View Poll Results: have you or your child(ren) been involvedin Girl Guides?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have never been involved in Girl Guides

6 16.22%
  • I was a Spark

1 2.70%
  • I was a Brownie

23 62.16%
  • I was a Guide

23 62.16%
  • I was a Pathfinder

13 35.14%
  • I was a Ranger

4 10.81%
  • I am/was an adult Guider

10 27.03%
  • My child (ren) have not been in Girl Guides

12 32.43%
  • My child(ren) were/are a Spark

12 32.43%
  • My child(ren) were/are a Brownie

12 32.43%
  • My child(ren) were/are a Guide

5 13.51%
  • My child(ren) were/are a Pathfinder

1 2.70%
  • My child(ren) were/are a Ranger

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Girl Guides

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Girl Guides

So the thread the other day about 4H and then the one today about Brownie registration got me thinking about how many of us were guides and how many of our childre are/were. Guiding was a HUGE part of my childhood. I loved going to meeting, but even more so I loved the challenge of earning all the badges (yeah I am a dork ).

What are/were your experiences? Were you a Girl Guide as a girl? What groups did you do? Were/are you a Guider as an adult? Were/are your children in Guiding? What did you like about it? What did you dislike? What are your favorite memories? I seriously love hearing this stuff - lol

Poll coming and it will allow for MULTIPLE voting so choose all that apply to you
    Help my Kaitlyn reach her goal of selling 100 boxes of Chocolate Mint Girl Guide cookies. $5 each and we dliver. PM me

http://dawnfitzgerald.myepicure.com/
    But message me directly to order or book and I can get you a special LM deal

Expert Forum User

I was in Brownies, Guides and Pathfinders. I only did one year of Pathfinders though because I didn't care for it.

I don't remember very much about Brownies. I know I had a lot of badges and that I flew up to Guides and I remember the toad stool and "two-it two-it two-oo"

In Guides I enjoyed camping, despite the fact that it almost ALWAYS rained when we went. We went to a guide camp that starts with an A once and we went to Pinery a couple times. We made buddy burners which didn't hold up to the torrential rain and winds lol. We couldn't get them lit. So basically the entire time our leaders cooked for us in a dinning tent.

My favourite part of the trip was going to the beach and sitting in a circle by the water at night. It was pitch black and I'm fairly certain that they gave us birthday candles to set in the sand and we lit them and just sat there in the dark singing.

I also enjoyed the hiking and we made bunnies? out of folded felt I think.

I don't remember much about Pathfinders. Mostly we sat in my leaders' backyard or in her basement and talked I think. We had a really small group. . .maybe 4 girls? Not sure. I wasn't particularly close to any of the girls so I ended up dropping out.
    Last edited by Findabhair; 08-21-2012 at 05:38 PM.

Expert Forum User

I've never been involved in anything girl guide related.

Expert Forum User

Love Guiding, it's been a huge part of my life since I was 6. There wasn't Sparks when I was little so I started in Brownies and I have been a member every year since. I was also a Jr Leader, a Link and a Community Guider which are not listed in the poll. Currently I'm a Brownie leader.

I now have both my girls in Guiding. This September one will be a second year Brownie and one will be a first year Spark.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I was a Brownie and a Girl Guide. My mom was a Brownie leader. A few years ago I was a Girl Guide leader.

I remember liking it. I didn't really like the camping though.

I am contemplating putting my kids in Brownies when they are old enough to go.
    "Anything is better than lies and deceit". Leo Tolstoy

I was a brownie, a girl guide and did a brief stint as a pathfinder. I was also a Sparks leader for 1 year. I love the idea behind guiding. I can not wait until DD is 5 so she can sign up for Sparks!
    *~* The point isn't whether they lived happily ever after, the point is that they lived*~

Expert Forum User

I was a guide and have great memories of that time. DD starts Sparks this year and I am excited for her and the stuff she will get to do.
    Shannon

Nothing is Impossible, if you just Believe

I was never involved but my daughter has completed her 2 years at sparks and is starting brownies next month. She was at Brownie camp last week and had a blast!

I love my dd being involved with girl guides I think it is a wonderful experience for her and I hope that she stays with it!

Expert Forum User

I was in Indian Princesses. Similar, but it was done through the YMCA and it was Daddy-Daughter. There were monthly meetings with a craft, etc. and then a weekend camping trip each season. I loved it.

Expert Forum User

I was a Guide. My parents were super over protective and never let me go to camp. My kids had no interest in Guides and it just didn't seem as popular as it was when I was a kid.
    Last edited by MomLiz; 08-21-2012 at 06:36 PM.

i was in brownies-pathfinders, my kids have never done either. but both my sisters have been leaders for years, and my younger sister always takes Aurora to camp with her brownies. she loves it.

I would sign her up if i could.
    jennifer mommy to 4 amazing kids!

I was a girl guide for a couple of years (I believe) and I wasn't crazy about it. I remember it felt more like a 'job' than fun, kind of like more school. I preferred soccer and gymnastics
    tough times don't last but tough people do

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I was never involved in guiding as a kid I did go to something at the church with some of the neighborhood kids called Pioneer Girls. It was similar but religion based.

I was an adult Guider for 2 years. I was a Brownie Leader. It was fun sometimes.

Dd1 was both a Spark and. Brownie. She liked it well enugh but didn't love it. She chose to give up guiding to participate in gymnastics. Which is her second love after Skating. I am okay with that. Dd1 isn't going to Sparks and likely wont attend guiding due to her love of sports. Just not enough nights to do it all.
    Last edited by one ordinary girl; 08-21-2012 at 07:07 PM.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

I was a brownie up to a ranger, but sparks started when I was in guides already

I loved so much of it. I am a dork and love to learn new things so I loved the encouragement to earn new badge. I also love the general meetings. New songs, fun games, crafts... loved it all!! I still remember our camp experiences and I admit I loved them too. My favorite mempry was a special weekend conference I got to go to with a few other guides from my unit. we meet so many new friends. I had a penpal from that weekend until I went to college and then we lost touch.

Now I am a guider for a Brownie unit. I LOVE this even more. It is so amazing to watch thegirl develop close friendships, learn new things and grow. We have gone to the fire station, Disney on ice, the observatory, arts camp, horse camp, hiking and more! It is all about having fun but also learning new things and empowering the girls to be whomever they want to be. Our big trip last year was the Horse camp and I will be honest it brought me to tears. Seeing their excitement, their pride in their accomplishment and most of all how close they had all become. I seriously love it.

My DD is in my unit (incase that is not obvious). She loves it too. She is soooo much like me. She is determined to earn every single badge - lol. She loves the friends she has made and really looks forward to Thursdays (when we meet). I am glad I got to share this with her.
    Help my Kaitlyn reach her goal of selling 100 boxes of Chocolate Mint Girl Guide cookies. $5 each and we dliver. PM me

http://dawnfitzgerald.myepicure.com/
    But message me directly to order or book and I can get you a special LM deal

I was a brownie and a girl guide. I honestly don't remember when I stopped, lol, but am thinking probably around 11 which was when we moved. I know I enjoyed it a lot, and I also enjoyed getting the badges and completing all the tasks lol.

My kids haven't been involved at all. I have thought about signing my DS up for scouts, or DD up for sparks, but haven't lol. I may look into it again this year since DD isn't doing dance again this year so we might have more free time (haha, yeah right)
    where does the time go?
    mom to DS (11) and DD (7)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast