Default Back to back pregnancies - experiences

Hi ladies,

I'm seeking advice on having back to back pregnancies since I found out we concieved 10 weeks after our 3rd child was born. Is there anything specific I should or shouldn't be doing? What are the risks that I should be aware of? Is there a number of ladies on here with personal experience? I'm afraid of having a preterm baby, especially since I have a blood clot in my uterus, and that seems to pop up a lot when you search up being pregnant again less then 6 months after giving birth.
    So please just share your experiences if you've personally gone through this or know someone who has!

Expert Forum User

Irish Twins.

I think it would be amazing to have kids so close in age. It will be hard for awhile, but I bet they will be the best of friends forever.

I don't have experience, but wish you well.

My kids were born almost exactly a year apart, so I do have some experience in this department.
    I remember being cautioned about possible preterm labor, but fortunately I did go full term with both kids.

It was a much tougher pregnancy than my first, I think mostly because a)your body hasn't fully recovered from the first pregnancy/birth, and b)you're exhausted from taking care of a young baby while pregnant.

Actually, maybe oddly, one thing that I found really tough (that no-one ever mentioned) was that I found my balance to be really off (especially towards the end). So this became a hazzard whenever I was carrying my first-born around (which obviously I did a lot, since he was just a baby himself). There was one time where I literally dropped him head-first on a concrete walkway (and ended up in ER myself).
    So my advice there would be just to take good care of yourself, and really listen to your body.

I hope you're feeling well!

There is a big payoff at the end. I love having my two so close in age. They are the best buddies.

Thanks for the advice and support ladies.

No advice but congrats on the irish twins!
    Deb - proud wife and mum of identical twin boys and a baby girl

A photography student...follow me as I keep learning more and more!
    www.facebook.com/DeborahGibbsPhotography

www.deborahgibbsphotography.com

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by elliesmom View Post
    Irish Twins.

I think it would be amazing to have kids so close in age. It will be hard for awhile, but I bet they will be the best of friends forever.

I don't have experience, but wish you well.
    Lol my mom is a twin and they can't stand each other

Expert Forum User

congrats on being so firtile lol.

i concieved #2 when#1 was 7 months old. and i learned later that some people get contractions. I'm not explaining my self well so i'll just tell you when i went through.
    at about 34 weeks I got labour contractions. 3 mins apart can't talk through em tipicle discription of labour. it would lastanywhere from 1 up to 6 hours then stop. and this was almost every day. they put me on bed rest which helped but if i sneezed stood peed what ever it would trigger contractions. I gave birth at 38 weeks and when I was checked the day before I was 6cm dialated.
    when he was finally out my uterous was so incredible brused and tired from all the contractions i was in alot of pain for about a week or so after.

aparently that sceneario happeneds alot in subsequent pregnancies. is there a name for it? probably but i don't know what it is and i don't wish it on anyone.
    ~Who ever said "don't cry over spilt milk" has never been a breast feeding mother with latch issues standing over a puddle

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleSurgenor View Post
    Thanks for the advice and support ladies.
    If you ever want to get together and vent/chat/cry lol let me know, im 14 weeks along with a 12 1/2 month old = I know they aren't as close as yours but I'm here!

Congrats! my sister and I are a year apart and while we hated it when we were kids, we are best buds now! I LOVED having a playmate all the time, and someone who was going thru the same things.

DMSco- I think its called pre something labour. I had it with DS from 24 weeks, thankfully delivered at 38 wks but HOLY it sucked!

Expert Forum User

My children aren't as close as yours will be, but my little ones are 12.5 months apart. While I did show earlier and seemed to experience a little bit more hip pain in my second pregnancy, overall I had an easier second pregnancy and delivery than with my first (which really wasn't that bad, either )
    I love having my kiddies so close - best of luck through your pregnancy!

We had #3 and 4 less than a year apart also (#3 is now 14 months old and #4 is 9.5 weeks)!

The only thing different for with this pregnancy that I'm told was probably due to the fact that it was so soon after having our third, was that I had a lot of preterm labour. I had hard contractions every 3 minutes for up to 12 hours and then they would just stop. Granted I wasn't doing anything to help them to continue. I would sit/lay down and do as little as possible. This started at about 34 weeks and then at 38 weeks I decided it was the real deal after over 24 hours of contractions every 3-5 minutes. We went to the hospital and I was 7cm and 4 hours later she was here.

It was definitely challenging having a baby while pregnant but luckily I had no morning sickness with #4 or getting up at 5am with #3 would have been unbearable!

Now that they're both here, it's busy and there are some hectic times but I LOVE it! The first 4 weeks or so were rough but now everyone's adapted and things are working well. Now my biggest concern is losing the baby weight! I gained 70lbs with #3 (45lbs in the last month due to preeclampsia) and 17lbs with #4 and my body has completely changed and I still have at least 40lbs to lose that's the hardest part for me right now.

Anyways, we should definitely get together sometime! I haven't found anyone who has 2 kids less than a year apart and only a few friends have 4 children.

Now

Expert Forum User

I have irish twins. They are 10 1/2 months apart. I think the hardest part for me with that pregnancy was exhaustion. I was so tired but it was so worth it in the end.

I'm dying from pregnancy exhaustion right now. I have some good days and some bad days. It's not fun.. part of me is counting down the days until I am no longer pregnant (mostly right now until I'm in my second trimester) the other part of me is dreading it because it means my baby girl will almost be 1 year old! Boy time flies though!