Default what do I need to know about homeschooling?

alot of my friends have sent their kids off to kindergarten and it's got me thinking since DS is 3.

What do I need to know? what are the laws in Ontario regarding homeschooling?

if you have any good resources please share.

is there a 'homeschooling' group in london?
    Why yes I'm a Doula! (in training) come check out my Facebook for more info!. Or PM me!
    https://www.facebook.com/greatexpectationsdoula

here is my doulamatch profile: http://doulamatch.net/profile/6878/kate-williamson

Expert Forum User

Homeschooling group that I know about in london is called “a different drum“. I think there are a couple others as well.

It is completely legal to homeschool in ontario and as far as I am aware how you school or unschool is up to you. If you are not planning on sending him to school at all, I would not bother registering with any school.
    The Ontario Federation of Teaching Parents - has some good material.

I don't really think you need anything else. At 3/4 years old, they mostly learn through play so purchasing an organized curriculum would be wasted. Becoming familiar with the alphabet, numbers, and really basic stuff is really all you need.

For the later years, you might want to decide what type of materials you want to use - are you going to unschool? Do you think one type of teaching philosophy is better (waldorf, montessori, classical)? Do you want to make up your own schedule and curriculum or do you want boxed? These questions may seem daunting but you literally have a couple years to think about them.

Expert Forum User

2x
    Last edited by WateryTart; 09-25-2012 at 12:21 PM.

what WT said.
    Don't waste time purchasing stuff. Play is the most important thing they need at that age. Spend time with your child and see how he learns. The beauty of homeschooling is that it's his education..not yours (although you'll learn new things as a result) so you can adapt whatever you do to fit his needs. Spend time educating yourself about homeschooling and the different methods.
    Don't compare what your child is/isn't doing to what his school aged peers are doing.
    Calvin: People think it must be fun to be a super genius but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world.

Hobbes: Isn't your zipper suppose to be in the front of your pants?

Some people send in a Letter of Intent because it is suggested but that is all it says about that. It is suggested. A lot of people who have never had their child in school don't send it in. If they are taken out of school it is sent in. Your child doesn't have to be in school legally until the age of 6.
    At 3? Have fun and read with them a lot.