Default can anyone give step by step directions for composting.... and any tips too?

I read the previous post about composting and was hoping to find some easy directions on how one goes about composting.

I have one of the big black beasts in my back yard and for the past few years I have used it off and on for dumping kitchen scraps. I have caught snippets of "how to" ideas but not enough to really make it happen.

I know the black bin needs to be in the sun to "cook" your compost, other than that I am clueless. I want it to be simple and fool proof.

Do you need to layer paper or leaves, if so, when?

Do you need to stir it or can you just shovel it out the bottom?

How do you know when it is "done"?

Do you have to add coffee grounds?

Do you have to water it?.....if so, how much?

How do you get rid of fruit flies in your home? (natural ways to ward them off or trap them?)

Thanks gals for letting me pick your minds!

HippieMama

You don't have to do anything. But some of those things are helpful at speeding up the compost process. I'm incredibly lazy, so I just dump stuff in as I need to, and don't worry about layers. The only time I add water is when I dump out a vase of flowers, or when I wash out the compost bucket outside (I rinse the bucket from the hose, and then dump that water into the beast). And I do put coffee and tea remains in the compost, but because they're organic matter, not to necessarily help the process.

The best way to avoid fruit flies is to empty out the compost pail as often as possible, but let's be realistic, sometimes as often as possible isn't every day (or 3 or 5...). So the way to trap them is to put some vinegar or wine in a bowl or jar, which attracts the flies, and then either trap them in container with dish soap mixed into the vinegar or a cover of saran wrap with holes poked in it ... I do both, just to be extra mean!

Thanks for making it simple. Everyone who has told me about how to use the "beast" has made it sound really complicated with a whack of rules and things you have to do. It sounded real labour intensive and with a newborn last summer I could not be bothered. Had I have known it was so simple........well, that's another story!

HippieMama

No problem! Growing up, we had a compost pile - literally, a pile of food and yard waste. That required a bit of maintenance, because it would lose heat and moisture too readily. Container composting is very easy in comparison.

Once you get going, you may want to speed up the process, and that's when you would start a system to layer waste. But eventually, any pile of varied organic matter will break down - all you have to do is pile it!

We never really did anything other than give it a toss once or twice during the summer.