supposed to give max every day because their stomaches are only so big. I had big babies (9lb+). Mine never took a soother. Will he?

M2M

He does take a soother, but once he realizes nothing is coming out of it he cries. a lot.

Expert Forum User

Does he maybe have a reflux problem? Newborn boys, especially if they are early, are prone to problems with the valve in their stomach and get reflux as a result. My DD had reflux and sounds similar in that she was always looking for more to eat and would just keep drinking as long as you would give her more. She had massive projectile vomitting .. Continuously... And then of course would be hungry because she had just thrown everything up.

He's also 3 weeks- which is prime time growth spurt.

Which would explain why he wants to eat around the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by ZooMama View Post
    Does he maybe have a reflux problem? Newborn boys, especially if they are early, are prone to problems with the valve in their stomach and get reflux as a result. My DD had reflux and sounds similar in that she was always looking for more to eat and would just keep drinking as long as you would give her more. She had massive projectile vomitting .. Continuously... And then of course would be hungry because she had just thrown everything up.
    This. My DD was like this. She had lots of gas trouble and reflux, and she would eat until she threw up all the time. I was breastfeeding her, and I'd have to time her, so that I didn't feed her too much. Whenever I lost track of time, and let her eat too long, she would vomit. My pediatrician wasn't much help at the time either. I couldn't figure it out. She had upset stomachs all the time, and used to spit up and vomit sooo much.

M2M

He throws up almost every feeding, its rare that he doesnt. Which has lead to lots of baths and laundry.

I don't want to mention it, but there's always a possibility that its pyloric stenosis too.

Pyloric stenosis - PubMed Health

M2M

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    I don't want to mention it, but there's always a possibility that its pyloric stenosis too.

Thankfully since its non projectile, and just large amounts, Dr Kloth said that it was unlikely, especially since he is putting on weight.

side note, SO had that as a baby.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I was wondering reflux too. My oldest had it. my doc said babies will appear hungry and want to eat even if they have a tummy ache. They don't know any better so they just eat even though they end up throwing it back up.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Expert Forum User

When I was pg with DS, I had the worst heartburn/reflux. I wanted to wash it down with something all the time, and the pediatrician said that's what babies do too - so they overeat trying to make the discomfort go away and then they end up vomitting. DD gained weight so fast - she was always eating!! they didn't believe that she was vomitting as much as she was. Oh, and if you talk to a doctor about it, I would not mention the laundry/baths issue because when I did that, they said mainly it was a “laundry problem“ and we got blown off.

M2M

Quote Originally Posted by ZooMama View Post
    When I was pg with DS, I had the worst heartburn/reflux. I wanted to wash it down with something all the time, and the pediatrician said that's what babies do too - so they overeat trying to make the discomfort go away and then they end up vomitting. DD gained weight so fast - she was always eating!! they didn't believe that she was vomitting as much as she was. Oh, and if you talk to a doctor about it, I would not mention the laundry/baths issue because when I did that, they said mainly it was a “laundry problem“ and we got blown off.
    Makes total sense, because he is putting on weight really fast (in my opinion) in 7 days he put on 1 pound 3 ounces.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post

I was going to say this too. My great nephew has this, had to have surgery. He was gaining weight and didn't projectile vomit until he was completely blocked. I would ask for an ultrasound on his tummy, then they will know for sure.

Good luck.