Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Selling at the LondonMoms Sale!

How to Sell at the LondonMoms Spring and Fall Sales

We are often asked what the best way to price, arrange, present, sort and make money at the sales. There are two simple things to remember when you are preparing to sell at the LondonMoms spring or fall sale. The first is to FOLLOW THE RULES the second is to BE ORGANIZED. If you stick to them, you will do great.

When you get your contract, you will be sent a list of rules to follow. The ones that come up most often are the following:

1. At the spring sale, you can only sell spring/summer things i.e. no snowsuits, winter boots, Halloween costumes, etc. At the fall sale, you can only sell fall/winter things i.e. no sandals, swimsuits, shorts, sundresses, etc. Jeans and hoodies are generally okay at both sales, though they may not sell as well at the spring sale.

2. You must stay within the space you are given. At home when you are preparing, measure out a space the size of the table and see how your items fit in that space. Before buying/borrowing racks, ensure that they will fit in the size allotted for you. If your rack is too large, you may be charged for an additional rack space or if the space is not available, be asked to take down your rack. Do not plan on having items more than a few inches in front of your table and do not plan on using the space beside your table as there may not be any.

3. You may not sell any items that are ripped, stained or well used. While we do recognize the demand for and value in reusing these items, the spring/fall sale is not the place for them. Sell play clothes on the forum or in the classifieds. While clothes sold at the sales will obviously be second hand, we do expect that they be in good condition.

4. Anything the size of a bouncy chair or larger must go in the oversized items section of the sale, without exception. Sale helpers will be going around the Friday evening during set up and redirecting larger items to that section if you have not already done so.

5. Be aware of product safety recalls. You will not be allowed to sell expired items (helmets, carseats, etc) or items that do not meet current standards (e.g. drop side cribs that have not been bolted, Bumbo chairs without the strap, etc). You will be asked to take any items not meeting safety standards back to your car.

And on to ORGANIZATION....

There are many ways to organize and price your clothes for sale. Do not show up on the Friday night before you sell with 10 bins of clothing an no plan! An hour or two of preparation ahead of time will make sure that you are set up and ready to sell by the time the Friday night presale begins.

PRICING
    Here are a few options on how to price your items. Use one or a combination of them.

1. Sell clothing in outfits. Pair all dresses with sweaters, skirts with shirts, pants with tops, shorts with t's, etc. Sell them in sets that are all ready to wear. Price each set accordingly.

2. Sell clothes in bulk. If you have a lot of clothing and want to get rid of it all, have grocery bags for your shoppers and sell however many pieces you can fit in a bag for one price, regardless of what the pieces are.

3. Another option for selling off large quantities is to have set prices for items, e.g. all items $1, any 4 items for $5, 6 items for $5, etc.

4. Price items according to type of clothing, e.g. all shirts $1, all pants $3, all dresses $5, etc.

5. Price all items individually, at your discretion. Use safety pins to pin price tags or simply write the price on masking tape.

PRESENTATION
    If you have a number of items that are easier seen on hangers, consider getting space for a rack as well as a table. Dresses, costumes, coats and jackets, and outfits are nicely seen on racks. RACK SPACE MUST BE PURCHASED BEFORE THE SALE SET UP AND MAY NOT BE AVAILABLE AFTER CONTRACTS ARE SIGNED. Have your clothes on hangers before you arrive for set up to make it quick and easy. Be sure to test out your rack at home with everything you plan to put on it. They don't hold as much as you think!

Choose to organize items on your table by size or by type of clothing (e.g. sleepers, onesies, tops, bottoms). Shallow bins assist with organization, where deeper bins create chaos and hide items.

Use signs to identify what you are selling. A large sign indicating gender or size range of your clothing will entice shoppers to come to your table. Smaller signs indicating how you've organized your table will allow shoppers to find what they want and not get frustrated and walk away.

If you have a rack, cut paper plates to fit over the bar with information about what you have hung there.

If you're selling shoes, have the size and price clearly labelled for buyers. Pinning, taping or bagging your shoes will keep them together and organized.

Some frequently debated issues...

BOUTIQUE VS NAME BRAND VS GENERIC clothing
    People often ask if it is worth it to bring boutique clothing to sell at LondonMoms sales, knowing that the resale value will be higher than most clothing. There is a market for boutique clothing, especially if you let buyers know in advance in the forums the lines of clothing you are bringing and sizes.

Sellers often want to price name brand clothing at higher prices than generic clothing. Generally speaking, if your higher end clothing is not faded or worn looking and is only a year or so old, it will sell for higher than generic clothing in similar conditions, the exception being socks, sleepers, onsies, hats, etc. A sleeper is a sleeper is a sleeper, so whether you bought it full price at Mexx kids or 80% off at the Zellers closing sale, it's still just a second hand sleeper and trying to sell it for $5 will not garner a buyer.

