Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Places for BF??

Default Places for BF??

Today I was at white oaks walmart(yah, not by choice. DS wanted a new car and after DH had shut his fingers in the stroller we felt that was the least we could do)...anyways so we are shopping and Hadley needs to be fed. I had no idea where a good spot to nurse her was as I prefer quiet and slightly private. Well she was screaming bloody murder and I ended up feeding her in the bathroom. Yuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So can you guys brainstorm and list places that you feel are good for BF.
    I can only think of one.
    Westmount mall at Sears. They have a nursing room upstairs, complete with rocking chairs, change table and place for toddler to colour while you are feeding.

thanks.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! mamabear's Avatar

I just nurse DD wherever we are. *Shrugs* I was kind of timid about it at first, but I got over it pretty quickly. I realize not everyone feels that way though.
    I think there was a thread quite awhile ago about the lack of secluded areas for nursing at White Oaks though. I know Masonville has a nursing room and the Sears there does too.
    You can nurse pretty discreetly while walking around if you babywear.
    Often if you go into a store like Thyme Maternity, as long as they're not busy they won't mind if you nurse in the changerooms from what I understand.

Expert Forum User

Change rooms. They usually have a seat and always have a place to hang your coat and are great for corelling any older children. Sometimes I get an odd look from the staff but often they know exactly what I want before I ask.

The only negative is if you have a noisy nurser anyone else in the area will wonder what the heck you are doing.

Expert Forum User

I was shopping with all of the kids one day and was in GAP and a staff member asked me if I wanted to use the changeroom when Logan started screaming
    Kim
    Mom to four great kids: Hunter, Trent, Emma and Logan

Change rooms...why didn't I think of that. Instead I take my LO to a bathroom. I'll chalk it up to lack sleep and mommy brain.

Expert Forum User

At White Oaks Mall there is a "MOMS" room for changing/feeding that is off the beaten path down the hall that Mall Management is. They have a changetable/counter and sink that I also found useful to heat formula.
    It is down the same row as Applebees/H&M...use to be next door to Jewels & Time- I can not remember the name of the new store there now.
    Last edited by Sleepless in London; 03-29-2008 at 03:16 PM.

Expert Forum User

Masonville also has family rooms - near the food court. Comfy chairs!

Expert Forum User

I actually really dislike the "family room" at masonville near the food court. It is the exact same thing as nursing your LO in a bathroom. I don't eat in a bathroom and neither does my little one. I would rather sit in the food court with a blanket over us, despite the comfy seats in the "family room".

Peek'a Boo

At White Oaks there is the room by Mall management (sorta beside Soft Moc I think). There also used to be a quiet bench outside the bathrooms upstairs at the Bay. Be forewarned, all the little old ladies stop and say how nice to see someone b/fing.

I saw a mouse in the "family" rooms at Masonville once.

girlsmum

Talking

Why have I never been upset by walking past a mom in a mall that is nursing their baby.............when we still drove to Guelph for my teen to dance, the director put us in the nursery and she came and chatted with us needing to nurse her son and she did so in front of DH and I, didn't bother either of us. We chatted about some dance shows and family stuff, no one was ill at ease. If I see any of you ladies nursing on a bench in the mall, I'll be the one with the twins and you won't get a weird look from me!!! A mild look of wistfull envy might be about it.

Expert Forum User

Well I'm out there nursing my toddler attempting to normalize it and make it easier for all you shy mamas to nurse wherever and whenever you feel comfortable!

I'm not certain but I would assume OEYC in Westmount would have comfortable nursing areas ???

As for WO, I agree that change rooms would be preferable to washrooms. La Senza has nice change rooms with comfortable chairs. After all the hell that Applebees caught in the US a few months ago, it would be a good laugh to go in there just to nurse and not to eat or drink... I can't imagine that they'd dare deny you ...Perhaps they might even offer one of those *lovely* (tongue-placed-firmly-in-cheek) blankets that they offered to keep on hand for breastfeeding mothers to cover up with so as not to *offend* other patrons

MM
    *sigh*

Breastfeeding Success Essentials:
    SUPPORT ~ EDUCATION ~ DETERMINATION

Beat the "Booby Traps" to Breastfeeding Success!

~The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'~

~Do or Do Not. There is no try.~
    Yoda

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by MilkyMama View Post
    Well I'm out there nursing my toddler attempting to normalize it and make it easier for all you shy mamas to nurse wherever and whenever you feel comfortable!

I'm not certain but I would assume OEYC in Westmount would have comfortable nursing areas ???

As for WO, I agree that change rooms would be preferable to washrooms. La Senza has nice change rooms with comfortable chairs. After all the hell that Applebees caught in the US a few months ago, it would be a good laugh to go in there just to nurse and not to eat or drink... I can't imagine that they'd dare deny you ...Perhaps they might even offer one of those *lovely* (tongue-placed-firmly-in-cheek) blankets that they offered to keep on hand for breastfeeding mothers to cover up with so as not to *offend* other patrons

MM
    I never heard about this story???!!! Links any other additional info?!

Sorry to go OT.. but that sounds way to interesting a read to pass up! lol

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    I never heard about this story???!!! Links any other additional info?!

Sorry to go OT.. but that sounds way to interesting a read to pass up! lol
    Only too happy to oblige...

Applebees Sucks!

It was a pretty big deal and if I was in the country at the time I had planned on attending my local nurse-in to protest! Every time I think of their dumbass comments, I can't help but shake my head. I will never eat there again.

MM
    Last edited by MilkyMama; 03-29-2008 at 08:15 PM.
    *sigh*

Yoda

Expert Forum User

I noticed that the story I linked left out many other details. Here is Brooke Ryan's original post about the incident.

