Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I couldn't agree more with the sentiment of this thread. Being married to a teacher and having children in the public board...I feel like I'm being hit from all angles.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

correct me if I'm wrong but I believe those 20 sick days were also used as short term disability. Teachers don't have short term and don't most jobs that have benefits include short term disability?
    Cole is 8 years old! January, 2005
    Nate is 5 years old! January, 2008
    Judah is 2 years old! October, 2010
    Avery Grace born & passed Feb 4, 2007.

"Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?"
    Anita Diamant (The Red Tent)

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by Carol View Post
    correct me if I'm wrong but I believe those 20 sick days were also used as short term disability. Teachers don't have short term and don't most jobs that have benefits include short term disability?
    Yes! You are absolutely correct.
    Help my Kaitlyn reach her goal of selling 100 boxes of Chocolate Mint Girl Guide cookies. $5 each and we dliver. PM me

http://dawnfitzgerald.myepicure.com/
    But message me directly to order or book and I can get you a special LM deal

I agree what is the point of having a union when you have no right to strike? My Dh being a fed gov't worker for the past 19+ years lost his right to strike a while ago too and he is furious about it, so I feel for all the teachers as well. he hasn't lost his sick time YET, key word being YET. He will be having to take his severance payout sometime in the near future soon because they are doing away with that too. I hate the ways things are going in this day & age for many professions.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Carol View Post
    Yes, for the teachers and no for most jobs with benefits. Some do, some don't. Mine does, DHs doesn't. Some companies have long term with a 17 week waiting period, which is equivalent to max EI sick pay (including the 2 week wait). So, the company expects employees to apply for EI sick pay if they can qualify. They have 5 paid sick days a year, but no STD.

I agree with the overall sentiment of this thread. Downward spiraling of benefits doesn't help any of us. A reasonable cap on sick day carryover (or an insured STD plan) could have solved some of this. I am in no way pro union, but I do see why unions are needed in some instances. I also believe in democracy and negotiation. I really feel for teachers, this is a no win situation.
    Last edited by Pomegranate; 09-12-2012 at 02:26 PM.

Expert Forum User

come out and support teachers and all in education on Friday at 4pm at Chris Bentley's office. If you need information for location, please contact me and I'll let you know. More support from the public the better.

Our board had its strike vote tonight....which at this point is only symbolic. We voted 98% in favor of strike.

Did you know that Dalton's salary is over $250 000/year (plus perks and expenses of course) and that he is eligible for 150% of his salary upon “retirement“? And that most MPs make similar? When are they taking a wage cap/pay cut/wage freeze?
    "Anything is better than lies and deceit". Leo Tolstoy

The football teams at J's school held practices today without teachers.....I think it's only the beginning and sadly, the students will be the ones suffering.

Quote Originally Posted by melissawilliam View Post
    See, I think they KNEW EXACTLY what they were doing. The public is now all fired up that those horrible teachers DARED to get 20 sick days a year and the whole summer off for vacation. Now that the public has agreed that 20 sick days is WAY too much they can point at all the other government employees and say: guess how many sick days they get??? And instead of everyone getting more sick days to promote the whole “stay home if you are sick“ policy, they can take away everyone's sick days.

DS2's dad was saying he thinks police get 30 sick days and about as many vacation days (he's in police college but not sure if this is accurate at all). He also thinks they can save all vacation and sick days and use to retire extra early and keep getting paithem d for a long time, and that the public will never agree to these things being taken away because police are important to society operating...unlike teachers who aren't really needed (which seems to be society's viewpoint).
    This is also a job that only needs grade 12, although most have 2 years college.

Health Unit nurses also have equivalent sick/vacation days that have been pointed out to be way too high. When they start to take from other groups they have set the stage perfectly
    Let the downward spiral begin!!!
    I totally agree with you on the teaching stuff. The police stuff is totally inaccurate.
    "Anything is better than lies and deceit". Leo Tolstoy

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Yep, dd1 was practically in tears when we told her that cross country may not run this year she was so angry spouting off how they are alway pushing physical activity etc.. To stay healthy
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I see the students getting caught in the middle and sufering and it makes me sad. However from what I ghave herd it is only ONE day a week the techers are backing out on .. as a whole. I truely feel that if we supported them in that we would see greater teacher morale and greater willingness to be out there still.

I also believe that it is society as a whole who are the biggest losers here. Many of my teacher frineds have lost things they were promised .. one even sid she hs to py bck (which I do not understand so can not comment on) .... but we lost a big piece of democracy with that vote. Contracts with the goverment no longer mean anything. We are entering a slipery slope to dicttorship and it scares me.
    Help my Kaitlyn reach her goal of selling 100 boxes of Chocolate Mint Girl Guide cookies. $5 each and we dliver. PM me

http://dawnfitzgerald.myepicure.com/
    But message me directly to order or book and I can get you a special LM deal

Quote Originally Posted by laurensmom View Post
    Our board had its strike vote tonight....which at this point is only symbolic. We voted 98% in favor of strike.

Did you know that Dalton's salary is over $250 000/year (plus perks and expenses of course) and that he is eligible for 150% of his salary upon “retirement“? And that most MPs make similar? When are they taking a wage cap/pay cut/wage freeze?
    Good question! Dh & I have asked this same question with regard to ministers in the fed gov't too! It's ridiculous isn't it?!

When we were recently in PEI, Dh stumbled up this t shirt with a pirate head on it & it says “The beatings will continue until Morale improves!“ he wore it to work one day this week & the staff loved it! All of you teachers (and gov't workers & anyone else in a similar situation to this kind of thing) should go & find yourself a shirt similar to this & wear it to work ha!

Expert Forum User

My SIL (teacher) posted this on her FB

Those Greedy, Lazy Teachers | It's Dilovely

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12