Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TylerL

Thread: cell phone upgrade

Default cell phone upgrade

Hi! I have to "upgrade" my cell phone which died a long over due death. Have had it well over 7 years. Anyway...my provider is "giving me a free upgrade." One is a blackberry and the other is a Samsung product. I am sure that they are not the latest model and that is fine. I am in no way techy and would prob. just use it as an actual phone and the odd text. I would not see myself using it for a "data plan" for the 'net but would like the option if things changed. Which should I consider. I lean towards the blackberry....Canadian and all, but with their recent troubles am not sure if that is the best choice. Would love a techy's opinion. Thank you so much.
    Sim

Simonne,

Believe it or not, once you do get a phone that is like a min-computer, you will find yourself using it more and more. It is always a better idea to go for a phone that offers more than what you think you will need.

I suggest the Samsung due to integrity of construction, and the fact that I believe it will be supported for longer. I am not sure how much longer Blackberry will be alive, but each of their products is at least 3 years behind anything else sitting on the shelf at the cell phone store. A few people I know would have gladly handed theirs back for a different phone.

A few things to look for:
    - Ask them the price of the adapter. If you want a car charger a home charger...etc, you don't want to be dishing out $50 for each one.
    - Look at cases, see if one is available for the model they offer. If you are going to be carrying it for a few years ,you want it protected.
    - Let me know the models that they offer, and I can let you know which ones are better/worse.
    - Make sure it is not discontinued, or it will become a pain in the arse whenever you try to do anything.

Hope that helps!
    Tyler
    simonne likes this.
    Tyler Logtenberg
    Network and Internet Marketing Consultant
    Claris Technologies

Ask the Tech Expert
    http://forum.londonmoms.ca/ask-technology-expert/