On June 14th (my anniversary) a few of my children (I have eight) took me to Applebee's for lunch. For my own privacy I asked for the corner booth. I sat facing into the corner not facing the room. My then 7 month old baby boy needed to nurse so we did. A server (Jessica Balswick) came to me and stated that the manager asked her to come speak to me because she was a female. She said the manager said if we wanted to breastfeed we had to cover the baby's head with a blanket. I told her since it was hot out that I didn't have a blanket. She reiterated so I stopped nursing and asked to speak with the manager. As we waited the baby cried so I passed him across the table to my oldest son (almost 18 yrs old) so he could help comfort his as I was a bit shook up. The baby was inconsolable so I told my son to take him to the van and I would come to nurse him as soon as I spoke with the manager. When the manager (Justin Arnolds) came I handed him a copy of the KRS 211.755 law that I keep in my diaper bag. I said "I would like you to educate yourself and your employees of this law that protects breastfeeding mothers." He handed it back to me after glancing over it and said "I know but somebody complained it was indecent exposure so you have to cover the baby with a blanket if you want to breastfeed here". I again held out the paper saying "look at part 3 of the law, it says no person shall interfere with a woman breastfeeding her child". He said the same exact thing as before "I know but somebody complained it was indecent exposure so you have to cover the baby with a blanket if you need to breastfeed here." At that exact moment our server came back with our meal and I said "We can not eat this because I have to go breastfeed my baby." As I exited the hostess asked what was wrong and I told her very briefly and said "I don't see anyone else eating under a blanket in here."
    I went to the van, nursed my baby, cried, and called my local LLL leader Karen. She told me to get the manager and servers name. She gave me names and addresses of people I needed to let know about this incident.
    Our lawyer wrote a letter on June 27, 2007 to Applebee's restaurant (4009 Nicholasville Rd., Applebee's Corporate Headquarters 249 E Main St. (Mike Scanlon) The Lexington-Fayette County Health Dept. (Doraine Bailey), The KY Breastfeeding Promotion Coordinator (Becky Derifield) and the LLL Karen Brown.
    The letter was ignored.
    Our lawyer wrote another letter on July 25, 2007.
    On August 3, 2007 Thomas & King, Inc. Legal Department finally responded. Mr Jonathan R. Weatherby, Jr. Associate General Counsel wrote "we regret that Ms. Ryan left without being served and would like the opportunity to personally invite her to return" .... "we are also considering keeping blankets in the restaurants for use by breast-feeding mothers that may not have them readily available as a result of this incident."
    My husband gasped when he read this response. They just don't get it. It is like saying "Rosa Parks still has to sit at the back of the bus but we will give her a pillow so she is comfortable back there."
    My midwife suggested I speak with the Senator that spearheaded getting the KRS211.755 law. I left a message for Senator Tom Buford and the next day he called me back. I asked him what recourse I had. He said "If you take them to small claims court you could get up to $1,500.00" .... "if you take them to a higher court you may not even get enough to cover your legal fees." I told the Senator I was not interested in money. I want things to change. I want public attention on this cause. I have daughters that will someday breastfeed. I want action not money. I told Senator Buford about my nurse in/out idea and he thought it sounded great. In fact he said "let me know the date and I will come by and support you" .... he also said "hold a sign up saying -small children are not allowed to eat in this restaurant." I said "can I quote you on that" and he said "yes!" Senator Buford said "next time any one does this tell them to call the police and get a police report written up on it."
    Since August is "World Breastfeeding Awareness Month" I am having one nurse-out at the Fayette Mall just to raise awareness. This is not in any way to attack the mall .... it is just a place to hang out at. I am late arranging this so it will not actually be in August but then again what is one day. It will be September 1st.
    The second event is actually to draw attention to Applebee's restaurant. Friends and supporters will decorate posters and display them for all to see.
    I will paste a copy of the flyer for each of the two events here for all to copy and share.

NURSE-OUT
    SPEAK-OUT
    Applebee's violated KRS 211.755
    Educate Lexington that KY law protects public
    breastfeeding and mothers should never be
    asked to move, hide, cover up, or leave.
    Decorate posters and display them
    at a peaceful Nurse-Out.
    THEME: Breastfeeding in public is Legal
    DATE: Saturday, September 8, 2007
    (in case of rain date 9/22/07)
    Lexington KY
    On the public sidewalk
    in front of Applebee's
    Exercise caution and do not block the right of way.
    News crews will be reporting.
    Do not park in Applebee's parking lot!

I hope everyone can pass this on to as many as possible.
    Every "quotation" is in the exact wording.
    I am also willing to share copies of the actual correspondence between our lawyer and Applebee's.
    Thank you for your support,
    Brooke Ryan
    MM
    *sigh*

Yoda

allie

Hmm not sure if WO has a Shoppers (I don't go there often), but most shoppers drug marts have those comfy chair pads that say "Back pain? Sit here". That might be a good spot. Or if there's a Sears, etc that has furniture for sale...before you buy, OBVIOUSLY you'd want to try it out for a daily activity right?

I didn't bf either child, and I have huge issues about my breasts....long story ....but I have no feelings of uneasiness when I see others who are breastfeeding, public or non. I have sat at the oeyc and had moms put their infants to the breast without even seeing anything, it is so fast. My dh gets a little nervous, like he's afraid he'll glance down and it'll be misinterpreted, but still, would never expect someone to hide, kwim.
    Can people really be that crude?!
    Interesting Applebee's story! Never heard that. Hmmmm never been there but won't likely go now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast