Default I don't know how to do a poll..., so just a question.

My question is this:
    When you are having a run of bad luck, how do you view it in the context of religion?
    Do you think God is testing you?
    Do you ever think it is a punishment for sins, or ignoring God?
    Do you assume it is just a roll of the dice?

Sometimes when things are not going well, I will think of all the things I do wrong, and figure I'm being punished. But simultaneously, I think of God as loving and forgiving, and I am driving myself crazy trying to reconcile the two ideas.
    I am hoping maybe some other perspectives will help.

edit: I saw the poll come up after I posted, I know for next time
    Last edited by neohippie; 07-17-2012 at 06:43 PM. Reason: adding

Expert Forum User

I do see hard times as testing times. Strength, endurance,faith and love will all be tested. Its Scriptual.
    A Christian has no promise of an easy life.

I do not think God 'punishes' us here on earth. Sure often our rash decisions will likely end up in a bad result and then we wonder if perhaps we had sought Gods leading maybe it would have turned out ok. ?
    I used to think to that bad things were Gods punishment - but if God punished us here on earth- then why is there a Hell? (my op)
    Love isn't love till you give it away.

Expert Forum User

I think everything happens for a reason but I wouldn't generally think I'm being punished. I think that sometimes God allows us to experience something instead of sheltering us from it to help us grow in one way or another. Either in our faith, sharing our faith with others, becoming closer to family or friends, etc, etc. I don't usually understand why something was allowed to happen until the crisis/ experience is past though.
    Last edited by Findabhair; 07-17-2012 at 07:00 PM.

If I'm honest with myself, there is something God has been telling me to do for awhile, and I have been ignoring Him. I think he may be putting his foot down, so to speak.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by neohippie View Post
    If I'm honest with myself, there is something God has been telling me to do for awhile, and I have been ignoring Him. I think he may be putting his foot down, so to speak.
    That's possible. Pastors always talk about a “call“ being so strong that you can't possibly ignore it. Maybe pray about it, see where it goes. . .

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

No. I have had a lot of rough spots in my life, i dont beleive that i was being tested or punished. i am a strong beleiver in God and jesus (catholic) but dont personally believe that he does either of those things.
    jennifer mommy to 4 amazing kids!

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Upsidedownmuffin View Post
    That's possible. Pastors always talk about a “call“ being so strong that you can't possibly ignore it. Maybe pray about it, see where it goes. . .

I am with UDM on this one.

Gods call will keep calling us. The Holy Spirit will 'speak' to us over and over again in mysterious ways.
    Love isn't love till you give it away.

I believe God gave us free will and so any and all decisions we make are because of our experiences and the consequences of those experiences. I think he's sad when we make decisions that aren't what he wants us to, but he does not punish us for that. IME, we do a pretty good job of punishing ourselves. He's like the ultimate parent. He only wants what's best for us.

I also don't believe that 'everything happens for a reason' in the sense that most people say it, like there's some cosmic good that will come out of every bad thing if you just wait for it. The reason is whatever the reason was, how we react to the bad thing is what dictates any good coming out of it.

I think it depends. A lot of what we see as bad luck or negative really isn't in the grand scheme. When dh and I were both put of jobs people thought it was awful but it was totally part of Gods plan. I do think he develops traits through trials and I do think he uses negative events to get our attention. For example dh and I had a huge trial a bit over a year ago. God didn't do it to us but he used it to strengthen our relationship with him. I also don't feel like he will continue to chase us forever. If he knocks and knocks and we continue to figuratively say he isn't needed/ wanted then don't expect his blessings without sacrifice. He's a loving God but it is a relationship that we shouldn't try and walk all over.
    Last edited by princess2808; 07-17-2012 at 11:03 PM.
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/

I don't think he punishes us but he can allow trials in our life that may ultimately make us stronger or be good for us in some way.

For example when I was pregnant with DS1 I had a complete placenta previa. Not something someone wants. I was put on bed rest and my dad became palliative, because I was on bed rest I was able to see my dad more (because I was allowed to sit as much as I wanted and therefore could sit in the hospital and take a wheelchair to the room). If I wasn't on bedrest I would have been working full time 12 hour shifts which would have left little time to see my dad. My dad passed away the day before I had ds1, again a hard situation but I made it through it and I think it made me stronger.

Expert Forum User

I have thought about this a lot whenever someone was sick in my family or if someone passed away. I would wonder why my praying for them wouldn't help them stay alive (this was when I was younger for the most part). I do believe that God has “tests“ for us on earth. I also think that we all have potential to be/do the best we can while we're here so I guess I have looked at certain things as challenges to overcome. For instance, our financial problems I don't really feel is a test from God, but more of DH and I having issues with communication and being organized. I do feel though that I have slacked on going to church lately (when I was pg and since having DD2). I think that God has certain ways of getting your attention and I have thought that negative things happen for that reason at times. It's kind of confusing and I still don't really know how to feel about it sometimes.

Hailey - April 2008
    Scarlett - April 2012
    Troy - July 2014
    *Currently enrolled in the Perinatal Support Practitioner program through Babies Naturally and looking to attend births as a student doula. Please message me for details!*

I do agree with God using trials to strengthen certain character traits. I just thought this recent spate of bad things has been a way for me to learn to trust that He will provide. But I have been trusting, and keeping my spirits up, and giving my burden's to Him, and things keep getting worse. So I have to change tactics I guess. I haven't been going to church lately, but the few times I have gone, I haven't gotten “that feeling“. The one where you feel like this message is for me, like God is talking to me. Even my prayers feel like they're going nowhere.

I haven't been going to church lately, but the few times I have gone, I haven't gotten “that feeling“. The one where you feel like this message is for me, like God is talking to me. Even my prayers feel like they're going nowhere.
    I've been stressed and then the sermon on sunday is about not being stressed and depending on God not yourself. But it definitely doesn't happen all the time.

Also sometimes our trails can be long despite us trusting. Look at Job in the Bible - he trusted and had one bad thing after another happen and he stayed faithful.

I think maybe get back to the basics church/prayer (if needed try a different church?) because it's not us or our tactics (IKWIM). Even if your prayers feel like they are going no where they are not.

We have been taught to speak to our situation (or mountain), bad things are not Gods way, but he will use them to our advantage (to make us stronger). In the beginning when Satan was cast out of heaven he was sent here. And this is where he lives, so of course bad things happen, but we have authority over all, and you can tell or demand them to stop. Things will get better, you have to have faith.
    We were also taught that what you say is what you get, (if you are sick, and you say you are sick, then you are sick. But if you are sick and you say you are healthy, then the sickness won't last long, it will go away faster)
    Always speak positive.