If your higher end clothing is worn, faded or you are not the first owner, do not expect to make more money off of it based on it's tag.

MATERNITY CLOTHING
    Buyers are often looking for maternity clothing and it's often left at home! Don't be afraid to bring it. Same rules apply as for children's clothing.

NEW WITH TAGS
    Wrong season? Wrong size? Wrong colour? Keep the tags on and sell it for a great price at the sale. Just be sure to put a black line through the bar code with a marker.

MEDIA ITEMS
    VHS tapes are obsolete. While there are people who still want them, don't bother trying to sell them. Give them away for free and be thankful if someone takes them.
    DVD's sell for $1-5, usually. Be sure that it is not scratched and that the disc is in the case!
    LeapFrog, game consoles, etc. can sell really easily, so long as they are in good condition and not too outdated. Remember that new models come out daily, so if it's 5+ years old consider pricing to sell.

TOYS AND BOOKS
    Buyers are always looking for toys and books!
    Smaller items like rattles and shakers do better when baggied in small groups for one price. Price toys clearly. Consider having batteries and a screwdriver if necessary to show that they work. Make sure puzzles and games have all the pieces.
    Books, like clothes, should be priced based on condition and desirability. Board books, readers, and beginner novels from popular authors and series will sell for more than their unknown or generic counterparts.

REALISTIC PRICING
    A general guide is about 30-50% of what you purchased it for or the lowest sale price it would've sold for. All things considered and factoring in all of the above mentioned variables, here are some pricing guidelines. Feel free to raise/lower based on the condition or disregard altogether!

Socks 25-50c/pair
    undershirts 25-50c
    onesie 25c-$1
    sleeper 50c-$2
    pajama's $1-5
    track/yoga pants $1-3
    jeans/khakis $1-5
    shirts $1-5
    dresses $3-10
    sweaters/hoodies $3-6
    hats 50c-$2

Maternity clothing $3-15

excersaucers $20-40
    bouncy chair $10-20
    swing $30-50
    books 25c-$3
    baby bath tub $5-15
    Bumbo chairs $30-45
    chair booster seats $10-25

The best way to guarantee a good sale and to bring home more money than clothing is to ADVERTISE. Tell everyone you know about the sale, invite anyone with children. The more buyers, the more chances of attracting someone to what you're selling! Also, in the week or two before the sale, threads will be started on the forum asking who is selling what. Post what you are selling so that members know who to look for and what they'll find when they get there.

Thank you so much for this information! One question, I still haven't gotten the flyer to post, should I have?

Expert Forum User

AP are you starting a thread requesting items or sizes or are we just posting “ISO“ threads?

There's usually a What Are You Selling thread and a What Are You Looking to Buy thread.

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by SaraCraig View Post
    Thank you so much for this information! One question, I still haven't gotten the flyer to post, should I have?
    Sorry everyone. I have had a few complications in getting the flyer updated (read I am not the best at that type of thing on the computer ) and they are a bit behind. I WILL hve it to you within the next 48 hours. I have some outside help rescuing me
    Help my Kaitlyn reach her goal of selling 100 boxes of Chocolate Mint Girl Guide cookies. $5 each and we dliver. PM me

http://dawnfitzgerald.myepicure.com/
    But message me directly to order or book and I can get you a special LM deal

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by AuntPetunia View Post
    There's usually a What Are You Selling thread and a What Are You Looking to Buy thread.
    I couldn't find one yet, do mods usually start them or should I just start one?

ONE MORE WEEK!!!!

I think i might have missed an email set up is friday at 730pm right? is there a set of doors that we are supposed to use I don't know lucas secondary school at all...

Check out my newest venture
    www.facebook.com/FlowerPowerBabies

You did not miss. It is going out right now. I got busy with some Brownie stuff and did not get it out before dinner. Sorry!! Set up is at 7:30.
    Help my Kaitlyn reach her goal of selling 100 boxes of Chocolate Mint Girl Guide cookies. $5 each and we dliver. PM me

I have some larger items I never accounted for in my contract, is it ok to still bring them?!

Yes you can. They can be added today.

Hopefully everyone recieved an email from me this am (sent last night) with some last minute details. I need to know about added racks BEFORE supper ... big tickets you can add tonight but a warning they are coming helps us allocate space

Ok thanks dawn, I have a playstation thingy and a baby swing to bring!

anyone know when the spring 2013 sale is and how to reserve a spot? - first time mom seller

Looking to rid chemicals from your home and start living a healthier lifestyle? Message me and I'll show you how![/B]

It's May 9 and the tables are already going. There Is a thread up somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by AuntPetunia View Post
    It's May 9 and the tables are already going. There Is a thread up somewhere.
    I thought it was May 4th?!?!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast