Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default Teachers going on strike?

Does anyone think this will happen?

I don't know what the issues are for teachers because it seems to be one-sided reporting in the media from the government's perspective.

My MIL told me tonight she would watch the twins if there is a strike in the fall. I hadn't really thought about a strike happening until she mentioned it.

My bil is a teacher in Sarnia. He told me tonight that he figured that back to work legislation would be issued first. I am not really aware of the issues either and others may have a more informed answer .

M2M
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I've heard nothing about this

Expert Forum User

I knopw nothing about it but i'd vote yes i'd bet they land on strike.
    the teachers strike every year isn't it tradition?
    ~Who ever said "don't cry over spilt milk" has never been a breast feeding mother with latch issues standing over a puddle

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by DMSco View Post
    I knopw nothing about it but i'd vote yes i'd bet they land on strike.
    the teachers strike every year isn't it tradition?
    Sarcastic or not, this is not called for, and false.

The teachers may go strike, they may not. If they do, many won't want to, but they will have to.

The Catholic Elementary teachers have an agreement, and unless something changes dramatically they will not be on strike.

Expert Forum User

98 strike
    99 strike
    00 strike
    01 strike
    02 strike
    03 no strike (wow)
    04 college strike(not sure about the others)
    05 college strike

and them i didn't care to pay attention any more.
    so I have an opinon yes. and its based on my experience.
    ~Who ever said "don't cry over spilt milk" has never been a breast feeding mother with latch issues standing over a puddle

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry's mom View Post
    My bil is a teacher in Sarnia. He told me tonight that he figured that back to work legislation would be issued first. I am not really aware of the issues either and others may have a more informed answer .
    I read something in the paper that they'd issue a back to work legislation. That Mcguinty said that kids will be in school after labour day. ( not direct quotes)
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Expert Forum User

The Catholic union has made a tentative deal but has the government said it's ok and has the union ratified it??? I didn't think they had yet and I heard some scuttlebutt that many of the members are upset enough that it may not pass ratification.

I don't expect the Public union to come to an agreement without back to work legislation but I don't think there'll be a strike until further into the school year.........

Quote Originally Posted by one ordinary girl View Post
    I read something in the paper that they'd issue a back to work legislation. That Mcguinty said that kids will be in school after labour day. ( not direct quotes)
    McGuinty is full of BS and spinning the situation to make teacher look bad. There is little to no risk of strike for Sept 1. IF a strike happens it will happen later than that.

There are HUGE issues at stake and the govt is being highly deceptive in their propaganda.
    "Anything is better than lies and deceit". Leo Tolstoy

Expert Forum User

the last time teachers (TVDSB and LDCSB) went on strike was I believe 1998. My husband has been in the London District Catholic board since 2001 and I have been in Thames Valley since 2001 and niether of us have ever been on strike.

TVDSB teachers have NOT had a strike vote, nor have we been formally told of one. Our union has tried to get the media to state that we WILL be back in the classrooms on the first day of school, but the media can't sensationalize that at all.

Teachers contracts were once 4 years long and have been 2 years for the past few, hence we can't strike while in a contract and can only do so when the contract expires.

Traditionally work to rule is done where teachers remove any kind of extra curricular work and this does impact students since there are no clubs, sports, or any of that. Teachers come in at the regulated time (15 minutes before the start of the day) and leave at the regulated time (end of the school day) to be in line with the safe schools act. No marking, planning, photocopying, etc. done after school or before.

The government and the media is really only showing part of the story regarding the negiotiations. Just to put this out there because it really bugs the snot out of me, talk is that they want to do away with the retirement gratuity (basically getting paid for unused sick days upon retirement). Thames Valley got rid of this years ago, and it only affects less than 20 teachers that are from predecessor boards (Elgin, Middlesex, or Oxford)
    Having only 10 sick days is also very difficult. Sick days are used for sickness as well as appointments. When I have a dr. appt. I have to use a sick day (or half day) as we can't leave an hour early and it is the occassional teachers contract that states that they will be paid either for a full day or half day. I have 2 children that need to go to the dr. and the dentist as well as myself, if I can't get these appts during the summer (and we go to the dentist every 6 months) or other holiday time, I need to take a sick day. They get used quite fast, especially if you are pregnant or have some illness that takes you down and out for a few days.

I will be watching this thread hoping to clarify and mis-leading any info with my opinion and knowledge. I am also attending the provincial ETFO (elementary teachers federation of Ontario) meeting in a couple weeks where I'm sure I will hear a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by DMSco View Post
    98 strike
    99 strike
    00 strike
    01 strike
    02 strike
    03 no strike (wow)
    04 college strike(not sure about the others)
    05 college strike

and them i didn't care to pay attention any more.
    so I have an opinon yes. and its based on my experience.
    1) Can you back up these stats? I HIGHLY doubt London teachers were on strike 4 consecutive years running. I KNOW Sarnia teachers were not.

2) A college strike is totally different, its a completely different union.

3) Part of the package in belonging to a union is that sometimes there are strikes. Strikes, historically, are what have lead to safe and fair working conditions for all. I do not fault teacher's striking any more than I do the postal workers, plant workers, auto workers or any other unions.

What we SHOULD be concerned about is McGunity in his high and mighty power stripping our unions of their right to bargain by forcing them to accept a contract. That is what they are *trying* to do.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by laurensmom View Post
    McGuinty is full of BS and spinning the situation to make teacher look bad. There is little to no risk of strike for Sept 1. IF a strike happens it will happen later than that.

There are HUGE issues at stake and the govt is being highly deceptive in their propaganda.
    This is what I don't understand, if there are huge issues why is the teacher's union not explaining these issues to the public? The only message the public is getting right now is that teachers will strike unless the government prevents it

M2M

I was going to say the last strike by TVDSB that I remember was when I was in grade 6, which would have been 1997/1998

Quote Originally Posted by MrsB View Post
    The government and the media is really only showing part of the story regarding the negiotiations. Just to put this out there because it really bugs the snot out of me, talk is that they want to do away with the retirement gratuity (basically getting paid for unused sick days upon retirement). Thames Valley got rid of this years ago, and it only affects less than 20 teachers that are from predecessor boards (Elgin, Middlesex, or Oxford)
    Having only 10 sick days is also very difficult. Sick days are used for sickness as well as appointments. When I have a dr. appt. I have to use a sick day (or half day) as we can't leave an hour early and it is the occassional teachers contract that states that they will be paid either for a full day or half day. I have 2 children that need to go to the dr. and the dentist as well as myself, if I can't get these appts during the summer (and we go to the dentist every 6 months) or other holiday time, I need to take a sick day. They get used quite fast, especially if you are pregnant or have some illness that takes you down and out for a few days.

I will be watching this thread hoping to clarify and mis-leading any info with my opinion and knowledge. I am also attending the provincial ETFO (elementary teachers federation of Ontario) meeting in a couple weeks where I'm sure I will hear a lot more.
    Well stated.

Regarding the sick days. The sick days (in my board anyways) essentially is our short term disability package. Other than the sick days we have none. Yes, we are allowed to bank them year to year, which comes in very handy when you need to take off an amount of time (like the 34 days I was ordered off work due to pregnancy complications....or the 5 days I was off with pink-eye, caught from a student). They disappear at retirement. When allowed to bank them, there is some motivation to keep them....so people use as few as possible. If the govt keeps its plan of cutting it to 6 and making them disappear each year, then I can see many people using all 6 to prove a point. I don't think they'll save a cent.

Quote Originally Posted by twinmommy View Post
    This is what I don't understand, if there are huge issues why is the teacher's union not explaining these issues to the public? The only message the public is getting right now is that teachers will strike unless the government prevents it
    I don't know.

I think they tried to at the beginning, but it was lost in the shuffle of the propaganda.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast