Expert Forum User

Default anyone have an l/o that is color blind, or partially color blind.

I don't know if he is too young to tell but we have concerns about ds1 and color.

he is a very bright kid and he knew his alphabet a long long time ago. he know his numbers and shapes and even words a long long time ago. but he can't get his colors.

he is consistently inconsistent if that makes sence.
    we just got the information to a pediatric optomitrist but he doesn't do good with any doctors so i see him freaking out and crying and not letting the doctor even look at him like usual. so i figured if anyone here had any btdt with this maybe they could shed some light on what to look for/ what the noticed about their l/o or what we are in for.
    ~Who ever said "don't cry over spilt milk" has never been a breast feeding mother with latch issues standing over a puddle

My ds is 31 months, he's very bright as well... has a very large vocabulary and knows a lot! He knows the names of all the colours but often says the wrong colour. He'll say “look a yellow bus“ and later say it's an orange bus or something so I think sometimes they just say what ever... Sometimes kids are just silly! I wouldn't worry too much about it yet. Ds confuses a lot of colours... purple/pink... organge/yellow... green/blue. Sometimes colours are tricky because there are so many shades of colours too. Have you tried putting a couple coloured blocks infront of him and asking him to find the yellow block, etc? I would just keep practising with him and see how it goes.

Handmade Headbands, Hats, Tutus and Accessories
    Check out Pretty Bambino Headbands, Hats and Accessories on Facebook!

www.facebook.com/PrettyBambinoHeadbands

Proud Mommy to Ethan and Ila

I've read that colours are the most difficult thing for children to learn and they typically don't learn them until 3 years old. My DD2 just turned 3 and so far the only colour she gets right consitantly is blue, but if I show her something thats a different colour and ask her to find other things that colour she can. I wouldn't worry about him being colour blind yet.

Dh is colour blind. So is his brother and his dad. I guess it is hereditary. He gets red and green mixed up. He is pretty good at guessing but at lot of the time he gets it wrong.

Expert Forum User

If he knows his numbers and letters I think you could do a test for colour blindness online. If he can see the letters or numbers then he isn't colour blind.
    FWIW my daughter is the same age. She can count to 11 and talks really well for her age but she thinks everything is red or purple :P

[/url]

they need to be able to trace using there finger. thats how they test for it, ds is going to be retest in oct for it. he wasnt quite old enough at his last vist with the eye doctor. im concern is that when working on colors he says one item is blue and is correct then a few items later he says blue again and when i hold them side by side and ask if they are the same color he says yes. and there not.

which dr are you going to?

Expert Forum User

i'll have to find the paper i can't remember anything lol.
    ~Who ever said "don't cry over spilt milk" has never been a breast feeding mother with latch issues standing over a puddle

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Heyden confused a lot of colours, had us very concenred. he went to the eye doctor and she assured us that he wasnt colour blind. a little while later he got his colours all figured out.

i wouldnt worry.
    jennifer mommy to 4 amazing kids!

I am colour-blind, which is EXTREMELY rare in women.

ALL of my sons are colour-blind - I don't have to test for it, It is carried on the “x“ gene.

Both of my grandfathers were colour-blind, my father is too, and my mother has one X for colour-blindness, and one normal. My sister got the normal x from mom, I got the colour-blind x from both parents, hence I am colour-blind. My daughter carries one colour-blind X (from me), and one normal (from my DH since he is not colour-blind). My boys only got my Xs, so they are colour-blind too.

There are 3 “types“ of colour-blindness. I am red-green. I can often identify colours independently, but can't pick them out of a pattern properly.

Sorry, DS2 is getting really upset right now. Will try to post more info once he is asleep. There is a website giving good basic info, I'll try to find it and post later.

Expert Forum User

my grandpa was color blind aswell a few other members of my family he saw only shades of grey

Ok, sorry that took so long. All three kids are finally asleep.

The first basic test is essentially a stack of cards (38 plates) with little coloured dots, all in the shape of a circle. Embedded in that circle of dots are numbers. Having a Colour Vision Deficiency (i.e. being colour blind), a person won't be able to “see“ the numbers. This card test is called Ishihara Colour Test. There are a couple of other tests too. One is having a row of organized coloured “pegs“, and you have to take a row of unorganized coloured pegs and duplicate the organized row, in the same order. It is called the Farnsworth arrangement test.

Here are a couple of sites, some have online examples of a couple of the Ishihara plates (I can only see plate no. 1 that has the number 12 embedded in it). But remember, monitors show colours slightly differently, so bear that in mind, if you want your son to do a quick look at the website plates on your own.

Ishihara Test for Color Blindness

Color Blindness Tests and Facts

It isn't the biggest deal if he is colour-blind, and also, it doesn't mean any other of your kids will be colourblind for sure. Out of 4 of us (same parents for all four), 2 of us are colourblind (one girl, one boy), and the other two are not (again, one girl, one boy). But I do have several other relatives (all male - lots of uncles and cousins) who are also colourblind, plus my dad and both grandfathers.

If your DS is colourblind, he can certainly still do pretty much everything anyone else does. He just might not be able to become a pilot, or an interior designer!

Hope I didn't overload you with info. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert Forum User

tyvm that was helpful.
    he got a bit confused with some of the numbers but they were hard to form for me and my vision is fine.
    he was ab;le to indetify the shaped in the dots so thats good.

but if he sees in grey he would be able to do that too....
    it was dark green with light orange/yellow...
    i'm thinking with the results we just go he is probably fine... but we will test again when he is older and see if he can vocalize better then
    thats for that info it was very helpful.

Expert Forum User

Colour blind people don't see in gray. The only way he would see in grey would be if he had no cones at all in his eyes, which would also lead to other vision problems that would have been really noticeable right now.

I'm thinking your DS is probably just fine, colours can be hard for some kids. He's only 2!

Expert Forum User

Now with 2x the fun for the price of one!
    Last edited by WateryTart; 07-26-2012 at 01:01 PM.

Expert Forum User

My kids see a regular optomitrist and he won't even test them until they are well into school. It's not a big deal.

Colour blindness in males is only inherited from the mother's side of the family.