Thread: Car Seats

Default Car Seats

My 10 yr old DSS and 8 yr old DSD are both only about 55lbs......... would you still have either of them in a booster seat? If so would you wait till they hit 80lbs?

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I would assess how they fit in the seat, personally. Are there feet able to reach the floor without the booster? Does the seat belt fit properly without the booster. There are some guide lines online about when they are ready to be out of boosters. Unfortunately, I cannot search them for you from this comp.
    "Anything is better than lies and deceit". Leo Tolstoy

According to mto........A child can start using a seatbelt alone once any one of the following criteria is met:
    • child turns eight years old
    • child weighs 36 kg (80 lb.)
    • child is 145 cm (4 feet-9 inches) tall.
    But i have been told by other parents that since they are so skinny they would still use a booster.

I am a huge advocate of proper car seat use...it drives me insane when parents take their children out the day they turn 8 and when I see children under 13 riding in the front seat...here is a link that explains everything but the most important criteria is mentioned under the “youth“ section, like Laurensmom mentioned. Feet flat, back straight, belt flat, etc...just because a child is 8 is not a valid criteria as we all know children's weight and heights vary greatly. Also...everyone please keep your kids in the back seat!

Safe & Secure: Choosing the right car seat for your child

I have a 6 year old still in a 5 point harness....I'm paranoid lol I say, if they still fit, keep them in it It's safer!
    Catherine
    Mama of 2 wonderful Children,
    July 2006 & January 2008

Expert Forum User

If they pass the 5-step test I'd be okay with it. Otherwise, they would use a booster.

The 5-Step Test

BTW -- sometimes kids will pass the 5-step test in 1 vehicle but not another. You'd want to check in any vehicle they ride in.

I'm careful with car seats too. In the van all 3 of my boys, ages 10.5, 8.5 and 7, ride in boosters; the oldest in a backless and the other two in a high-back. In the car only the youngest rides in a booster but I would prefer to have the 8.5 year old too but DH protests too much about having to help them get strapped in and they don't often travel in the car.

Until the seatbelt fits them properly they'll be in boosters.
    Jan, mommy to Gabriel (3/12/02), Theo (1/5/04) & Jack (8/11/05)

I would let them stop using it.

I use to be paranoid about car seats until I learned the hard way they can cause more damage if they are faulty than not using one at all. I know its rare but a faulty car seat put my baby on life support.

“life is not measured by the breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away“

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by a_bun_in_the_oven View Post
    If they pass the 5-step test I'd be okay with it. Otherwise, they would use a booster.

The 5-Step Test

BTW -- sometimes kids will pass the 5-step test in 1 vehicle but not another. You'd want to check in any vehicle they ride in.
    I read the 5-point test and frankly with #5 Can the child stay seated this way for the entire ride, every ride (awake and asleep)? than I still need a booster - I fall asleep all slumped over in the car - everytime.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2my2 View Post
    I would let them stop using it.

I use to be paranoid about car seats until I learned the hard way they can cause more damage if they are faulty than not using one at all. I know its rare but a faulty car seat put my baby on life support.
    I think your situation is far from the norm. You have never gone into details, but I believe your child was very young (under 1?) when it happened. Seat belt syndrome is real, and often occurs to children who transition out of a booster before they should. If the lap belt is not sitting where it should be it can cause serious abdominal internal injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by a_bun_in_the_oven View Post
    I think your situation is far from the norm. You have never gone into details, but I believe your child was very young (under 1?) when it happened. Seat belt syndrome is real, and often occurs to children who transition out of a booster before they should. If the lap belt is not sitting where it should be it can cause serious abdominal internal injuries.
    He was 2 months. Due to legal reasons I can't go into too much details on a public forum
    It was far from norm but I've learned no matter what things can happen. Obviously I follow all car seat rules and protect my kids as much as possible.
    Last edited by Mom2my2; 07-30-2012 at 10:29 AM.

“life is not measured by the breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away“

Expert Forum User

There is no way my 10.5 yr old would sit in a booster seat. My 7 yr old fits 2 of the NO booster guidelines but cause he is only 48 lbs I still like him in it. Once he hits 55lbs he is good without one. But this is my own thoughts and I go by the guidelines.
    Last edited by simpsongirl; 07-30-2012 at 11:57 AM.
    NO NOISE IS BETTER THEN HEARING A CHILD'S LAUGHTER

Expert Forum User

My just turned 8 year old DD is only 45lbs. In our van she sits much better with a booster so I tell her to use it (but I let her take the back off!). In our car she sits much better so I let her have the option (we only use the car once in a blue moon anyway.).