Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

WOW. Oh my gosh, that's a lot happening and coming your way. Where is she going to live when she moves here? By looking after her, do they mean all day, every day? Geez. That's a big adjustment. I hope the other thing they want to tell you is something good, like they're giving you a huge inheritance :/ Good luck, mama. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

Expert Forum User

Sorry for your loss

Expert Forum User

Sorry for you loss
    I can't see myself signing up for something like that unless you've been wanting to do it all your life. I know she is your grandmother and all, but if her kids don't/can't care for her they need to hire somebody not dump it on you. You already have enough as it is, what with 2 little ones and some health issues. But maybe that's how your family rolls, however if you are against it I would speak up now, cause it may be too late later. Someone with dementia is like a big oversized toddler with memory loss and other things, it's not easy. I just had this discussion with my husband's coworker.

Expert Forum User

she is going to be staying with my aunt which is 10 mins away from me. none of us can really afford to pay to have a full time care giver come to take care of her unfortunatly.

I'm not sure how i feel about it. not super excited that is forsure. she will be here sunday morning.
    my parents are staying in b/c to try and sort through all the stuff that have accumulated. they are having an auction house come and take the valuables so at least she can get some money out of them.
    ~Who ever said "don't cry over spilt milk" has never been a breast feeding mother with latch issues standing over a puddle

Expert Forum User

HA! Sorry but there would have to be some pretty clear guidelines set out before I'd allow my family to just assign that duty to me.

I'd tell them to contact CCAC and figure out what they are going to do. That's going to be like having another child or worse to care for and it's going to be a drastic change to both you and your children's lifestyles.

I'm sure you love her (and them) but it's not fair for them to just tell you this is how it's going to be so that the rest of the family can go earn a living while you care for her for nothing.

Sorry, I'll get out of your business now.....

Expert Forum User

its a good idea to contact ccac.
    i wish they would answer the stupid phone though lol.
    ~Who ever said "don't cry over spilt milk" has never been a breast feeding mother with latch issues standing over a puddle

Expert Forum User

Just catching up on all of this now. You/your family most definitely needs to get in touch with CCAC. I'm not sure how it works with her being moved from BC, but definitely check in with CCAC about what services would be available. People with dementia can be very difficult to deal with in new environments and especially when it comes to hygeine and that type of thing. She may qualify for some homecare services so someone might be able to come in the morning and and evening to help get her bathed/dressed, etc

Here some other info on Valleyview's Adult Day Program.

thehealthline.ca - Valleyview Home Long-Term Care - Adult Day Program - Alzheimers

I'm not sure if they have many openings right now or not, but they will come to the house and pick the person up and then bring them back home at the end of the day. There is even the option for some overnights if needed. They will also do baths if needed. $18/day (for transportation and bath) 3 days a week is well worth it.

Good luck to you all.

Expert Forum User

Just catching up on all of this now. You/your family most definitely needs to get in touch with CCAC. I'm not sure how it works with her being moved from BC, but definitely check in with CCAC about what services would be available. People with dementia can be very difficult to deal with in new environments and especially when it comes to hygeine and that type of thing. She may qualify for some homecare services so someone might be able to come in the morning and and evening to help get her bathed/dressed, etc

Here some other info on Valleyview's Adult Day Program.

thehealthline.ca - Valleyview Home Long-Term Care - Adult Day Program - Alzheimers

I'm not sure if they have many openings right now or not, but they will come to the house and pick the person up and then bring them back home at the end of the day. There is even the option for some overnights if needed. They will also do baths if needed. $18/day (for transportation and bath) 3 days a week is well worth it.

Good luck to you all.

Expert Forum User

i spoke with some of the people through ccac yesterday and they would come to the house and provide her with assistence from preping meals to helping her get to the bathr4oom and bath etc.
    but i will have to wait the 3 month probation period until her ohip card kicks in.
    the only way to expedite it is if she is going into a lang term care facility. which is b/s imo but thats besides the point.
    so i will have to care for her on my own until it kicks in.

Expert Forum User

I am thinking that the person you spoke with may be misinformed:

https://www.oma.org/Resources/Docume...re_pp13-18.pdf

From the above, states, if you move from another province, that province's HC covers the individual during the waiting period.

Secondly, if they want to play the Nsg home game, go ahead and tell them that you want to put her on the waiting list then. Pick really nice places with long waiting lists. Trust me, the waiting lists are long right now.

Did you speak with Elgin CCAC or Middlesex London CCAC?
    THANK YOU TO EVERYONE-WE WON! -BIG LM'S HUGS!!!
    ----------------------------------------------------

Please forgive me, I know that I can not spell
    ----------------------------------------------------

Treasure your loved ones, in a blink of an eye they can be gone and there is no second chance to show them how much you loved them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123