Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Skylanders - any info? ever played?

Everyone seems to play this game, and ds showed no interest then suddenly today says he's hoping to get it for his birthday. So I am trying to research it and it's got shooting, which none of his games have had yet, but doesn't soung horribly bad ( I mean they're like monsters or somethign right, not people, and it says no blood, they turn into orbs?)
    But also, does it work well on 3ds?
    If he plays on that, then happened to get an xbox for xmas,
    could he use those same characters on that?
    Anyone got any advice or reviews or anything please? he's almost nine, btw. And experienced with gaming.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

I am watching this! my son wants it for wii
    Mom to DS - 9.5 years old
    AND

Expert Forum User

My son has it for wii. The characters are little cartoonish monsters and as you fight with them they lose health and once they “die“ you have to use a different one for about 10 minutes ... If you try to use that same one again too soon it will tell you that one hasnt recovered yet. Anyway because of that you will wajt at least two 3-packs of characters to play with or your game could be over pretty quick! I havent seen any blood. I dont know about compatibility between consoles - the characters will work on any of them but i think you have to have a separate base/portal (and definitely a separate game cartridge/cd) for each console.

Expert Forum User

My nephews have it for the PS3 and I think its pretty kid safe. There is cartoon fighting between the different critters, but its not gory.

Dunno about for the ds though.

Expert Forum User

it is a safe/great game for kids. We have it for xbox (and I do not allow my little guys to play violent games). The guys are pretty pricey (about 10.00 for 1 guy and 20.00-30.00 for the 3 packs) and some are VERY hard to find!

We JUST finished the set a few weeks ago and have been collecting them since Christmas when we got it, and a new game is coming out soon (you can use your guys from this set for the new set and the new set has another 40 guys to collect). Personally it is the only gave I will play on xbox, it is fun!

Expert Forum User

when you buy the game it comes with 3 guys to start off with

Kiki do you have the arcade version of xbox or the one with lots more memory, ie, the two hundred or four hundred dollar one?
    dh has wanted xbox for years. I could foresee buying it for the guys. But...lol preferably the cheaper one if it'd be sufficient.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

We LOVE Skylanders over here..my girls are 7 and 11.
    I think we have about 10 characters now.

Also, we just bought an xbox a couple months ago. The mr thought we could buy the cheap one and put in extra memory or whatever like you can with the PS3's..but NOOOO. It's not like that. So we HAD to buy the expensive one.

Expert Forum User

I am not 100% sure, my fil bought it for the kids for christmas. I want to say it is an 8gig one but could be wrong. We have not run out of storage one it and the kids play it quite often.

I sent you a pm on fb about the skylanders game btw

The xbox hard drive size all depends on what you plan on doing with it.

All of your saved games get stored on the hard drive. Also, there are lots of fun games that you can buy directly from Microsoft's arcade using Microsoft points. Those games would be stored on your hard drive, and they can be quite large. If you really think you'd only end up with a couple of games, then the 8 gig might be okay. Another thing you can check is to see if that one has a USB port and if you can store your profiles on a flash drive. That might free up some space on the hard drive. I believe my sister has that version of the 360 and that she was able to use a flash drive, but I'm not 100% on that. I know the small hard drive versions would never work in my house because we've got to be approaching 200 games between ones on disk and arcade games.

I would also look at the bundle with the Kinect. There's some really fun stuff for the family and there are even workout games if you're into that kind of thing.

Saree,
    video game dork
    Mom to a sweet baby boy, born August 6, 2012.

Thanks! I think I might look into those bundles. I noticed one comes with a game called Carnival Games and we have that on ds and he and dd love it. I like goofy games like that to play with them. Anything more serious, and he just embarrasses me by beating me so badly except Mario.
    I have years on him with that one :P
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11

Expert Forum User

Is this appropriate for a boy turning 6? I'm wondering if this would make a good bday present for ds.

I ended up chickening out of a new system for now, and got him the game for 3ds.
    If you google reviews of it, you'll see that it's basically your usual fighting game, except when characters die they kind of turn into orbs, instead of 'dying.' No blood, guts. And then if YOUR characters die, they don't die, the just have to restore their health. So it's like they're wounded.
    The real gimic is that there's this portal thing, where you set your figurine and that is how you put in or take out certain players.
    Then parents get to hunt all over buying all kinds of figurines for their kids
    And somehow, the figurines store their experience, and you could take them from one system to another, or to your friend's house.
    ets: i haven't seen it played yet because his bday is not for a few more weeks.
    Last edited by Ingalls; 09-08-2012 at 04:29 PM.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by ToocuteMaddie'n'Josh View Post
    Is this appropriate for a boy turning 6? I'm wondering if this would make a good bday present for ds.
    Yepper! DS got his when he was 6, and just got some more characters for his bday (party) today.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by ZooMama View Post
    Yepper! DS got his when he was 6, and just got some more characters for his bday (party) today.
    Good! I just picked up the starter pack today from TRU, since they have a promotion going on where you get 2 bonus figures (that part will be dd's gift for ds). He loves to play Lego stuff on the Wii so I think this will be a hit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast